• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia to NY travel

mkatzpp

I have a concealed carry permit here in virginia. I am going to visit family in upstate NY for the holidays. Am i allowed to bring any handguns with me?

Primus

I have a concealed carry permit here in virginia. I am going to visit family in upstate NY for the holidays. Am i allowed to bring any handguns with me?

Do you have a license for NY? Or does Virginia have reciprocity with NY?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Primus

Then I'd have to say no good. But need to double check NY state leg. Also what is your intent? To carry it while in NY? Or just transport it there and store it?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

acmariner99

I believe you need to have a NYS permit for the pistol before you can even bring it into the state for any reason. If you don't have one, than I strongly suggest you leave the pistol behind. You are also subject to magazine limits (7 rounds in a 10 round magazine).

Virginian683

You will have the same carry rights in New York as you would in North Korea.

In short, none. And if found with a handgun you will be sent to prison (not jail) for a mandatory 3 year term.

That's not hyperbole. Even most NY residents cannot get a license to simply keep a handgun in their homes. IIRC there is a "duty to retreat" in NY law if you're attacked. NY is the most handgun-unfriendly anti-self defense state in the country.

Don't take a gun to NY. If you are going somewhere you think you need one -- don't go.

RK3369

as a former New Yorker..........

I think, for many reasons in addition to the virtual handgun ban in effect there, New York politicians should strongly consider ceding New York to Canada. It's policies are more like Canada's than anywhere else in the US. Glad I got out when I did.

WheelGun

New York

Take a look at the Wikipedia entry Gun Laws By State - New York. It's very well written (mostly by me.)

Basically you are screwed if you want to carry, or even possess a handgun without a NY State License.

They are not issued to non-residents (with rare exception for business carry for a non resident from a contiguous state, doing business in both states) and there is no reciprocity whatsoever with any other state.

Problem is that a license is required for both possession and carrying of a handgun.

Other problems include the fact that six US states (the New England states) require travel through New York in order to connect with the rest of the US.

The only states that are as bad are New Jersey and Maryland. All others have some provisions for either obtaining a non-res LTC, unlicensed open carry, or at minimum, tossing the gun in the trunk on the way through.

Not New York.

And yet I carry every moment of every day that I'm not at work, and often open carry in rural areas. Encounters with police (usually a wave as they drive by) are non-events. Needless to say I live upstate.

Last edited:

SP101

Campaign Veteran
Take a look at the Wikipedia entry Gun Laws By State - New York. It's very well written (mostly by me.)

Basically you are screwed if you want to carry, or even possess a handgun without a NY State License.

They are not issued to non-residents (with rare exception for business carry for a non resident from a contiguous state, doing business in both states) and there is no reciprocity whatsoever with any other state.

Problem is that a license is required for both possession and carrying of a handgun.

Other problems include the fact that six US states (the New England states) require travel through New York in order to connect with the rest of the US.

The only states that are as bad are New Jersey and Maryland. All others have some provisions for either obtaining a non-res LTC, unlicensed open carry, or at minimum, tossing the gun in the trunk on the way through.

Not New York.

And yet I carry every moment of every day that I'm not at work, and often open carry in rural areas. Encounters with police (usually a wave as they drive by) are non-events. Needless to say I live upstate.

I am a native of Delaware County, New York, and many of my friends and family have carry permits, but since I left NY I am no longer eligible for a NY permit. I have a LTCF for Pa. and a CWP for Utah, yet the PRONY does not trust me to carry when I visit home.

...I would also like to add that OPEN CARRY is ILLEGAL in New York. Here in Pa, I open carry every day without so much as a second look. So don't try to belittle others about your resident right to carry on one hand...and then talk about your own breaking of the LAW on the other.

Steeler-gal

At the risk of hijacking this thread I have an additional question. I am going to be working with a new client and traveling to NYC a lot over the next few months. I know i cannot carry my pistol. Is anything permitted for defensive carry? Pocket knife? Pepper Spray? Kubatan?

357SigFan

As others have more or less said, not just no, but ___ no. If you do not have a NYS Pistol permit, which you cannot get unless you are a NYS resident as far as I Know, you are not even allowed to TOUCH a handgun in a gun store, much less possess one in the state. There is the federal law that is supposed to allow you to transport one provided it is locked up and inaccessible and that you do not stop within the state, but.... That law does not apply if your destination is within the state. I too am glad I got out of that sewer.

Last edited:

OC for ME

At the risk of hijacking this thread I have an additional question. I am going to be working with a new client and traveling to NYC a lot over the next few months. I know i cannot carry my pistol. Is anything permitted for defensive carry? Pocket knife? Pepper Spray? Kubatan?
The State of New York prefers that you carry a cell phone for defensive purposes.....to call a cop.;)

RK3369

and.............

The State of New York prefers that you carry a cell phone for defensive purposes.....to call a cop.;)

, or to throw it at the BG. They can pretty much guarantee that a LEO will be there to help you within 30 or 40 minutes. I think if I was going to go back for any reason, I would most likely have a shotgun loaded with slugs in a case behind the seat or in the trunk. I believe that is still legal without a NY permit. As I understand it, you do not want to be caught with a handgun there and not have a NY permit. So, as a result, probably the best way to go to NY is to fly because you can't take your gun with you anyhow.

Last edited: