• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Freedom of Information Act requests

Shallnotbeinfringed

Has anyone used FIOA to request records from the Office of the Attorney General?

I would like to see any prosecutions arising from 61-7-7, specifically any convictions where the defendant was convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year where the prohibiting offense was a misdemeanor in another state.

For example, in Maryland, if a person is convicted of shoplifting (between $100 and $300 value) the maximum sentence is 18 months. Maryland classifies this crime as a misdemeanor. This person, should he move to West Virginia, is now prohibited from owning a firearm.

How would I start the process of getting court records pertaining to my subject?

davidmcbeth

Banned
court records are exempt from FOIA .... need to contact the clerk and make an inquiry as to how to get access to those records ...

as far as searching by the code violated? I doubt the court keeps such records as such cross referenced