• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawsuit: detained for openly carrying pistol

bigt8261

True! But Us Poor Folk DO NOT have the cash to Fight those using Our Cash/Taxes to defend violators!! FACT!

BTW, thank you. Your experience is making it easier for everyone coming after you. I know the plaintiff, and myself and others are standing by him to see this through.

Haman J.T.

BTW, thank you. Your experience is making it easier for everyone coming after you. I know the plaintiff, and myself and others are standing by him to see this through.
Precedent = Template = Step Forward = Goal/Freedom Restored! CARRY ON!

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Went back and reviewed the first few moments of Officer Moe's approach to the plaintiff. Nothing suspicious there, just a fellow walking down the sidewalk, heading east ACROSS the street from the church. Officer Moe was eastbound from Fuller, not running lights or siren, driving at a normal rate of speed, and caught up to the plaintiff near Lakeside Dr. Without waiting for backup, Officer Moe immediately draws his weapon, leaves the safety of the cover provided by his vehicle, and slowly walks down the middle of the street, fully exposing himself to any possible attack. Not exactly the actions of a man confronting a dangerous subject. Hmmmmm....

Raggs

Went back and reviewed the first few moments of Officer Moe's approach to the plaintiff. Nothing suspicious there, just a fellow walking down the sidewalk, heading east ACROSS the street from the church. Officer Moe was eastbound from Fuller, not running lights or siren, driving at a normal rate of speed, and caught up to the plaintiff near Lakeside Dr. Without waiting for backup, Officer Moe immediately draws his weapon, leaves the safety of the cover provided by his vehicle, and slowly walks down the middle of the street, fully exposing himself to any possible attack. Not exactly the actions of a man confronting a dangerous subject. Hmmmmm....

Let's hope the judge or jury agrees. Btw, who gets that choice of a jury or judge the defendants?

bigt8261

It has not yet, but I know requests are in to get it. I doubt either side of the case will post it, so it's likely going to take an FOIA from someone else. (I know MLive is already on it)

bigt8261

As I understand it the video was posted but later removed

The video that was removed had nothing to do with this case. I advised Mr. Deffert that people would be looking into his online life for anything stupid, relevant or not, and to limit his exposure as much as possible.

bigt8261

There was a video posted in one of the MLive comments from the plaintiff's YouTube account. It had nothing to do with the case as I referenced.

I'm not sure if there is a miscommunication here or not.

bigt8261

as the video is down we really don't know.

I think I do know. The video he took down was a 20 (or so) second video of him shooting his SCAR 17 outside in the winter. Not a big deal to anyone here, but we're not the ones looking for something stupid. When I saw the post, I IMed him and mentioned that he might want to limit his exposure. He took down the video shortly afterward.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I think I do know. The video he took down was a 20 (or so) second video of him shooting his SCAR 17 outside in the winter. Not a big deal to anyone here, but we're not the ones looking for something stupid. When I saw the post, I IMed him and mentioned that he might want to limit his exposure. He took down the video shortly afterward.

Excellent advice.
I am happy to see that this case is moving forward. It's been 3 years since my "incident" with GRPD, when a LEO attempted to forcibly yank my holstered pistol off of my hip while I was being questioned for open carrying at the New Year's Eve Ball Drop at Risa Parks Circle. I didn't have the LEOs draw on me and they pretty quickly let me be on my way when a crowd that formed around us started to chant "Let him go!"

Last edited:

DeSchaine

If he was shooting the SCAR in a lawful manner, then why should he have to take the vid down? Why are we, as law abiding citizens, trying to hide and "limit exposure" when what we really should be doing is using these opportunities to EDUCATE the ignorant masses on the lawful, safe and proper ways to handle firearms, as well as showing them that the only gun toting wackos they should be watching out for is the ones hired to supposedly protect us.

bigt8261

If he was shooting the SCAR in a lawful manner, then why should he have to take the vid down? Why are we, as law abiding citizens, trying to hide and "limit exposure" when what we really should be doing is using these opportunities to EDUCATE the ignorant masses on the lawful, safe and proper ways to handle firearms, as well as showing them that the only gun toting wackos they should be watching out for is the ones hired to supposedly protect us.

Again, you or I will likely see nothing wrong, but we are not the ones looking for something stupid. The video cannot help him legally.

I understand what you are saying, but this isn't the time for the plaintiff to fight that battle. He is currently working on another fight that will have a greater and farther reaching effect for the rest of us. It would be unwise for him to fight publicly, for the time being, but that doesn't mean we can't in his place, and that is exactly what I'm doing.