• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawsuit: detained for openly carrying pistol

lapeer20m

I love Dan m's quote about the paradox of discouraging Oc. It does ring true.

My guess is that if officers were encouraged in the past to harass law abiding gun owners, that encouragement has been revoked.

My prediction is that this is settled out of court.

Raggs

I love Dan m's quote about the paradox of discouraging Oc. It does ring true.

My guess is that if officers were encouraged in the past to harass law abiding gun owners, that encouragement has been revoked.

My prediction is that this is settled out of court.

I agree, at least the lawyers get their money huh.

If this is settled what good exactly will it do for open carriers?

FreeInAZ

Well we can hope that with enough of these law suits - GRPD will lose their insurance company coverage for liability. If that happens, then the money comes right out of city/tax payers pockets. Makes re-election difficult for city leaders who encouraged this type of police misconduct. :)

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

On our show At Odds we discussed a small town PD that had to close because it was sued like 3 times and they couldn't get any more liability insurance. So as others have wrote, after enough suits something will give.

lapeer20m

even this one suit, when settled out of court will likely change the behavior of GRPD and other communities in the future.

My guess is that when this is settled the agreement will go something like this:

Small monetary settlement, under $20K

plus
mandatory open carry reeducation for all GRPD officers
and GR will also agree to amend its unlawful firearm ordinance

Last edited:

Haman J.T.

even this one suit, when settled out of court will likely change the behavior of GRPD and other communities in the future.

My guess is that when this is settled the agreement will go something like this:

plus
Educating "Our Servants" on how to treat "Law Abiding Citizens" when they are "Exercising Their God Given Rights" IS the most Important Goal in order to Keep "Law Abiding Citizens" from being "Endangered" by "Unsafe gun pointing" which IS The Reason for Virtually All "Firearm Accidents"!! But thats just "Basic Firearm Safety"!! CARRY ON!

Hevymetal

plus

Let's hope it doesn't include a gag order. Also hoping the training can be provided by some MOC members, so they actually get trained (Now only if they choose the use what they are taught). Unless removal of the offending ordinances is included in the judgement, I highly doubt even this will cause them to remove the ordinances. Until the mayor and half the council is replaced I don't really see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I am in if there is a rally planned in support or a protest of the GRPD. I think a boatload of OCers at a city council meeting or two with the proper news coverage (call media outlets beforehand) might be beneficial. It certainly will add a little more egg to the mayors face.

Kudos to all the parties who are defending our rights on this one. You have my respect and admiration.

Thank You
Hevy

Raggs

Let's hope it doesn't include a gag order. Also hoping the training can be provided by some MOC members, so they actually get trained (Now only if they choose the use what they are taught). Unless removal of the offending ordinances is included in the judgement, I highly doubt even this will cause them to remove the ordinances. Until the mayor and half the council is replaced I don't really see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I am in if there is a rally planned in support or a protest of the GRPD. I think a boatload of OCers at a city council meeting or two with the proper news coverage (call media outlets beforehand) might be beneficial. It certainly will add a little more egg to the mayors face.

Kudos to all the parties who are defending our rights on this one. You have my respect and admiration.

Thank You
Hevy

I don't know if the attorney for Deffert is an MOC member but HE could likely school the police on the proper procedure. On the City's dime of course.

BrianB

Fired. Fired. Fired. Thats the only acceptable outcome here, the removal of these officers from the department.

To me, fired is not enough. Honestly I'd like to see officer Moe in jail. If you or I drew our sidearm and pointed it at someone - even if they were "talking to themselves" - I'm pretty sure we'd be in jail.

Of course it will never happen (officer Moe seeing the inside of a jail cell for his conduct) but in my opinion that's the "only acceptable outcome" here - everything else is second best.

bigt8261

They are also blaming Mr. Deffert.

The city says police acted in good faith and without malice. The city also blamed Deffert.

“Plaintiff’s injuries were caused, in whole or part, by his own actions.”

FreeInAZ

I don't know if the attorney for Deffert is an MOC member but HE could likely school the police on the proper procedure. On the City's dime of course.

Mr. Dulan is a board member of MCRGO and also the MI director the NRA's legal wing IIRC?

Hevymetal

Blaming the victim for being a "Free American", now that is a new one.

Well sure, he is to blame. They wouldn't have had to draw their weapons or cuff him or throw him on the ground or give him lectures on the law if he would have just left his gun at home. He brought it upon himself.

/sarcasm

FreeInAZ

Like a raped woman, he 'dressed provocatively and left the house.'

Yep. Do anything legal or not, that is not accepted by the "opinion" police, expect to get jammed up! That's our new AmeriKa / land of the free "as long as you don't: drive while black, promote civil rights, speak or act freely, ......" :(

For what it's worth - the more things change, the more they stay the same...."step out of line, the man comes and takes you away."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1sf8EpgkSQ

Last edited: