Thread: Optima V2 .50 cal pistol for drivers

Bellingham, Wa. city of Subdued Excitement

Optima V2 .50 cal pistol for drivers

Although designed for primitive-weapons hunting seasons, the Optima V2 may be gaining favor with long-haul truckers.

Now a weapon like this, filled with shot, could be very formidable. Is this a viable alternative to a modern firearm for drivers?

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Requires an optic? That's not necessary for truck defense, but I guess you could put a reflex type optic on it.

If a black powder gun is legal for defense, why would you use a single-shot? There are myriad revolvers out there, including the powerful and easy to maintain Ruger Old Army.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

North Carolina
    I could see a double BP shotgun, along with a BP revolver, but not a single shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus
    "Well.... If you take my hat. Decide to wear my hat. Its in your possession ."

"I call popo say "he has my hat i left it at his house". They go talk to you. You say its yours. Sounds like a civil court matter."

"Now I instead say he robbed me... Well popo done go and cuff you up I keep hat or it goes to go to court I testify you done did rob me. You now have to prove you didn't...."

Ohio, USA
    I would be concerned about over penetrating a target or missing. I think a medium caliber pistol would work out better.
    Last edited by zack991; 01-18-2014 at 06:11 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

United States

black powder

Why would you want to?

Richmond, VA
    Kinda feeling like the article already said it best.

Is the Optima V2 at $348.95 a better self-defense choice for long haul truckers than cap-and-ball revolvers, which offer you six fast shots and the ability to carry extra cylinders? Probably not, but if you’re heading afield this year for big game and want an added challenge, it does have performance good enough to fill the freezer.
    And: Is it better than any mag fed or revolver options? Not really. It's heavy, awkward, and for the love of god, it's a single shot, long time to reload black powder weapon. There's a reason no one uses that stuff anymore unless they absolutely have no other choice. I have no desire to be dinking with a ramrod while the person I just shot may be recovering enough to put a bullet in my ass, though he'll likely die as well...eventually.
    Last edited by Gallowmere; 03-12-2014 at 06:50 PM.