Thread: Avtomat Kalashnikov of 1947, designer Mikhail Kalashnikov dead at 94

Avtomat Kalashnikov of 1947, designer Mikhail Kalashnikov dead at 94

"The AK-47 — “Avtomat Kalashnikov” and the year it went into production — is favored by guerrillas, terrorists and the soldiers of many armies. An estimated 100 million guns are spread worldwide. Kalashnikov often said he felt personally untroubled by his contribution to bloodshed. “I sleep well. It’s the politicians who are to blame for failing to come to an agreement and resorting to violence,” he said in 2007.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...nikov-dead-94/
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-23-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

A sad day for all gun owners, and collections. My thanks to thee, Comrade Kalashnikov, for the many hours of simplistic enjoyment which your invention has given me thus far. Enjoy the nothingness of death, your work on earth is done, but not forgotten.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Kalashnikov was often asked if he felt guilty for the hundreds of thousands of deaths attributed to the AK. He said no, since he designed the weapon to defend his country; he was not responsible for how politicians or any person chose to (mis)use it. And he was right.

He also said that guns exist for self-defence; not for attacking others.

RIP a great engineer and honorary NRA life member Mikhail Kalashnikov.

http://rt.com/news/kalashnikov-dies-inventor-ak-47-887/

Founder's Club Member
    On the one hand, "blaming" Kalashnikov for the deaths of millions is like blaming John M. Browning for the deaths of millions.

On the other hand, I saw a documentary a few years ago (youtube) where Kalashnikov invented the AK47 as a response to the German Sturmghewer. So, in the end, he made that rifle intentionally and knowing full well Stalin wasn't going to let it be made and marketed to Russian peasants as an element of "a well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state..." Regardless of copies made and used in conflicts worldwide, he made the design for the Soviet government. And, that rifle was used to maintain the repression of the Russian people.

So, all in all, his is a heartwarming story about a self-taught engineer who became a celebrity for his firearm--but only as long as you overlook who his intended customer was and how it was used in his own country.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    On the one hand, "blaming" Kalashnikov for the deaths of millions is like blaming John M. Browning for the deaths of millions. [ ... ]
    So, all in all, his is a heartwarming story about a self-taught engineer who became a celebrity for his firearm--but only as long as you overlook who his intended customer was and how it was used in his own country.
    Might not the same be said of Eugene Stoner - someday?

Looking at his portrait I wonder if some of our problems with the Slavs-Russians is not for them being so similar to US - in appearance, if nothing else? Mikhail Kalashnikov could be grandfather to any number of my neighbors, the Jacobsens, the Hansens. I find it difficult, I found it difficult, to make the Rus 'enemy' while faced with the Orientals and the North Africans.

My boat had arranged a port call in Casablanca that was frustrated by the late arrival of a Soviet vessel. We, the crew, were very disappointed for not being able to meet on neutral ground our opponent adversaries that we had spent months - almost a year - surveilling. So long and so boring that, I, a snipe, caught two on sonar.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-23-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Might not the same be said of Eugene Stoner - someday?

Looking at his portrait I wonder if some of our problems with the Slavs-Russians is not for them being so similar to US - in appearance, if nothing else? Mikhail Kalashnikov could be grandfather to any number of my neighbors, the Jacobsens, the Hansens. I find it difficult, I found it difficult, to make the Rus 'enemy' while faced with the Orientals and the North Africans.

My boat had arranged a port call in Casablanca that was frustrated by the late arrival of a Soviet vessel. We, the crew, were very disappointed for not being able to meet on neutral ground our opponent adversaries that we had spent months - almost a year - surveilling. So long and so boring that, I, a snipe, caught two on sonar.
    So Russians are hard to be seen as an enemy because they're white, but black and tan Africans and Orientals are more distinguishable as enemies? Thank you for clearing that up! Those pesky darker skinned people are the real enemies, not the same-skinned people with nukes and a progressively-more-communist-by-the-month-popularly-elected-goverment.

Everything makes sense now.

Hey! Maybe we need to start designating red-men as more relative to being enemies, than anything, because they aren't so similar to US! And they have communist tribal pagan governments in our country!
    Last edited by DrakeZ07; 12-23-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: I can haz grammar?
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

He didn't outlive his children :3

Rest in Peace
    Last edited by Brace; 12-23-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Mikhail Kalashnikov dies at 94

they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Founder's Club Member
    There's already a thread on it. Come joint the fun here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ov-dead-at-94&

--Moderator merged threads--
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-23-2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: thread merger
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    On the one hand, "blaming" Kalashnikov for the deaths of millions is like blaming John M. Browning for the deaths of millions.

On the other hand, I saw a documentary a few years ago (youtube) where Kalashnikov invented the AK47 as a response to the German Sturmghewer. So, in the end, he made that rifle intentionally and knowing full well Stalin wasn't going to let it be made and marketed to Russian peasants as an element of "a well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state..." Regardless of copies made and used in conflicts worldwide, he made the design for the Soviet government. And, that rifle was used to maintain the repression of the Russian people.

the AK-47 actually was first inspired by the Garand, and the features of the STG 44 were added later when the commies got their hands on one...

regardless, Kalashnikov was a proud communist, he openly stated in interviews that he believe communism did good for his country and instilled national pride..... but he is hardly to blame for Stalin, stalin killed far more people before the 47 was even an idea, and by the time the soviets had entirely phased out the mosins and PPsHs and SKSs and replaced them with the AK Kruschev had determined mass murder to be the "out" strategy
    it must be noted, semi auto AKs are allowed for ownership in russia, and were in the USSR.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member