• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

notice to appear email stating court papers are attached is bogus

solus

thought i would share and provide a word to the wise!!

I received three separate emails from ticket_support@jonesday.com notifying me i had to appear in court of Washington the first of next year.
emails also advised to bring appropriate documents and witnesses
court notice is contained in attachment to the letter
note: if you do not attend the hearing the judge may hear the case in your absence.

yours
ms xyz
clerk of the Court.

jonesday is a large international law firm who was contacted and i was advised by the nice lady out of the DC office to destroy the email w/o opening the attachment and that the FBI has been notified to investigate the situation.

even tho the attachments have not been opened, all puters in my system are undergoing a deep scan

my final comment is whew, as i thought my significant other just found out about a ticket i might have received and forgotten about...

ipse

techhelplist.com

fake jonesday et al. emails about court appearance.

This is a malware email from a botnet called the "Asprox" botnet. The attached trojan, when run, joins your computer to the botnet.

They use infected computers for a variety of activities like ad fraud, bitcoin mining, scareware/ransomware, id theft, and of course sending more spam.

http://techhelplist.com/index.php/spam-list/439-hearing-of-your-case-in-court-nr-virus

This email will iterate through several law firms and court cities.

Before this email was a fake Adobe "thanks for purchasing license" email, essentially same malware attached.

Simply LOOKING at the email is harmless, just don't run the contents of the attachment. :)

Last edited: