• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns kill people

Dynamike

The title got your attention didn't it? It gets my attention too when I hear someone speak that deceiving line. It's not the guns, it's the people that do it. Majority it's the criminals. It enhances why we should open carry, to help protect others. Those gossipers want guns banned because of the wrong thoughts they have in their minds. I always say to them, "You want us to ban knives, stones, bats, chemicals, rope, finger nail files, cars, glass, and our hands too?"

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,,

someone needs to say it,,,,, I will be that someone...
WELCOME to the forum!!!
Your 1st post was exceptional!
your 2nd post was also really good.
the 3rd was soso, but youre just replying to a phrasing dude.

eye95

No. Guns save lives.

Oh, wait, they don't do that either. Guns don't do a damned thing.

That's my new slogan: Guns don't do a damned thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

mdak06

Guns kill people in the same way that spoons feed babies, that razors shave faces, and that chainsaws cut wood. I'm pretty sure that none of these objects do anything without a person manipulating them.

There are at least several reasonable options to use as a response to "guns kill people." Whenever I am conversing with an anti-gun person, I try not to be a smartass (even though it can be a struggle at times), because regardless of whether or not I'm able to convince a person that guns are a good thing, I want to leave a good impression of a gun owner. I also may be able to leave a good impression with any bystanders who overhear the conversation.

I'd probably use one or more variations of these:

* A gun is a tool that can be used by a small & weak female to defend herself from a large & strong would-be rapist. It is one of the few tools that is easy to use but powerful enough that it will give her the physical ability to repel an attack.

* A gun is a tool that can help an older, weaker senior citizen defend themselves from street thugs. It provides them with something that no other tool can - a way to counter an attack by those who are stronger and faster than they are.

* Just like a knife, or a baseball bat, or a rope, a gun is a tool. It can be used for good purposes or bad purposes.

Welcome to the forum.

Whitney

Now that I have your atttention..

I ran across this article in the NYT today When the Right to Bear Arms Includes the Mentally Ill

FYQ.
Last April, workers at Middlesex Hospital in Connecticut called the police to report that a psychiatric patient named Mark Russo had threatened to shoot his mother if officers tried to take the 18 rifles and shotguns he kept at her house. Mr. Russo, who was off his medication for paranoid schizophrenia, also talked about the recent elementary school massacre in Newtown and told a nurse that he “could take a chair and kill you or bash your head in between the eyes,” court records show.

Embedded in the article is reference to a 52-page report "Guns, Public Health and Mental Illness:An Evidence Based Approach for State Policy" containing a series of recommendations on improving state laws regarding mental health and guns. The report clearly articulates the "public health crisis" we are faced with, along with recommendations for states to enact stronger laws.

I'm not sure the evidence supports the findings but this is sure to be on future legislative agendas.

Be sure to read the last pages of the report to see who all the members of the consortium are. Also check out their website and decide for yourself, Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence . I found it a bit difficult to rationalize the findings and the so called health crisis after reading the links provided to the NRA and statement of principals. It is the same tired emotional diatribe cloaked in an official sounding report.

~Whitney

A

Antonioo

I ran across this article in the NYT today When the Right to Bear Arms Includes the Mentally Ill

FYQ.
Last April, workers at Middlesex Hospital in Connecticut called the police to report that a psychiatric patient named Mark Russo had threatened to shoot his mother if officers tried to take the 18 rifles and shotguns he kept at her house. Mr. Russo, who was off his medication for paranoid schizophrenia, also talked about the recent elementary school massacre in Newtown and told a nurse that he “could take a chair and kill you or bash your head in between the eyes,” court records show.

Embedded in the article is reference to a 52-page report "Guns, Public Health and Mental Illness:An Evidence Based Approach for State Policy" containing a series of recommendations on improving state laws regarding mental health and guns. The report clearly articulates the "public health crisis" we are faced with, along with recommendations for states to enact stronger laws.

I'm not sure the evidence supports the findings but this is sure to be on future legislative agendas.

Be sure to read the last pages of the report to see who all the members of the consortium are. Also check out their website and decide for yourself, Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence . I found it a bit difficult to rationalize the findings and the so called health crisis after reading the links provided to the NRA and statement of principals. It is the same tired emotional diatribe cloaked in an official sounding report.

~Whitney

Mmm interesting reading. Thanks for linking it :)

Joshua Wallace

Public School Policy and Police who do not uphold their oaths

We keep hearing about how schools are punishing students for nothing more than making a hand gesture or mentioning the word "gun" on the other side you have police who are treating law abiding citizens as criminals for using their 2nd Amendment right to bare arms. These two behaviors are programing children and citizens to fear guns and to look at those who carry as strange. I wrote alittle about this on my blog Guns, Government and Unrelated topics. http://joshuaswallace.blogspot.com

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We keep hearing about how schools are punishing students for nothing more than making a hand gesture or mentioning the word "gun" on the other side you have police who are treating law abiding citizens as criminals for using their 2nd Amendment right to bare arms. These two behaviors are programing children and citizens to fear guns and to look at those who carry as strange. I wrote alittle about this on my blog Guns, Government and Unrelated topics. http://joshuaswallace.blogspot.com
"Bare" arms are not required to exercise the RKBA :p

Hope you intend to do more than post about your blog.

Joshua Wallace

oops.

I meant bear arms. I have open carry and other rights issues posted on my blog. Hence the title: gun's, government and other related topics.:lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I meant bear arms. I have open carry and other rights issues posted on my blog. Hence the title: gun's, government and other related topics.:lol:

Simple solution so that all of your posts won't be about your blog = make your blog address your signature line.