• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

357 Sig Ballistics needed

fire suppressor

It looks like with a simple barrel change I can change my XD 40 into a 357 Sig. I am still doing my research but it looks like I am even able to use the same magazines. As we all know two guns is better than one I am considering the investment of a new barrel. Not knowing anything about the 357 Sig my question is how does its performance compare to the 40 S&W. To be precise my daily carry rounds for my XD is Winchester PDX1 165 grain.

09jisaac

I know Glocks and M&Ps only need a simple barrel change to switch between .40 s&w and .357 sig. It is probably the same on the XD line. I don't know of a single firearm that needs a different magazine for the .40 and .357.

The .357 sig is essentially just a .40 s&w case necked down to a 9mm projectile.

In my limited experience with the .40 and .357 sig I find the .357 to have slightly sharper recoil. In a full-size firearm it is controllable though.

I don't think there is much advantages to get a .357 sig barrel. Ammo is usually hard(er) to find and is more expensive than .40.

I think you would be better served spending the money on more .40 ammo.

fire suppressor

Thanks for the info. Looking at the process it does look like all I need is a new barrel. I was hoping for a difference in ballistics but if there is not much difference I'll just stick with my 40. Thanks

09jisaac

Thanks for the info. Looking at the process it does look like all I need is a new barrel. I was hoping for a difference in ballistics but if there is not much difference I'll just stick with my 40. Thanks

There can be a difference in ballistics but most self defense rounds conform to similar standards. The .357 sig can penetrate more but this may not be much of an advantage as the .40 and even the 9mm penetrate adequately.

If you can shoot a .40 well then you can probably shoot a .357 well and vice versa.

I was just saying that I don't find any significant reason to choose the .357 over the .40.

Like I said, I have a very limited experience with both.