• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Iphone App to record police with offsite storage

sudden valley gunner

Or maybe you make up the "press" idea as you go? It seems other on this forum who are more familiar with you then I seem to think you tend to chase cops around unterfer somehow then say "stop I'm the press".

You mention the TV shows, yea they sign a contract and agree to be followed. You mentioned media... well yea when they show up with a huge van with a satellite they know they are media. When just some dude comes ruling up with a mini cam and says "I'm the press" I don't know if I'd believe it either.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

You do realize the right isn't for the press? The right is the use of the press and all of us have it. He has the right to show up and record events and disseminate the information he finds and his opinion on it.

stealthyeliminator

You do realize the right isn't for the press? The right is the use of the press and all of us have it. He has the right to show up and record events and disseminate the information he finds and his opinion on it.

Don't try that in New York... "City issued press badge?" "No, I'm with ...." "Get on the bus"

JustaShooter

That bambuser sounds pretty bitchen. I'll check to see if it's available for Iphone.

It is - but as has been mentioned elsewhere, it has some drawbacks: First, you can't just leave it running all day. Not nearly enough battery power. That means you have to turn it on when you want it running which takes time (especially if you keep your phone password locked as you should), and can either be forgotten or in the worst case misconstrued as reaching for something else. And since it uses the phone's mic, if you get a call it stops recording. It has its uses but as a primary recording device for every day use (especially for recording your own encounters) it isn't the best choice IMO.

onus

Or maybe you make up the "press" idea as you go?

I didn't make up the idea, James Madison did and congress approved of it in 1791.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Was Alma Lovell a member of the press ? That was the question posed to SCOTUS in 1937 when Lovell, a Jehovahs Witness, was arrested for distributing religious pamphlets in violation of a city law.

"The liberty of the press is not confined to newspapers and periodicals. It necessarily embraces pamphlets and leaflets. These indeed have been historic weapons in the defense of liberty, as the pamphlets of Thomas Paine and others in our own history abundantly attest. The press in its connotation comprehends every sort of publication which affords a vehicle of information and opinion"

If the SCOTUS believed a woman handing out 41 pamphlets was the press then surely a man who has over 4 million views on Youtube and Liveleak would also constitute the press.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I didn't make up the idea, James Madison did and congress approved of it in 1791.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Was Alma Lovell a member of the press ? That was the question posed to SCOTUS in 1937 when Lovell, a Jehovahs Witness, was arrested for distributing religious pamphlets in violation of a city law.

"The liberty of the press is not confined to newspapers and periodicals. It necessarily embraces pamphlets and leaflets. These indeed have been historic weapons in the defense of liberty, as the pamphlets of Thomas Paine and others in our own history abundantly attest. The press in its connotation comprehends every sort of publication which affords a vehicle of information and opinion"

If the SCOTUS believed a woman handing out 41 pamphlets was the press then surely a man who has over 4 million views on Youtube and Liveleak would also constitute the press.

Of course it does, but Fienstein and him are irritated that a 17 year old can film them and publish it, so they want the press to mean something they can control.

Primus

Oh, you mean you screwjacks make something up, eh? Good to see you admit it, but worthless blather from Wall-o-txt guy.

That was helpful for the thread. I like the screwjacks part. Especially since he hasn't said a word to insult you in any way. He asks a question and guys gotta get all excited about it.

Wise man once said "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything".

Primus

Of course it does, but Fienstein and him are irritated that a 17 year old can film them and publish it, so they want the press to mean something they can control.

I could care less. Pretty sure I've made Facebook and YouTube before. I could care less other then I don't get any royalties from it lol

sudden valley gunner

I could care less. Pretty sure I've made Facebook and YouTube before. I could care less other then I don't get any royalties from it lol

You missed the point, sarcasm is lost on you, apparently so is logic.

Listen, the point is you don't get to define "the press" neither does Feinstien.

Primus

You missed the point, sarcasm is lost on you, apparently so is logic.

Listen, the point is you don't get to define "the press" neither does Feinstien.

I'm not implying that I personally do. I'm certainly not implying I should be determining if some guy in CA is "press". I'm pretty sure there are rules as to what constitutes "press". For example do you think he'd just walk into the white house or capital hill as a "press" agent? I don't know for certain but I doubt it.

And again he can videotape all he wants its annoying but oh well.

onus

I'm not implying that I personally do. I'm certainly not implying I should be determining if some guy in CA is "press". I'm pretty sure there are rules as to what constitutes "press". For example do you think he'd just walk into the white house or capital hill as a "press" agent? I don't know for certain but I doubt it.

Can I walk into the white house or capitol hill ? No. But neither can 99% of "real press".

A press pass is nothing more than an invitation from the host.

For instance, when the Lakers, a corporation, play a basketball game at Staples Center, they issue passes for certain media people. These passes are nothing more than a corporation giving a person access onto and into private property for the purposes of documenting the corporations employees.

Walmart, a corporation, does the same thing.

Who gave the Lakers and Walmart permission to issue press passes ? Walmart and the Lakers did.

When Puff Daddy throws a celebrity party in the Hamptons his public relations agent will issue press passes. These passes will go to "reporters" from magazines and websites that are favorable to Puff Daddy and will only print complimentary things. The government does the same thing.

Does someone need to be licensed to issue a press pass ? No.

If a person does not have a press pass does that mean they aren't the press ? No.

Is there a test someone has to take to become a member of the press ? No.

Is there a permit someone needs to have to be a member of the press ? No

How does someone get those cool laminated press credentials that "real press" members have ? Simple....a corporation gives them to you.

Do certain government agencies honor some laminated passes and not others ? Yes.

Is it fair ? No.

Legal ? Yes

Many police agencies in America are now no longer issuing press credentials for legal reasons. The main reason is because there is legal precedent that the government cant decide who is press and who isn't.

However, government agencies can decide how many people can fit into their briefing room.

eye95

Wow, someone is bitter. Why take anything from this forum personally? Rhetorical question - I'm not looking to derail PALO's thread.

BS. If you really did not want to derail the thread, you would not even have responded. You were quite rude three posts in a row, and then promptly asked me for a favor. Not a smart way to get help.

sudden valley gunner

And again he can videotape all he wants its annoying but oh well.

LOl...do you even read what you write?

I'm certainly not implying I should be determining if some guy in CA is "press".

I'm pretty sure there are rules as to what constitutes "press"

....LOL....What a cop out, to the original assertion that he makes up the press idea as he goes....

There is no constitutional right to be a press. Do you get that?