Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serpa Holsters, yes? No?

Serpa Holsters, yes? No?

I've heard a million and a half people say that serpa holsters are no good and just as many claim they're great. What's the deal? I've been looking at getting one for my SD40. Anybody have a legitimate reason to not get one? Is it just a personal preference thing? I'm really not getting it...

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/blac.../0000000066097

This is the model I'm looking at.

Personal preference I run one with my clock and I love it. It does like your finger up in the trigger well sometimes but you defeat that just by range time. Or just practicing drawing and holstering and you'll be fine.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

I've used them for years. With both the Beretta M9 in the Army and with my personal Glock.

I did have a pistol get stuck in the holster once. I had re-holstered the gun and my shirt got caught got pulled inside under the gun. Even with it stuck inside was able to release the mag and clear the chamber before prying it out. That was a freak occurance and my fault. It hasn't happened again in the probably 1,000+ times since then.

The SERPA isn't my only holster but it is my favorite for OC.

I have three Serpas in carbon fiber for my Glocks. I actually like them and know that they are secure. I do highly recommend to practice with them at the range. I have a couple holsters that Dan Hillsman has made for me that work quite well. I have accumulated a box full of Galco leather holsters through the years. The only problem with the leather is it tends to creak when you walk. My favorite leather holsters are Mitch Rosen as they don't make any noise.

As everyone has said, they're workable; but they are not the best solution.
    For roughly the same price, a Safariland 6377 or 6378 is a better purchase. They both have a thumb release but the -78 includes both paddle and belt attachments.

I ran a Serpa for a number of years, quite safely, but I upgraded and didn't look back.

Ohhhh Great, another Serpa thread...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

me2post

I found my serpa wasn't a close fit to my body as i liked so I felt it stood out horrifically when i OC'd.

I also experienced the finger following into the trigger which takes tremendous practice to break the natural flow and wasn't sure in a urgent situation i wouldn't resort back to 'olde' habits.

trust me when clothing gets caught in the holster there is new words used trying to get the firearm free.

I switched several years ago and I went to Galco for my carry firearm(s) since i couldn't find any other types, besides MIKES, to try a form, fit, and function on in the local stores.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Ohhhh great, another useless comment...

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    me2post

I found my serpa wasn't a close fit to my body as i liked so I felt it stood out horrifically when i OC'd.

I also experienced the finger following into the trigger which takes tremendous practice to break the natural flow and wasn't sure in a urgent situation i wouldn't resort back to 'olde' habits.

trust me when clothing gets caught in the holster there is new words used trying to get the firearm free.

I switched several years ago and I went to Galco for my carry firearm(s) since i couldn't find any other types, besides MIKES, to try a form, fit, and function on in the local stores.

ipse
    I hadnt considered this...

Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    Ohhhh great, another useless comment...
    His point MAY be that there have been plenty of threads and comment on SERPA that may be found with the search function or with an external search engine's site search, SERPA site:forum.opencarry.org Every newbie that shows up thinks that no one else has ever had such perspicacious thoughts. PHUI
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Welcome Wimwag. Merry X-Mas! We are all NOT crusty net scrooges here. Serpa's are a source of debate from the tacti-cool crowd. They are from my personal experiences, a decent holster. Just depends on your needs. Most failures have occurred from police drills doing the Homer Simpson circle drill in the gravel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjiI-StE-T8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Welcome Wimwag. Merry X-Mas! We are all NOT crusty net scrooges here. Serpa's are a source of debate from the tacti-cool crowd. They are from my personal experiences, a decent holster. Just depends on your needs. Most failures have occurred from police drills doing the Homer Simpson circle drill in the gravel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjiI-StE-T8
    Exactly, "just depends on your needs." If I trip over the cat and fall, its not going to fall out or lose it when riding the motorcycle. Years ago living in Lakeland, Fl., a friend found a Lakeland Police dept. motorcycle cops beretta in the road where it fell out of his holster. I've never had an issue drawing from the serpa. My older brother carries a bullet in his leg from when he tried to quick draw years ago. luckily is was a .22 and not a Colt Peacemaker. If we all agreed on the same gear, this would sure be a boring forum.

I've heard a million and a half people say that serpa holsters are no good and just as many claim they're great. What's the deal? I've been looking at getting one for my SD40. Anybody have a legitimate reason to not get one? Is it just a personal preference thing? I'm really not getting it...
    Legitimate reason? Any reasoning that makes you decide one way or the other is legitimate. Others may disagree, but that's life.

It is a personal preference. You may have to try different ones and prefer one over the other and no one can tell you that you made the wrong choice.

Get the Serpa if you like them.

You really don't get that everybody has their own opinion? Really?

I like my Serpa. I know of no legitimate reason for you to not get one. Now you know another person's opinion . . .
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

My personal preference for OC is the Serpa CQC that I use with my XDm 9mm. Love the holster for OC. Tried a couple of others but settled on the Serpa. Since buying it, my son-in-law, his father and his brother have all purchased Serpas.

I have several CC holsters, and I tend to favor the Sticky Holsters (I now have 3 of those), and a customized Kydex/leather/two clips hybrid. But, I OC 95% of the time, so the Serpa gets used most.

Read through this thread, if you can stomach the arguments...

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...guard-too-soon

Bottom line to me personally, if you choose Serpa, train like there is no tomorrow and you're fine. Practice, practice, practice. Then once you've practiced that, practice more.

It's not the holster that is an issue, it's the user. Just know where the issues are and correct them.

(PS, I do have a Serpa, but I don't really like it because the plastic is too flexible for my personal taste. But that's not really a knock on the holster.)

Quote Originally Posted by Running Wolf View Post
    You really don't get that everybody has their own opinion? Really?

I like my Serpa. I know of no legitimate reason for you to not get one. Now you know another person's opinion . . .
    I've heard arguments that because its a $30 holster it will kill you. From a guy with a $12 Walmart holster...so what I mean by "legitimate" is your experiences or problems you've had.

Opinions are like a holes dude, everyones got one and nobody wants to see anyone else's.
    Last edited by wimwag; 12-27-2013 at 03:43 PM.

i use one with my SD. you need size 25 for the sigma/m&p pistols. i love mine and have had no issues with it ever. for the most part the issues come in user error. learn to draw without firing the gun and you will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    me2post

ipse
    No you didn't cause that's not possible at all in any way ever... [/sarcasm]

Sorry, couldn't help myself. It's a well know affect of adrenaline boost that you lose fine motor skills. Under the stress of the event, you will only be able to accomplish gross motor. SOME would argue that pressing any button is enough of a fine motor skill to negate it for carry. Not sure personally, but if you practice enough you should be able to make it an unconscious effort.

The only other potential issue would be panic confusion over the holster if you carry many different styles. Say you have a thumb activated holster, one that's serpa style, simple kydex etc... If you rotate them frequently, you may find yourself forgetting which you are wearing and try to do the wrong release action.

Personally, I prefer a reflex type action with no buttons. That's personal preference. My IWB is a locked in place holster that requires a slight wrist twist to unlock and draw. Very natural and no buttons to press. I finally found an OWB holster that has the exact same motion to unlock it's retention and now that's what I use. Eventually, I'll be replacing all of my holsters with that style so that no matter which gun I wear, the draw motion is identical whether IWB or OWB. That my personal preference, so I wouldn't expect anyone else to have the same feelings.

never had an issue with finger falling into trigger guard. when i draw my index finger goes along the frame right below the slide and never goes into the trigger guard. it comes down to personal preference. i have carried in my serpa for 13+ months with no issues. i am comfortable with it. and i have practiced alot. my LGS range made me do 15-20 "dry" runs before allowing me to pull from my holster and fire on their range. they said typically we dont allow drawing from a serpa but you seem to have it down to where you wont mess around and put a round through your leg.

try alot of holsters, find what you like. ask the LGS to supply a unloaded display model of your firearm, never pull out your firearm in a store. thats about all i can add to this one at this time

Quote Originally Posted by SD40VE View Post
    never had an issue with finger falling into trigger guard. when i draw my index finger goes along the frame right below the slide and never goes into the trigger guard. it comes down to personal preference. i have carried in my serpa for 13+ months with no issues. i am comfortable with it. and i have practiced alot. my LGS range made me do 15-20 "dry" runs before allowing me to pull from my holster and fire on their range. they said typically we dont allow drawing from a serpa but you seem to have it down to where you wont mess around and put a round through your leg.

try alot of holsters, find what you like. ask the LGS to supply a unloaded display model of your firearm, never pull out your firearm in a store. thats about all i can add to this one at this time
    When drawing my finger always goes straight outwards and ends up just forward of the ejection port. But then again that's just the way I was taught. I imagine with the location of the release button that some people have shot themselves, but it seems to me that if I let my finger slide on the draw that it would correct and land where it.usually does.

I apologize for the mangled hand. It broke a few years ago dispatching a couple high schoolers that called themselves a gang and my doctor was way past retirement age.

Centurion
    I've carried almost exclusively with a Serpa Blackhawk holster with SEVERAL different firearms for seems like at least the last 5 years. I like them. I've got a stress test story to share also..

1 Obese, old, diabetic Motorcyclist
    1 800lb motorcycle at 70 MPH
    1 OC Kimber Compact 1911 in a Serpa Holster strongside on MOTORCYCLE OPERATOR
    1 Buck Mule deer and 2 doe standing still in the middle of the road blocking my intended direction of travel just after sunrise on a small 2 lane highway.
    1 Son who for a short bit thought he just watched his father die.

Sound made at point of impact with Buck was VERY LOUD. Buck died-- point of impact by motorcycle was just behind his left shoulder flush on the ribs--- even severed his left hind leg from him. The feeling I had while flying down the roadway was MUCH better than the feeling of the road rash that began very shortly after. The best feeling was coming to a "safe" stop on the side of the road in the softest sand and brush you can imagine. The Motorcycle died. The son was relieved when his dad very clearly said to him (as the first words spoken post collision/tumble---) as I called him by name, "Call your mom, tell her what has happened, tell her I am alright!"

BTW--- the holstered firearm was STILL holstered and on my strong side hip with zero damage to the firearm. Holster has some abrasions near the muzzle end that extended a bit past the muzzle of the firearm but is still in use.

This was my Stress test of the retention ability of a Serpa Blackhawk holster. I do not recommend you attempt your own similar test as YMMV! LOL
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    I've carried almost exclusively with a Serpa Blackhawk holster with SEVERAL different firearms for seems like at least the last 5 years. I like them. I've got a stress test story to share also..

1 Obese, old, diabetic Motorcyclist
    1 800lb motorcycle at 70 MPH
    1 OC Kimber Compact 1911 in a Serpa Holster strongside on MOTORCYCLE OPERATOR
    1 Buck Mule deer and 2 doe standing still in the middle of the road blocking my intended direction of travel just after sunrise on a small 2 lane highway.
    1 Son who for a short bit thought he just watched his father die.

Sound made at point of impact with Buck was VERY LOUD. Buck died-- point of impact by motorcycle was just behind his left shoulder flush on the ribs--- even severed his left hind leg from him. The feeling I had while flying down the roadway was MUCH better than the feeling of the road rash that began very shortly after. The best feeling was coming to a "safe" stop on the side of the road in the softest sand and brush you can imagine. The Motorcycle died. The son was relieved when his dad very clearly said to him (as the first words spoken post collision/tumble---) as I called him by name, "Call your mom, tell her what has happened, tell her I am alright!"

BTW--- the holstered firearm was STILL holstered and on my strong side hip with zero damage to the firearm. Holster has some abrasions near the muzzle end that extended a bit past the muzzle of the firearm but is still in use.

This was my Stress test of the retention ability of a Serpa Blackhawk holster. I do not recommend you attempt your own similar test as YMMV! LOL
    Sold. Lol

No

I've used them and trained people that used them. One thing I've seen is regardless of how skilled you are, there is potential of a unintentional discharge when drawing the firearm. With Simmunitions and during combatives training guys pushed too hard on the finger release mechanism and shot themselves. These guys were well trained, but the induced stress causes the body to tense up a little more. On a live range, I've also seen two well trained individuals shoot themselves trying to draw fast. Why? Because of stress and they were trying to go fast. Two things that "might" happen in a real gunfight.

The other negative is that if something gets stuck behind the release button, you're screwed. I've seen this happen three times. First time I was training a military unit and the guys went prone. Later when they tried to draw, half of them could not get their pistols out because because dirt and pebbles got behind the release button. Another time we were in the mountains and one of the guys fell down. When he started cleaning snow off of himself, he tried to un-holster his pistol to knock snow off of it. Snow got stuck behind the release button. We were shooting from cars and one of the guys couldn't get his pistol out because glass had fell behind the release button.

When many civilian shooting courses and FLETC ban the use of the SERPA, that's an indicator. There are plenty of suitable replacements available.
    Last edited by nousdefions794; 12-28-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast