• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Serpa Holsters, yes? No?

wimwag

I've heard a million and a half people say that serpa holsters are no good and just as many claim they're great. What's the deal? I've been looking at getting one for my SD40. Anybody have a legitimate reason to not get one? Is it just a personal preference thing? I'm really not getting it...

Primus

Personal preference I run one with my clock and I love it. It does like your finger up in the trigger well sometimes but you defeat that just by range time. Or just practicing drawing and holstering and you'll be fine.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

De5115

I've used them for years. With both the Beretta M9 in the Army and with my personal Glock.

I did have a pistol get stuck in the holster once. I had re-holstered the gun and my shirt got caught got pulled inside under the gun. Even with it stuck inside was able to release the mag and clear the chamber before prying it out. That was a freak occurance and my fault. It hasn't happened again in the probably 1,000+ times since then.

The SERPA isn't my only holster but it is my favorite for OC.

BLKH2O

I have three Serpas in carbon fiber for my Glocks. I actually like them and know that they are secure. I do highly recommend to practice with them at the range. I have a couple holsters that Dan Hillsman has made for me that work quite well. I have accumulated a box full of Galco leather holsters through the years. The only problem with the leather is it tends to creak when you walk. My favorite leather holsters are Mitch Rosen as they don't make any noise.

Fallschirjmäger

As everyone has said, they're workable; but they are not the best solution.
For roughly the same price, a Safariland 6377 or 6378 is a better purchase. They both have a thumb release but the -78 includes both paddle and belt attachments.

I ran a Serpa for a number of years, quite safely, but I upgraded and didn't look back.

solus

me2post

I found my serpa wasn't a close fit to my body as i liked so I felt it stood out horrifically when i OC'd.

I also experienced the finger following into the trigger which takes tremendous practice to break the natural flow and wasn't sure in a urgent situation i wouldn't resort back to 'olde' habits.

trust me when clothing gets caught in the holster there is new words used trying to get the firearm free.

I switched several years ago and I went to Galco for my carry firearm(s) since i couldn't find any other types, besides MIKES, to try a form, fit, and function on in the local stores.

ipse

wimwag

me2post

I found my serpa wasn't a close fit to my body as i liked so I felt it stood out horrifically when i OC'd.

I also experienced the finger following into the trigger which takes tremendous practice to break the natural flow and wasn't sure in a urgent situation i wouldn't resort back to 'olde' habits.

trust me when clothing gets caught in the holster there is new words used trying to get the firearm free.

I switched several years ago and I went to Galco for my carry firearm(s) since i couldn't find any other types, besides MIKES, to try a form, fit, and function on in the local stores.

ipse

I hadnt considered this...

FreeInAZ

Welcome Wimwag. Merry X-Mas! We are all NOT crusty net scrooges here. Serpa's are a source of debate from the tacti-cool crowd. They are from my personal experiences, a decent holster. Just depends on your needs. Most failures have occurred from police drills doing the Homer Simpson circle drill in the gravel. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjiI-StE-T8

BLKH2O

Welcome Wimwag. Merry X-Mas! We are all NOT crusty net scrooges here. Serpa's are a source of debate from the tacti-cool crowd. They are from my personal experiences, a decent holster. Just depends on your needs. Most failures have occurred from police drills doing the Homer Simpson circle drill in the gravel. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjiI-StE-T8

Exactly, "just depends on your needs." If I trip over the cat and fall, its not going to fall out or lose it when riding the motorcycle. Years ago living in Lakeland, Fl., a friend found a Lakeland Police dept. motorcycle cops beretta in the road where it fell out of his holster. I've never had an issue drawing from the serpa. My older brother carries a bullet in his leg from when he tried to quick draw years ago. luckily is was a .22 and not a Colt Peacemaker. If we all agreed on the same gear, this would sure be a boring forum.

Bernymac

I've heard a million and a half people say that serpa holsters are no good and just as many claim they're great. What's the deal? I've been looking at getting one for my SD40. Anybody have a legitimate reason to not get one? Is it just a personal preference thing? I'm really not getting it...

Legitimate reason? Any reasoning that makes you decide one way or the other is legitimate. Others may disagree, but that's life.

It is a personal preference. You may have to try different ones and prefer one over the other and no one can tell you that you made the wrong choice.

Get the Serpa if you like them.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran

You really don't get that everybody has their own opinion? Really?

I like my Serpa. I know of no legitimate reason for you to not get one. Now you know another person's opinion . . .

RemohGramps

My personal preference for OC is the Serpa CQC that I use with my XDm 9mm. Love the holster for OC. Tried a couple of others but settled on the Serpa. Since buying it, my son-in-law, his father and his brother have all purchased Serpas.

I have several CC holsters, and I tend to favor the Sticky Holsters (I now have 3 of those), and a customized Kydex/leather/two clips hybrid. But, I OC 95% of the time, so the Serpa gets used most.

mobiushky

Read through this thread, if you can stomach the arguments...

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...es-finger-to-slip-into-trigger-guard-too-soon

Bottom line to me personally, if you choose Serpa, train like there is no tomorrow and you're fine. Practice, practice, practice. Then once you've practiced that, practice more.

It's not the holster that is an issue, it's the user. Just know where the issues are and correct them.

(PS, I do have a Serpa, but I don't really like it because the plastic is too flexible for my personal taste. But that's not really a knock on the holster.)

wimwag

You really don't get that everybody has their own opinion? Really?

I like my Serpa. I know of no legitimate reason for you to not get one. Now you know another person's opinion . . .

I've heard arguments that because its a $30 holster it will kill you. From a guy with a $12 Walmart holster...so what I mean by "legitimate" is your experiences or problems you've had.

Opinions are like a holes dude, everyones got one and nobody wants to see anyone else's.

Last edited:

SD40VE

i use one with my SD. you need size 25 for the sigma/m&p pistols. i love mine and have had no issues with it ever. for the most part the issues come in user error. learn to draw without firing the gun and you will be fine

mobiushky

me2post

ipse

No you didn't cause that's not possible at all in any way ever... [/sarcasm]

Sorry, couldn't help myself. It's a well know affect of adrenaline boost that you lose fine motor skills. Under the stress of the event, you will only be able to accomplish gross motor. SOME would argue that pressing any button is enough of a fine motor skill to negate it for carry. Not sure personally, but if you practice enough you should be able to make it an unconscious effort.

The only other potential issue would be panic confusion over the holster if you carry many different styles. Say you have a thumb activated holster, one that's serpa style, simple kydex etc... If you rotate them frequently, you may find yourself forgetting which you are wearing and try to do the wrong release action.

Personally, I prefer a reflex type action with no buttons. That's personal preference. My IWB is a locked in place holster that requires a slight wrist twist to unlock and draw. Very natural and no buttons to press. I finally found an OWB holster that has the exact same motion to unlock it's retention and now that's what I use. Eventually, I'll be replacing all of my holsters with that style so that no matter which gun I wear, the draw motion is identical whether IWB or OWB. That my personal preference, so I wouldn't expect anyone else to have the same feelings.

SD40VE

never had an issue with finger falling into trigger guard. when i draw my index finger goes along the frame right below the slide and never goes into the trigger guard. it comes down to personal preference. i have carried in my serpa for 13+ months with no issues. i am comfortable with it. and i have practiced alot. my LGS range made me do 15-20 "dry" runs before allowing me to pull from my holster and fire on their range. they said typically we dont allow drawing from a serpa but you seem to have it down to where you wont mess around and put a round through your leg.

try alot of holsters, find what you like. ask the LGS to supply a unloaded display model of your firearm, never pull out your firearm in a store. thats about all i can add to this one at this time