• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Serpa Holsters, yes? No?

mobiushky

One could make the same mistake on a $12 sportster holster with the snap on the side by not unsnapping it all the way or getting the strap caught in her hand and then going all gorilla on the handle and shooting themselves. It's not product specific. It's training specific.

Holsters are made by different manufacturers for the same model of firearm. Just because they all don't behave alike doesn't make a negligent discharge the manufacturer's fault. After all, doesn't Skil make a slightly different jigsaw than Craftsman? How many people get used to one kind of power tool and then get hurt using a different brand? Blaming the holster for you shooting yourself is like blaming Sergei Mosin for the millions murdered in the Russian Revolution. Or like anti's blaming YOU for Sandy Hook. Quit blaming the object.

Did you really just write "Quit blaming the object"? Really? In order to quit blaming it, I would have to first START blaming it. Which hasn't happened yet. So are you asking me to first start blaming the Serpa so that you can tell me to stop? I haven't blamed the holster once.

No, as has been clearly explained you cannot do the exact same thing with a cheap nylon holster. You can easily make a different set of mistakes with a nylon holster that will result in a similar failure, but it's not the same thing. Similar is not same. They mean different things. You can have a similar issue with any holster if you treat it wrong and fail at training. You cannot have the SAME issue with any other holster because they are all made different.

But then, something tells me this wasn't a "what should I get" thread. Seems like this was a standard "I'm getting this and I need someone to justify me and make me feel smart for doing it, and I don't care what people actually say" thread. Which is the standard thread for this forum.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
But then, something tells me this wasn't a "what should I get" thread. Seems like this was a standard "I'm getting this and I need someone to justify me and make me feel smart for doing it, and I don't care what people actually say" thread. Which is the standard thread for this forum.
Think it is more conversation/discussing/sharing of thoughts. No need to be so cynical :)

mobiushky

Think it is more conversation/discussing/sharing of thoughts. No need to be so cynical :)

You know, I would love to believe that, but honestly when people on this forum explain things in an honest and logical way only to be told they are bashing something I have trouble not being cynical.

wimwag

Did you really just write "Quit blaming the object"? Really? In order to quit blaming it, I would have to first START blaming it. Which hasn't happened yet. So are you asking me to first start blaming the Serpa so that you can tell me to stop? I haven't blamed the holster once.

No, as has been clearly explained you cannot do the exact same thing with a cheap nylon holster. You can easily make a different set of mistakes with a nylon holster that will result in a similar failure, but it's not the same thing. Similar is not same. They mean different things. You can have a similar issue with any holster if you treat it wrong and fail at training. You cannot have the SAME issue with any other holster because they are all made different.

Nope. It was a "let's discuss the hype so I can make an informed decision" thread. Thanks for playing. I'm at McDonald's and my gun hasn't scared anybody yet. It must be broken.

mobiushky

Nope. It was a "let's discuss the hype so I can make an informed decision" thread. Thanks for playing. I'm at McDonald's and my gun hasn't scared anybody yet. It must be broken.

I'm confused, mostly because the "thanks for playing" and the comment about it being broken makes no sense at all. If we were "discussing the hype" to make an informed decision, there is no "game" to be played. It's a simple discussion about the function of the Serpa and how if you make certain mistakes that are unique to Serpa holsters you can have a bad day. If you train to avoid them, no worries. What games are there? If the thread is a leading thread to justify a personal preference, then there are "games" such as saying "quit blaming the object" when no such comment was made. So which is it?

Also, where did the scary gun reference come from? Why would a properly holstered gun scare anyone but an anti-gun nut? What does that even have to do with this thread?

wimwag

Also, where did the scary gun reference come from? Why would a properly holstered gun scare anyone but an anti-gun nut? What does that even have to do with this thread?

Are we not at opencarry.org?

mobiushky

Are we not at opencarry.org?

So then your contention is that openly carrying a Serpa holster would be the cause of fear in McDonald's and that the gun in the holster is irrelevant? Though you did say your gun hasn't scared anyone. That being the case, do you also expect to have a potential fear reaction to the presence of an empty Serpa holster as well? Then you probably should have said "my holster hasn't scared anyone".

You said this thread was to discuss the "hype" and titled the thread about the Serpa so I assume it was the "hype" about the Serpa. I was assuming we were talking about the Serpa in a rational way so I was confused by the injection of "I'm at McDonald's and my gun hasn't scared anybody yet. It must be broken." That was a bit from left field.

wimwag

So then your contention is that openly carrying a Serpa holster would be the cause of fear in McDonald's and that the gun in the holster is irrelevant? Though you did say your gun hasn't scared anyone. That being the case, do you also expect to have a potential fear reaction to the presence of an empty Serpa holster as well? Then you probably should have said "my holster hasn't scared anyone".

You said this thread was to discuss the "hype" and titled the thread about the Serpa so I assume it was the "hype" about the Serpa. I was assuming we were talking about the Serpa in a rational way so I was confused by the injection of "I'm at McDonald's and my gun hasn't scared anybody yet. It must be broken." That was a bit from left field.

You seem a little butt hurt...

wimwag

That's it? "You seem a little butt hurt"? That's "discussing the hype so you can make an informed decision"?

OK. Whatever. Enjoy the new holster. Just be sure to practice with it.

Well, when you keep trying to argue with me over every single word I type, yes. You do seem butthurt.