• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Two interesting encounters

JHART

I do a lot of walking on a paved trail that cuts through parks and neighborhoods. I am always open carrying,and cross paths with a lot of people.

First encounter was with a young female and her two young children.
I came upon them as they were standing in the grass off of the trail. I was walking briskly by them and the mother said,"hey you have a gun,can we walk with you?" I said sure whats up? She told me that a "crazy guy" had been bothering her. He was talking all weird and shaking his fists at her. She pointed to him walking off in the distance.

I walked her and her children to her house. All the way the two youngsters were asking a lot of questions about the gun. I of course did my best to inform them as much as possible. She thanked me, I told them anytime, and was glad that she acknowledged the benefit of having a firearm,or in this case, being with someone that does.

Second encounter was a different day on the same trail.

This was with another female. She was alone, sitting on a retaining wall. As I approached her she spotted my firearm. She stopped me and asked "what is that?" "why do you do that?" I replied with" I carry for self defense." She in a smart ass tone said " Is it that scary out here?" I replied with no not at all that I have the ability to defend myself if need be. All she said was "oh I see."

I didn't take it any further. I said have a nice day and carried on.

okiephlyer

That second one reminds me of a brief encounter at a Subway. Young lady behind the counter saw that I was OC, and dripping with sarcasm said, My, don't you look all scary. I replied, I don't mean to look scary, just prepared. She immediately said she was sorry. We talked briefly and I went on with dinner.

JHART

I am fairly new to open carry. I have to admit that I was caught a bit off guard with the female that was snotty in her questioning of me carrying. The next time I get asked that, I am replying with: What do I have to be scared about??? I'm the one with the gun!! And its not about being scared,its about being prepared. I carry for the same reason I have two fire extinguishers in my home..... Just incase!!

glock22oc

That second one reminds me of a brief encounter at a Subway. Young lady behind the counter saw that I was OC, and dripping with sarcasm said, My, don't you look all scary. I replied, I don't mean to look scary, just prepared. She immediately said she was sorry. We talked briefly and I went on with dinner.

Must be a common thing for Subway emplyees. LOL.. Subway girl started checking me out, noticed my firearm and said "you're not gonna shoot me, are you"? I said, I hadn't planned on it. Paid for my sandwich and left. It was kinda a dumb thing for her to say. Several other people were in there and could have thought I was trying to rob the place or something.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Must be a common thing for Subway emplyees. LOL.. Subway girl started checking me out, noticed my firearm and said "you're not gonna shoot me, are you"? I said, I hadn't planned on it. Paid for my sandwich and left. It was kinda a dumb thing for her to say. Several other people were in there and could have thought I was trying to rob the place or something.

As one who attempts "humor?" many times and has been known not to succeed, the things that some folk "think" are funny to say that could really put one at risk just makes my head swim. This includes the young man at the motorcycle shop locally who asked me basically the same thing as the Subway girl referred to above. Sadly, he did it on SEVERAL visits of mine to the shop and continued until I suggested to him that someone overhearing this exchange could really take it wrong and either call the police on the situation or SHOOT ME! Thankfully, he now just welcomes me to the parts counter!

glock22oc

As one who attempts "humor?" many times and has been known not to succeed, the things that some folk "think" are funny to say that could really put one at risk just makes my head swim. This includes the young man at the motorcycle shop locally who asked me basically the same thing as the Subway girl referred to above. Sadly, he did it on SEVERAL visits of mine to the shop and continued until I suggested to him that someone overhearing this exchange could really take it wrong and either call the police on the situation or SHOOT ME! Thankfully, he now just welcomes me to the parts counter!

Yeah, I was just glad one of the other customers didn't think I was robbing the joint and shoot me. People need to think a little before they blurt out something like that.

okiephlyer

I am a fairly regular customer at that particular Subway, and this was the one and only time anything even slightly negative was said. They have always been very courteous and respectful. It is not a Subway problem, but a person problem. That is also the one and only time I have seen that person working there.