• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cross draw holster question

flhrci

Knowing nothing about them I want to ask if they are just strong side holsters placed on the opposite side of your belt/waist? Same physical holster? No differences?

Just learnin'.

Thanks,

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

WalkingWolf

The construction of the holster would determine how strong they are. If you mean are they secure? That would depend on the user, I use both crossdraw and strongside holsters as I carry two guns. Just learn to turn your body away from the threat, this will also give a better draw IMO. I call this the crossdraw dance. Step back with the strong foot putting the gun at a angle that is difficult for a threat to grab, but making the draw more efficient.

Last edited:

JustaShooter

Knowing nothing about them I want to ask if they are just strong side holsters placed on the opposite side of your belt/waist? Same physical holster? No differences?

Seems like WalkingWolf misunderstood what you are asking...

Anyway, from what I've seen you often want a different cant to the handgun for cross draw so many holsters that work strong side won't work cross draw. Though I suppose some might, depends on your preferences and the adjustability of the holster.

WalkingWolf

Seems like WalkingWolf misunderstood what you are asking...

Anyway, from what I've seen you often want a different cant to the handgun for cross draw so many holsters that work strong side won't work cross draw. Though I suppose some might, depends on your preferences and the adjustability of the holster.

Yea, I did misread, and crossdraw is the opposite cant normally, I usually make mine with a 10 degree cant.

flhrci

Thanks for the info guys. WakingWolf, no issues. I appreciate both of your replies as I will be reading up on technique also. I did initially wonder why you would need a special holster and differing cant angle would be a good reason.

I am new to open carry and am considering this option as one I may want to use. Drawing on my right side seems a little awkward at times and crossdraw seems like it could be more natural. Just thinking out loud.

Thanks again WakingWolf and Justashooter!

David

Kopis

You won't find a whole lot of people who like cross draw. It does have a lot of disadvantages in EDC situations but also some advantages for someone who is driving or seated a lot.

Practice (with unloaded weapon) and a friend. It is tactically much easier to for the assailant to push your gun away from themselves or even take it out of your holster (since it is already pointed at you). You also sweep the entire area in front of you with crossdraw (potential friendlies). I still carry crossdraw on a road trip though usually and i use my strong side comptac holster on my glock. It would be nicer to have a slight forward cant though. If you get a straight drop OTW holster like the comptac you can typically double it as a cross draw but it's not perfect.

Strong side carry should be practiced as a five step draw (google it), only four steps for us Glock guys :lol:. Carrying a weapon is like anything else, you need practice/training to create muscle memory/good reactions. See what works best for you and your particular situation. Any range should offer some great defense courses as well. You can learn a lot of new things to practice in a half day or one day course.

Last edited: