• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long Gun Open Carry Laws or Precedents

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"Military-style semi-automatic firearms do not differ materially from non-military style semi-automatic firearms (one bullet is fired for each pull of the trigger) and are no more powerful than other semi-automatic weapons.
http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcassaul.html

Military style guns is simply a scare tactic for which there is no basis in fact.

The military will use whatever works - so should we.

WalkingWolf

I would argue that a military style handgun is any handgun that can be used in an offensive and/or defensive manner.

Per Kerner the state, or local government can restrict carry on size. The wording as to military handguns has to do with those guns that are not easily concealed. The restriction in Chapel Hill I believe is 8 inches, and that is measrued from the tip of the barrel to the rear of the slide, plus the measurement from the top of the handgun to the heal. Most compacts are according to that restriction legal. The military term used in Kerner was 90 years ago 1921. Before the hype of today.

I believe there are federal rulings also to support that citizens have access to military weapons. NRA brought us this mess with the NFA. and then GCA. Before that citizens had access to all weapons that the military uses. This is the true intention of 2A, not self defense as the courts would have us believe. It is a check against tyranny and for that to be effective we must have access to the same weapons. Not many soldiers are issued or carry a NAA pocket revolver.