Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: How do you carry?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Centralia, MO
    Posts
    144

    How do you carry?

    I am not sure if this question is in the right area, I am curious about how people carry their firearms when they go out. I never really thought much about it until recently when I was asked about my style of carry by someone, and so I figured I would see how others carry.

    As for me, I carry a revolver on my right hip with the firearm reversed. And yes, I do draw it with my right hand. Have not noticed any real speed loss when I practice and I carry it that way as a way of preventing someone from coming up behind me and trying to grab for it.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    242
    .40 springfield xd sub compact, strong side, OWB leather holster with retention strap. 1 or 2 spare 12-round mags. keltec .380 backup in a wallet holster. kid with another p3at at times (back-up back-up).

  3. #3
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Mid-size Glock or Smith&Wesson semi-auto. Both either in a Glock brand sport holster or a Safariland 6378 depending on if I'm wearing a cover garment or not. 3 O'clock left hand.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Glock 23 in Sherpa strong side. Or same in blade tech nano appendix carry when cc

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    ... in Sherpa strong side.
    Yeah, I know I know, just a typo. Stupid is as stupid does. The honor is in the personal inconvenience of addressing peers perfectly. Like hanging the national ensign and leaving it to rot on the halyard. There is no honor in the easy way.

    Out and about on my property or in town among gentleman friends I OPEN CARRY my SA 1911A1 in a SERPA. With Milady wife and her friends, in Church or at dinner I CCW my H&K USPc .40 in a Versa Carry Original Ty-1 IWB from about 0200 to 0533 depending on dress jacket or sweater.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    42
    Ruger SR45 in an Uncle Mike's Pro3 Slimline duty holster.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Cow Town, Tn.
    Posts
    43
    Used to carry a 6'2" 220 lb. cop on my back, but couldn't carry him for too long, so I opted to carry my Glock 23. Found it to be not as heavy and easier on the back.

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKH2O View Post
    Used to carry a 6'2" 220 lb. cop on my back, but couldn't carry him for too long, so I opted to carry my Glock 23. Found it to be not as heavy and easier on the back.
    The do make smaller, more discrete cops for ease of carry
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Cow Town, Tn.
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The do make smaller, more discrete cops for ease of carry
    Ha Ha Ha, thanks, I'll keep that in mind

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    113
    If I'm home and ready to go out and I want to OC, it will be in a leather holster on my right side at 3 o'clock. If I'm on my way to or from work and don't necessarily have my holster, I carry IWB without a holster and reversed (grip forward) at about 4 o'clock. This 4 o'clock position is also how I CC.

  11. #11
    Regular Member MNMGoneShooting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    144
    I carry well armed.

  12. #12
    Regular Member MyWifeSaidYes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Logan, OH
    Posts
    1,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The do make smaller, more discrete cops for ease of carry
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

    Recoil.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Cow Town, Tn.
    Posts
    43
    Now That's Funny

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Hayesville, Ohio
    Posts
    39
    ruger p95 with hogue ergo grip, blackhawk size 7 nylon holster and a good leather belt. Also a blackhawk mag pouch for my spare mag.

  15. #15
    Regular Member cjkent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Milford, OH
    Posts
    5
    I carry a Beretta Px4 storm compact 9mm in a Blackhawk holster.

  16. #16
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275

    How do you carry?

    Slightly to the left...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  17. #17
    Regular Member independence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om5hipp View Post
    I am not sure if this question is in the right area, I am curious about how people carry their firearms when they go out. I never really thought much about it until recently when I was asked about my style of carry by someone, and so I figured I would see how others carry.

    As for me, I carry a revolver on my right hip with the firearm reversed. And yes, I do draw it with my right hand. Have not noticed any real speed loss when I practice and I carry it that way as a way of preventing someone from coming up behind me and trying to grab for it.
    I carry a Glock 19 in a cheapo Glock brand OWB friction holster at two o'clock or two thirty.

    Tell me more about your reversed holster on the strong side drawn with the strong side hand. Where do you position the holster on your belt? Four o'clock or something? What method do you use for drawing it in order to avoid covering yourself? What type of revolver?




    Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.
    Open means open...

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,153
    Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes View Post
    They do make smaller, more discrete cops for ease of carry
    The guy on the left is a distant relative and 7'1" tall. His buddy is quite normal, ~5'10".

    He is a distant relative of yours too.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  19. #19
    Regular Member MatieA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Egbert, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    403
    Springfield XDM .40 in a Blackhawk leather cutaway holster on the right side.
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

  20. #20
    Regular Member MyWifeSaidYes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Logan, OH
    Posts
    1,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare
    The guy on the left is a distant relative and 7'1" tall. His buddy is quite normal, ~5'10"...
    Nope. We've got a 6'8" open carrier in Ohio (BB62) to compare this picture to. Assuming the scale of the picture has not been modified, the scale of the people (arms and legs to torso and head) show that the officer on the left is closer to "normal", and the officer on the right is closer to the ground.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

    Recoil.

  21. #21
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,728
    Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes View Post
    Nope. We've got a 6'8" open carrier in Ohio (BB62) to compare this picture to. Assuming the scale of the picture has not been modified, the scale of the people (arms and legs to torso and head) show that the officer on the left is closer to "normal", and the officer on the right is closer to the ground.
    Actually, if the officer on the right would pull his pants up, he would be as tall as the officer on the left.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Slade McCuiston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Western KY
    Posts
    22
    I open carry daily, both around the farm and in town. I carry a Rock Island Armory .45 1911 on my right side, at about my three o'clock. It rides in a Safariland 6360 SLS/ALS duty holster.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1911.jpg 
Views:	1356 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	11119
    Last edited by Slade McCuiston; 01-13-2014 at 04:04 AM.

  23. #23
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Slade McCuiston View Post
    I open carry daily, both around the farm and in town. I carry a Rock Island Armory .45 1911 on my right side, at about my three o'clock. It rides in a Safariland 6360 SLS/ALS duty holster.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1911.jpg 
Views:	1356 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	11119
    Welcome aboard OCDO, Slade.

    By the looks of your jeans, you must be a country gentleman
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Slade McCuiston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Western KY
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Welcome aboard OCDO, Slade.

    By the looks of your jeans, you must be a country gentleman
    Thanks for the warm welcome, Grapeshot. I've been lurking this place for a year, maybe two. After a while, I can't keep myself from joining and (trying to) contribute. And yes, I live and work on a farm in Western KY. Actually, I was using a hand-sheller to shell corn for my horse when that photo was taken, but I cropped it down just to show the 1911/holster.

  25. #25
    Regular Member kinggabby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Duncan, Ok
    Posts
    84
    I open carry almost everywhere. Except for a few places ( school, post office, courthouse or library ). Have my Glock 30SF in a Serpa holster whether I carry open or concealed. And I always carry one in the pipe and +1 .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •