Thread: South Boston Burger King - No Firearms

South Boston Burger King - No Firearms

Little girl wanted Burger King after her trip to the doctor today, well since we haven't been there in a while and they have been OC friendly, we headed on in. Placed order, paid, got drinks - this took a while getting a 4 year old to decide with one of those new machines with like 400 combinations. After all of this the manger on duty ask if I am a cop. "No Ma'am" Well you can't have that in here, the "company" doesn't allow guns in the restaurant.

Short conversation, it is a new policy from the "company" and I did not notice the sign when we entered - though to be fare the no smoking sign is ON the door, the no firearms sign is within walking distance (far left side - two windows away). I told her I would need a refund before we would leave. She said we didn't need to leave, if I just took the gun to the car. I told her that was not going to happen, she had no means of protecting my family, nor was I willing to so overtly place a loaded weapon in my vehicle and risk it's theft just for a convenient meal. Repeated that I required a refund, and we would be on our way. McDonald's is right across the street and still quite welcoming.

Now, while dealing with a 4 year old that wasn't sure why we couldn't eat, I did not find out if this is a corporate store or a franchise - I will find out as soon as possible. Now for a bragging moment - the above 4 year old did not, whine, cry, or in any way "act out". She DID however ask several questions.

- Why can't we eat here? - We are not welcome and She wants us to leave.

- Why, did we do something wrong? - No, but she has still asked us to leave. So we will go to McDonald's where we are welcome.

$25 to McD's instead of BK
    Last edited by 180shabah; 12-26-2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Spacing

Banned
    Stupid laws regarding signage to begin with (miss a sign & you're guilty of something? Outrageous.) ... and taking your business elsewhere is best -- only thing companies understand is $$$$

Lots of OC'ers

Just fantasizing - wouldn't it be something if hundreds of new customers showed up over the coming weeks or months to this Burger King, all carrying firearms?

Some OC'd so discreetly they weren't noticed until the orders were placed, others perhaps concealed under jackets until transactions were conducted.

And all forcing managemnt to reimburse these hoards of customers once the confrontation took place. Even better if the confrontations were very public.

And for those whose guns weren't noticed, or if management deemed some of thre confrontations not convenient in public, perhaps the carriers could then publicly thank thre manager for reversing their prior ban.

"What? You still have the ban? OMG, but I am presently carrying. If you'll please reimburse my (our) meal(s), I'll be on my way to McDonalds across the street."

"What? Its OK to carry just this one time? Sorry, but I'm not going to patronize any place that asks me to leave or not come back. I'd like my money back please."

When 4 yr old asks why you're leaving, answer loud enough for manager to hear "The manager here doesn't think you're worth protecting."
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

I, for one, would like to know how this turns out. Is this a corporate change or the franchise owners idea. Or could it be an enterprising manager.
    I went down to my burger king, here in Washington State, and they knew of no "changes" from anywhere and weapons were welcome. Sounds like something very local.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Stupid laws regarding signage to begin with (miss a sign & you're guilty of something? Outrageous.) ... and taking your business elsewhere is best -- only thing companies understand is $$$$
    Not "guilty" of anything, since I did not refuse when she asked me to leave.

Although you could say I am guilty of letting my guard down and not searching for the sign that states that "my kind" can't use this "water fountain"

Quote Originally Posted by mark-in-texas View Post
    When 4 yr old asks why you're leaving, answer loud enough for manager to hear "The manager here doesn't think you're worth protecting."
    Definitely a little stronger than my response, but the manager was less than five feet away from my conversation with my daughter - she did hear the whole thing...
    Last edited by 180shabah; 12-26-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Major kudos to your daughter for handling what had to be a very confusing situation so well. What an excellent (although sad) teaching situation.

TFred

Making trip in February

I'll be going by South Boston, in February. Perhaps I'll stop with 4 others and tell 'em we are going to McD's because of their policy. Never had a problem at any other BK...

Speaking of restaurants not allowing firearms on the premises, looks like Toby Keith's new restaurant in woodbridge has a no firearms policy:

http://www.mrcolionnoir.com/news/no-...bar-and-grill/
    "If I don't deserve the credit, then why do I deserve the blame?" - Peacemaker by The Steeldrivers

Quote Originally Posted by george11c View Post
    Speaking of restaurants not allowing firearms on the premises, looks like Toby Keith's new restaurant in woodbridge has a no firearms policy:

http://www.mrcolionnoir.com/news/no-...bar-and-grill/
    No surprise!

With or without the sign I wouldn't be going there.... Toby was a huge supporter of Obummer.... that is why Ford dropped him as a spokes person.
    The sign just adds fuel to the fire.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Founder's Club Member
    I'll check our Burger King stores here in Lynchburg to see if they have similar postings since we're just a short but from y'all down in South Boston.

Did you get your refund?

Why did you answer the question 'are you a LEO?'? Why not just deflect or say 'go about your business'?

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    I'll check our Burger King stores here in Lynchburg to see if they have similar postings since we're just a short but from y'all down in South Boston.
    I haven't even had a chance to check our other BK here in town, just a busy week. I will have ride to past there sometime this week, it'll be on the way home from the FFL. Couldn't resist any longer, had to order a Mosin - $99 and cheap ammo, just had to do it....

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Did you get your refund?
    Got the refund, and spent it across the street...

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Why did you answer the question 'are you a LEO?'? Why not just deflect or say 'go about your business'?
    Seems to be the easy question for people to ask/break the ice???

My favorite was the young (15-16 year old) guy working the register at Wendy's on black friday, asked "are you an officer?" Told him no sir and almost immediately the little old black woman behind me jumps in....

"sh!t, if I didn't have this arthritis I'd be packin' too, there's some stupid m*!&er Fu@+rs out here today."

Grandma just schooled him, it was awesome. he just stood there with his mouth open.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    I looked at the store nearest my home (Timberlake Rd) and they had no sign other than a "no smoking" sign.

I go in and out of the 2 is Suffolk with nps.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 180shabah View Post
    My favorite was the young (15-16 year old) guy working the register at Wendy's on black friday, asked "are you an officer?" Told him no sir and almost immediately the little old black woman behind me jumps in....

"sh!t, if I didn't have this arthritis I'd be packin' too, there's some stupid m*!&er Fu@+rs out here today."

Grandma just schooled him, it was awesome. he just stood there with his mouth open.
    Language aside, I love her reaction/response. I'd've shook her hand.