Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Citizens take law into own hands after Ore. county guts law enforcement

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,156

    Citizens take law into own hands after Ore. county guts law enforcement

    The government in Josephine County, where nearly 70 percent of the land is owned by the U.S. government, had long relied on federal timber subsidies to pay the bills. When the feds terminated the funds, county officials scrambled to pass a May 2012 tax levy to make up a nearly $7.5 million budget shortfall.

    However, the county's residents voted against the levy, and as a result the Josephine County Sheriff’s Office was gutted. The major crimes unit closed, dozens of prisoners were released from the county jail and the department reduced operations to Monday-Friday, eight hours a day.

    The Sheriff’s Office then issued a press release announcing their deputies would only be responding to what they deemed “life-threatening situations.”

    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...-guts-sheriff/

    Selig's community watch group, looking to fill in the law enforcement cracks, now meets once a month to discuss crime and teach its approximately 100 members about personal safety. The group also has a trained “response team,” which consists of 12 people who will respond to the scene of a reported non-life-threatening situation if called. . . .http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2013/1...forced-to.html
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-27-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,201
    I wonder what other depts. were cut and how much.

    Personally the county I live in we could not only cut but most likely do away with total depts. and most people wouldn't notice might even be happier with out them.

    Zoning being one a huge infringement on property owners and a waste of money.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Zoning being one a huge infringement on property owners and a waste of money.
    Zoning protects our, mine particularly, property values. You may live in a slum that would be improved by the presence of a McDonalds or Magnolia Thunder Kitties, not me.

    http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/floodplains/...d_handbook.pdf
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,201
    Zoning is one of most power grapping moves the government ever did. They not only tell when, how and what you may do with your property you have to pay them for the privilege of doing so.

    Zoning is about government power telling you where you can live, what you should live in, and what you can do with my permission first

    How did we ever survive with out it.

    If you think the police get out of hand wait until you have a run in with the zoning dept. You want to see heavy handed do what I tell you or else tactics.

    The slum I live in allows me to shoot out my front door, out my back door, off my deck.

    City people just can not understand freedom a lot of the times because they are used to being confined and told what to do.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 12-27-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  5. #5
    Regular Member Freedom First's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kennewick, Wa.
    Posts
    850
    Just a note, this happened early last year. The real question: How are things there today?
    Freedom can never be lost, only given away by ignorance, by choice, or at the point of a gun. Here in America we can still choose.

    Freedom First 1775

    "I aim to misbehave..." Malcolm Reynolds

  6. #6
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom First View Post
    Just a note, this happened early last year. The real question: How are things there today?
    I was wondering the same thing.

    All hell must have not broken loose as every other agency would have us believe if we severely cut their funding and duties back.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Zoning protects our, mine particularly, property values. You may live in a slum that would be improved by the presence of a McDonalds or Magnolia Thunder Kitties, not me.

    http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/floodplains/...d_handbook.pdf
    That is a socialist attitude.

    When did it become my responsibility to maintain my property in such a way to insure your property does not loose value? I don't.

    Texas has little or no zoning laws.

  8. #8
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    That is a socialist attitude.

    When did it become my responsibility to maintain my property in such a way to insure your property does not loose value? I don't.

    Texas has little or no zoning laws.
    I didn't know that about Texas. I am guessing that my familiarity with zoning is a result of city zoning ordinances as opposed to state law, then...

    But, I agree that zoning is a pretty huge infringement on property rights. Saying that it "protects" your property value is a little misleading. Akin to saying a mobster "protects" his profits by doing shake-downs. I'm sure there is a liberal (as in, consistent with liberty) solution to protecting property value.
    Advocate freedom please

  9. #9
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom First View Post
    Just a note, this happened early last year. The real question: How are things there today?
    http://www.co.josephine.or.us/Files/JoCoCAFR201112.pdf

    Here are the financial statements for the fiscal year ended June 2012 - see about page 22 of the CAFR - Comprehensive Annual Financial Report - Table 2 - Changes in Net Assets.
    $40 million in revenue, $4.9 million from property taxes, about $5 million was from US taxpayers as part of the TARP funding….never have gotten a Christmas card from them…..

    Public Safety budget is $20million, Genl Govt $4M, Public Works $8M, Culture & Rec - $3M, Community Development $3.5M, HHS $9M. Spent $49million and only took in $40 million. Doesn't show how much $ in pot was grown on 67% of county land owned by Feds/You-n-Me.
    Their prop tax rate is permanently set at $0.58/1000, the County wanted them to increase tax rate an additional $1.99 per $1000. Otherwise tax rate is capped to rise only 3% a year.

    Looks to me like there w/b some heavy cutting in their budget next year or two. Of course they have $3M unfunded retiree health insurance liabilities, pay into pension plans for workers, looks to be a $2 to $1 match on other retirement plans. In other words the county employees are getting tons of compensation no worker gets in the private economy.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    I didn't know that about Texas. I am guessing that my familiarity with zoning is a result of city zoning ordinances as opposed to state law, then...

    But, I agree that zoning is a pretty huge infringement on property rights. Saying that it "protects" your property value is a little misleading. Akin to saying a mobster "protects" his profits by doing shake-downs. I'm sure there is a liberal (as in, consistent with liberty) solution to protecting property value.
    I used to own a home in Texas, and I don't know that about Texas. I do know that Bexar County and San Antonio have zoning laws.

    Yes, the exact nature and number of zoning laws will vary. But that is the wonderful thing about our Republic. You can vote with your feet. If you don't like State and local laws, move. There is such a variety that you can find a place that has almost the perfect mix for you.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Freedom First's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kennewick, Wa.
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    ...But that is the wonderful thing about our Republic. You can vote with your feet. If you don't like State and local laws, move...
    True only up to a point. When the wonderful Republic becomes the problem, there is no escape.
    Freedom can never be lost, only given away by ignorance, by choice, or at the point of a gun. Here in America we can still choose.

    Freedom First 1775

    "I aim to misbehave..." Malcolm Reynolds

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,156
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    That is a socialist attitude. When did it become my responsibility to maintain my property in such a way to insure your property does not loose value? I don't. Texas has little or no zoning laws.
    Thank you NOT for the ought argument to an IS statement.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  13. #13
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom First View Post
    True only up to a point. When the wonderful Republic becomes the problem, there is no escape.
    I hate the if you don't like it get out mentality. How about liberty?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I hate the if you don't like it get out mentality. How about liberty?
    That's actually part of Liberty. Most folks just can't get how.

  15. #15
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    That is a socialist attitude.

    When did it become my responsibility to maintain my property in such a way to insure your property does not loose value? I don't.

    Texas has little or no zoning laws.
    Texas does not have a statewide policy. Dallas county does not have zoning restrictions, they do however have deed restrictions, they also have no urban growth management, but you still cannot just do whatever you want
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  16. #16
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    That's actually part of Liberty. Most folks just can't get how.
    Being told to leave isn't liberty. Seems like some folks just can't get how that's not.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    344

    Oregon Citizens Defy Government With Open Carry Posse

    Removed by poster. Unnecessary after threads were merged.
    Last edited by Augustin; 12-29-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Reduced FUQ

  18. #18
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Texas does not have a statewide policy. Dallas county does not have zoning restrictions, they do however have deed restrictions, they also have no urban growth management, but you still cannot just do whatever you want
    Houston is the town everyone talks about - one of the top 10 largest in US and the City of Houston has NO Zoning. This is like living in the county in most places - if your neighbor wants to open up a used car lot - they can, a liquor store - very convenient. Some subdivisions have deed restrictions or homeowners associations, but by and large the town is whatever you want goes.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  19. #19
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Its just an armed neighborhood watch.

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  20. #20
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,735
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    http://www.co.josephine.or.us/Files/JoCoCAFR201112.pdf

    Here are the financial statements for the fiscal year ended June 2012 - see about page 22 of the CAFR - Comprehensive Annual Financial Report - Table 2 - Changes in Net Assets.
    $40 million in revenue, $4.9 million from property taxes, about $5 million was from US taxpayers as part of the TARP funding….never have gotten a Christmas card from them…..

    Public Safety budget is $20million, Genl Govt $4M, Public Works $8M, Culture & Rec - $3M, Community Development $3.5M, HHS $9M. Spent $49million and only took in $40 million. Doesn't show how much $ in pot was grown on 67% of county land owned by Feds/You-n-Me.
    Their prop tax rate is permanently set at $0.58/1000, the County wanted them to increase tax rate an additional $1.99 per $1000. Otherwise tax rate is capped to rise only 3% a year.

    Looks to me like there w/b some heavy cutting in their budget next year or two. Of course they have $3M unfunded retiree health insurance liabilities, pay into pension plans for workers, looks to be a $2 to $1 match on other retirement plans. In other words the county employees are getting tons of compensation no worker gets in the private economy.
    Yes, watch beads of sweat form on politicians' brows when you start asking questions about the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report. Especially when you demand more detail and explanation of some obscure footnote.

  21. #21
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,735
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Houston is the town everyone talks about - one of the top 10 largest in US and the City of Houston has NO Zoning. This is like living in the county in most places - if your neighbor wants to open up a used car lot - they can, a liquor store - very convenient. Some subdivisions have deed restrictions or homeowners associations, but by and large the town is whatever you want goes.
    In other words, the wild west.......

  22. #22
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Zoning is one of most power grapping moves the government ever did. They not only tell when, how and what you may do with your property you have to pay them for the privilege of doing so.

    Zoning is about government power telling you where you can live, what you should live in, and what you can do with my permission first

    How did we ever survive with out it.

    If you think the police get out of hand wait until you have a run in with the zoning dept. You want to see heavy handed do what I tell you or else tactics.

    The slum I live in allows me to shoot out my front door, out my back door, off my deck.

    City people just can not understand freedom a lot of the times because they are used to being confined and told what to do.
    I personally am saving to buy a piece of property adjacent To sudden valley gunner so that I can set up giant speakers and play pre 1973 disco hits at top volume....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  23. #23
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I personally am saving to buy a piece of property adjacent To sudden valley gunner so that I can set up giant speakers and play pre 1973 disco hits at top volume....
    Why 1973? Didn't like the stuff after?

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I personally am saving to buy a piece of property adjacent To sudden valley gunner so that I can set up giant speakers and play pre 1973 disco hits at top volume....
    I had a neighbor that like loud parties the bass would thump my widows across the field they would go on until about 2am or so when they would go to bed.

    They stopped being so loud, it seems that a John Deere diesel with the muffler taken off is really really loud at 530 am running a brush hog when one is trying to sleep a hang over off.

    The music became a lot less loud, the muffler went back on, the time became latter.

    I never complained or said a word to them I just start the tractor up and start mowing only took two times.

    Some people learn fast.

    There is more then one way to skin a cat
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 12-28-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  25. #25
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I personally am saving to buy a piece of property adjacent To sudden valley gunner so that I can set up giant speakers and play pre 1973 disco hits at top volume....
    So would this be like Bread, Three Dig Night, Chicago, Cat Stevens(pre-Muslim)...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •