• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bass Pro Shops Harrisburg - Reconfirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pocono

Campaign Veteran
So Tuesday morning I walked into the H-burg BPS and had a jacket on so I was CC. I have open carried there before without a problem. I thought I would stir the pot a little so I asked the greeter about the sign requiring guns to be checked. He asked if I was carrying and if i had a license and then stated that if I planned on taking my jacket off he would need to put a trigger lock on the gun. He proceeded to tell me - someone from the state was here and told us that if you open carry in the store we need to put a lock on it. I asked what state agency told him that. He said he didn't know but "someone" came in and told them that. I told him that is not the law. So he back-tracked and said - well they were here and told us it would be a good idea for us to lock all open carried firearms. Again I asked which state agency told them this. Again he didn't know. He proceeded to tell me how some women complain about the sight of openly carried firearms and about how some of the male "tree huggers" even complain about the animals mounted on the walls. For all I know he was even making all of that up just like he made up the "state agency" theory.

Today I called BPS corporate and talked with Riley Daniels Director of Retail Operations. He said policy is, as well all know, that BPS adheres to state and local laws. The greeter was wrong and he will contact the store. I then received a call from the H-burg store manager and he confirmed again they adhere to state law and all open and CC are welcome. He'll talk with his people.

The men i talked with also confirmed that the locking of firearms is for those transporting in a case to take in for repair or appraisal or to the range or any other reason that simply carry.

Last edited by a moderator:

jahwarrior

" I thought I would stir the pot a little so I asked the greeter about the sign requiring guns to be checked."

See this? This right here? Cut that $hit out, bro.

Griz

" I thought I would stir the pot a little so I asked the greeter about the sign requiring guns to be checked."

See this? This right here? Cut that $hit out, bro.

yep

much easier to just carry on.

F350

I thought I would stir the pot a little

Why? Why? WHY?? Do some people go out of their was to create a controversy? You create a situation then can't wait to run to corporate and get a whole series of phone calls started and people in trouble. Got nothing constructive to do?

I OC when weather permits and the only "problem" I have ever had at the Cabela's here (Grand Junction, CO) is the greeter asking "You're not going to try out holsters or anything are you?"

me "No sir, if I were it would be unloaded and cased; with any luck she will stay right where she is"

greeter "Thank You! You wouldn't believe some people"

me "Oh yea I would" the greeter just laughed

Don't go looking for problems where none exist.

Pocono

Campaign Veteran
Thank you for sharing your comments.

However instead of reading and comprehending the post in its totality I see it was much easier for you to take three words out of the entire post and use them to to go on your keyboard-cowboy drama packed rant. This is the same thing the Left does.

If I had not included those three words and instead stated that it was my first time in the store and noticed the sign and was given false information from the greeter and called corporate to question the policy, instead your response would have been that I should have searched the forums first as this has been discussed. What is the difference between what I did vs. walking into a store, any store, that a manager has posted as no guns when I know for a fact the corporate policy is not so. Would you expect me or anyone else to simply ignore the sign and let that store manager create his own policy contrary to corporate? I don't think so. I quizzed the greeter and was given what I know to be false information. The fact that I quizzed him with an agenda of keeping the honest people honest makes no difference. The phone call I had with corporate and the store manager was nothing less than friendly and courteous. Contrary to your made-up story line no one "got in trouble" and it was not meant to do so, so the the fact that I decided to quiz the greeter and then make a phone call to clarify his confusion, and possibly the same of other store personnel as well, is not the international incident you would like it to be for your self-imposed soap opera. For the activism comment, I think about the next newbie open carrier that walks in there and is erroneously told by the greeter that he must lock his firearm by a misguided greeter. Thanks to my phone call perhaps that will not happen.

Happy new year and I hope things improve for you all.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thank you for sharing your comments.

However instead of reading and comprehending the post in its totality I see it was much easier for you to take three words out of the entire post and use them to to go on your keyboard-cowboy drama packed rant. This is the same thing the Left does.

If I had not included those three words and instead stated that it was my first time in the store and noticed the sign and was given false information from the greeter and called corporate to question the policy, instead your response would have been that I should have searched the forums first as this has been discussed. What is the difference between what I did vs. walking into a store, any store, that a manager has posted as no guns when I know for a fact the corporate policy is not so. Would you expect me or anyone else to simply ignore the sign and let that store manager create his own policy contrary to corporate? I don't think so. I quizzed the greeter and was given what I know to be false information. The fact that I quizzed him with an agenda of keeping the honest people honest makes no difference. The phone call I had with corporate and the store manager was nothing less than friendly and courteous. Contrary to your made-up story line no one "got in trouble" and it was not meant to do so, so the the fact that I decided to quiz the greeter and then make a phone call to clarify his confusion, and possibly the same of other store personnel as well, is not the international incident you would like it to be for your self-imposed soap opera. For the activism comment, I think about the next newbie open carrier that walks in there and is erroneously told by the greeter that he must lock his firearm by a misguided greeter. Thanks to my phone call perhaps that will not happen.

Happy new year and I hope things improve for you all.
Gutshot is neither a "keyboard-cowboy" nor does he "rant" - he does talk straight from the shoulder however. Your words amount to a personal attack, a violation of the forum rules.

For what it is worth, I read your words the same way within their context. You unnecessarily stirred the pot, creating a problem where none existed. Had you simply walked in and not been engaged/challanged by the greeter all would have been fine. Only if the greeter had responded to your gun negatively would there have been a need to proceed further AND that likely could have been handle quickly and directly by asking for the store manager. No fanfare, no fuss and easily accomplished with a smile and a thank you.

Jumping the chain of command likely caused the store manager some problems too that could have been handled locally w/o putting him/her in a position of appearing to not having control of employees. Never hurts to consider the other person's problems and be the nice guy too.

I recognize that you are realitively new here, but suggest that you might do better to get to know who the member/users are and their style before you presume to be critical of their advice. That, sir, I hope you will take in the spirit intended.

OC for ME

Gutshot is neither a "keyboard-cowboy" nor does he "rant" - he does talk straight from the shoulder however. Your words amount to a personal attack, a violation of the forum rules.

For what it is worth, I read your words the same way within their context. You unnecessarily stirred the pot, creating a problem where none existed. Had you simply walked in and not been engaged/challanged by the greeter all would have been fine. Only if the greeter had responded to your gun negatively would there have been a need to proceed further AND that likely could have been handle quickly and directly by asking for the store manager. No fanfare, no fuss and easily accomplished with a smile and a thank you.

Jumping the chain of command likely caused the store manager some problems too that could have been handled locally w/o putting him/her in a position of appearing to not having control of employees. Never hurts to consider the other person's problems and be the nice guy too.

I recognize that you are relatively new here, but suggest that you might do better to get to know who the member/users are and their style before you presume to be critical of their advice. That, sir, I hope you will take in the spirit intended.
Not new. As a member since 2009 he may know many members here very well based on what he has read over the past SIX years.

Pocono
Campaign Veteran
3.gif

Anyway.

A whole lot of assumin going on here. The OP was CC.
So Tuesday morning I walked into the H-burg BPS and had a jacket on so I was CC.
The OP asked about the sign and its ambiguity. The "greeter" did not address the sign question posed to him by the OP but related some BS about locking guns up at the behest of a "unidentified state agent."

In fact the OP does not state that the greeter even saw the OP's gun. You assumed the greeter saw the gun.

Lecturing may not be ranting, but it remains lecturing.

The offensive phrase has little to do with the OP's op. You may choose to not believe the OPs accounting related in his second post, no big deal, and continue to focus on the OP's op, again no big deal.

You state a personal attack has occurred and that is a forum rules violation. Do what is to be done and either lock the thread or edit/delete the offending post(s).

You called the OP out publicly for voicing his opinion and his response to another poster. Being thin skinned is not one of your attributes. Neither is the assuming you did.

The preceding has been my own opinion.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not new. As a member since 2009 he may know many members here very well based on what he has read over the past SIX years.

Pocono
Campaign Veteran
3.gif

New at least to the demonstratable level of interaction with others here.
Anyway.

A whole lot of assumin going on here. The OP was CC. The OP asked about the sign and its ambiguity. The "greeter" did not address the sign question posed to him by the OP but related some BS about locking guns up at the behest of a "unidentified state agent."

In fact the OP does not state that the greeter even saw the OP's gun. You assumed the greeter saw the gun.
GS reply: Did not "assume" that the greeter knew he had a gun - the OP clearly acknowledges that. Also, please take note of the word "if" in my response.
Lecturing may not be ranting, but it remains lecturing.
GS reply: The harm or fault in "lecturing" is that someone may not like it - really.
The offensive phrase has little to do with the OP's op. You may choose to not believe the OPs accounting related in his second post, no big deal, and continue to focus on the OP's op, again no big deal.

You state a personal attack has occurred and that is a forum rules violation. Do what is to be done and either lock the thread or edit/delete the offending post(s).
GS reply: Will continue to moderate as I have done w/o concern for the few that would disagree or presume to instruct otherwise.
You called the OP out publicly for voicing his opinion and his response to another poster. Being thin skinned is not one of your attributes. Neither is the assuming you did.
GS reply: The object is two fold - to advise the party of the rules w/o awarding Infraction Points and to make clear to everyone else that such attacks are unacceptable. PMs fail as to the latter and prevention is part of my goal.
The preceding has been my own opinion.

We do especially agree on one point though = this thread neeeds a lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.