• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mental health record prevents cop from possessing firearm off duty.

BrianB

Personally I think every judge who was part of this ruling should be recalled. That said, I think the cop should be able to possess firearms while off duty. I think it is unconstitutional to permanently strip someone of their second amendment rights because they at one time had a serious mental health issue. If he has been deemed "cured" by his doctors then I see it as no different than someone who had a disabling restraining who can once again own guns after the restraining order is lifted, or the felon whose rights have been restored.

Even if you commit a state felony you can get your rights restored if the state so-decides. But the law appears to say if you've ever had a serious mental health issue you're barred from owning firearms forever - with no possibility of restoration of that right. That's crap. What this does is tell gun owners "if your wife dies and you just don't think life is living anymore, DO NOT seek professional help, just deal with it on your own, because otherwise you may lose your firearm rights forever, even once time (or professional help) has cured the wound".

This is a huge gaping trap for all of us. I agree that this case is even more egregious because these idiotic courts have said he's not safe to possess guns at home, but just fine to have them when at work. I don't believe in "special rights" for cops. He should have all his gun rights or none of them. In this case it sounds like he should have all of them as I feel any operation of law to the contrary is unconstitutional.

I hope he has the money to take this to SCOTUS.