• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Toby Keith has a restaurant I'll not patronize

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I was in Phoenix, AZ during most of October and while there I noticed the Toby Keith restaurant there had a big "no guns" sign hung prominently as well. I skipped right past it and had some good food at the nearby restaurants that were happy to serve gun carriers.

Marco

No surprise!

With or without the sign I wouldn't be going there.... Toby was/is a huge supporter of Obummer.... that is why Ford dropped him as a spokes person.
The sign just adds fuel to the fire.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
No surprise!

With or without the sign I wouldn't be going there.... Toby was/is a huge supporter of Obummer.... that is why Ford dropped him as a spokes person.
The sign just adds fuel to the fire.

+1

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
It never ceases to amaze me that there are country singers who are quite liberal and support people such as Obama. Faith Hill and her husband, Tim McGraw, came out in his support as did Kelly Clarkson. Don't they know their audience? Or do they just assume they will be overlooked?

WalkingWolf

I don't care what Toby's politics are/is as long as he keeps them to himself. I don't want grocery store cashiers preaching politics let alone some overly rich snob, WHO gets his money from the public not government.

The good thing is celebrity restaurants usually fail. Anybody remember Jim Nabors, Kenny Rogers, among other restaurant failures. The successful restaurants that do make it owned by celebrities are smart enough to keep their name out of it.

HPmatt

….. The successful restaurants that do make it owned by celebrities are smart enough to keep their name out of it.

Guess the Tazer's firing on all cylinders - glad to see you're in the land of the posting….

fjpro2a

Nice!

I don't care what Toby's politics are/is as long as he keeps them to himself. I don't want grocery store cashiers preaching politics let alone some overly rich snob, WHO gets his money from the public not government.

The good thing is celebrity restaurants usually fail. Anybody remember Jim Nabors, Kenny Rogers, among other restaurant failures. The successful restaurants that do make it owned by celebrities are smart enough to keep their name out of it.

I always feel better after reading a WalkingWolf post.

va_tazdad

I love Toby's music

and the fact that he does multiple USO tours every year.

I can overlook his being a democrat same as I do with my daughter. Neither of them try to preach to me about how wrong I am as a conservative. If he voted for NObama, so be it. That is his right as an American citizen.

I will not go to his place as they are anti, but I see no reason to stop listening to his music. His concerts are fun and very entertaining.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
It never ceases to amaze me that there are country singers who are quite liberal and support people such as Obama. Faith Hill and her husband, Tim McGraw, came out in his support as did Kelly Clarkson. Don't they know their audience? Or do they just assume they will be overlooked?

That's cause it is not country music. It's a version of pop music that has yet to be defined. Hank wouldn't have done it this way.

paramedic70002

Per TK's FB page, they have an official response to the controversy, which makes two odd claims:

1. The Commonwealth of Virginia officially endorses and encourages banning guns from private property.

2. That the insurance provider of this establishment requires them to ban guns.

I call bovine feces! Prove it. Name names. Who, at what state agency, advised them? Publish your insurance policy.

I advised them of same.

WalkingWolf

and the fact that he does multiple USO tours every year.

I can overlook his being a democrat same as I do with my daughter. Neither of them try to preach to me about how wrong I am as a conservative. If he voted for NObama, so be it. That is his right as an American citizen.

I will not go to his place as they are anti, but I see no reason to stop listening to his music. His concerts are fun and very entertaining.

Toby is welcome to his opinion, and he actually does not own the restaurant, he just sold them his name. But you do realize those USO tours are to put dollars in his pocket. Not saying that is a bad thing, just that it is part of sales, and not some heroic act.

The wise thing for him to do would be to set the record straight himself, if he does not I have to believe he approves of the owners choice. If that affects his record sales so be it. I don't expect his restaurant to last, unless it has good food for the money. A celebrity name will only carry so far, personally I don't like these yuppie type hype business.

zoom6zoom

Reviews I have read from folks who have been to other locations is that the food is incredibly mediocre, at best. And the service isn't even that good.

I live three miles from the place. There are way many other better choices in the area.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Reviews I have read from folks who have been to other locations is that the food is incredibly mediocre, at best. And the service isn't even that good.

I live three miles from the place. There are way many other better choices in the area.

I have always like non franchised restaurants, places like Ruby Tuesday, and Fridays give hives. Hell yuppies give me hives.

va_tazdad

This just in.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoc...st-restaurant-causes-outcry/?partner=yahootix

"Virginia is an open carry state, meaning gun enthusiasts are welcome to brandish their weapons openly — except within private premises or businesses that enact a ban."

Really??? And here I thought Brandishing was against the law?????

Maybe Clare O'Connor, Forbes Staff, should check the law Before she spews incorrect information!

"While we understand and respect every person’s right to own and bear arms, we at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill, with guidance from the State of Virginia and based on insurance regulations, have adopted a no weapons policy. It is our desire to provided a safe, enjoyable and entertaining experience for our patrons and staff."???????????

What agency from the state gave them this guidance? What steps have they taken to protect the patrons? Sounds like Bovine scatology to me.

Sadly, once again, the truth is far from what has been printed in the media. It is nice however, to see that it is getting national attention.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

The problem with antis thinking it is anti common sense. It is like the argument that law abiding armed citizens will get drunk and have a shoot out. I believe being drunk and armed in VA is against the law. It would not be the openly armed lawful citizen doing this, it would be the person hiding his gun so he can get drunk, and that type don't give no poop about a sign.

EMNofSeattle

Per TK's FB page, they have an official response to the controversy, which makes two odd claims:

1. The Commonwealth of Virginia officially endorses and encourages banning guns from private property.

2. That the insurance provider of this establishment requires them to ban guns.

I call bovine feces! Prove it. Name names. Who, at what state agency, advised them? Publish your insurance policy.

I advised them of same.

Well I find the insurance part believable, one of the guys who does gun videos on youtube (TheYankeeMarshal) used to own a bar in Portland Oregon and says his insurance company pressured him to put signs banning guns....

Of course if that was universal in the insurance industry everywhere would ban guns..... So it does beg the question, why not switch insurance carriers....

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=fJESIYHJYcI[/video]

Last edited:

Uber_Olafsun

The insurance thing is what bothering me. It almost seems like they are taking liability for safety since they want guns banned. Hey are so worried they will be sued if someone carries in there why shouldn't they be sued if something happens because it is posted now.