Thread: Open carry in a car?

Open carry in a car?

I have a level 2 serpa duty holster. Just wondering how you guys comfortably sit in the car with them? I'm a fairly big guy (6'5, 245) and the belt attachment it comes with probably needs to be swapped with a paddle, but (never thought I'd say this) my kydex iwb is more comfortable with seatbelt issues, ect. Cant really explain it, its just sitting low enough to be annoying.

What's the trick, guys???

Makin' it through class with tapatalk

Where is it hitting you? (I'm presuming that is your complaint. It's the most frequent one I hear/read.)

Would adjusting your cant resolve the problem? How about shifting it forward/backwards an inch?

Without knowing specifically what the problem/concern is it is hard to suggest realistic fixes. Sort of like diagnosing a sore throat by mail with no pictures.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Strongside is usually a problem with a 0 degree cant. Cant the holster and you should be able to comfortably wear it. I had no problems with DH duty holster with a model 28. Another solution is to use a gun belt instead of a trouser belt. This will allow the belt to ride up the waist when sitting. Or if you are in a vehicle a lot go to a crossdraw cant with the serpa.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

My EDC is a CZ82 in a fobus paddle. The paddle does make for quick adjustments when I change up vehicles. I, just recently, spent a few weeks carrying a full size 1911 and I was banging into everything. Even with the paddle I would hit the seatbelt bracket getting in and out. I guess it just takes time to get the best position.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    My EDC is a CZ82 in a fobus paddle. The paddle does make for quick adjustments when I change up vehicles. I, just recently, spent a few weeks carrying a full size 1911 and I was banging into everything. Even with the paddle I would hit the seatbelt bracket getting in and out. I guess it just takes time to get the best position.
    If you can adjust the cant to reverse cant, try crossdraw, it solves most issues especially for the driver. Even for a passenger crossdraw seems better. I sometimes buckle my belt around the passenger seat when driving alone. Usually when I am with the boss she is driving. In the case of the latter I have access to both my guns on the passenger side.

For the OP the serpa is a excellent crossdraw holster.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Reverse cant is pistol pointing to the rear right? Ill try it out and see if it helps. Thanks!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J_dazzle23 View Post
    Reverse cant is pistol pointing to the rear right? Ill try it out and see if it helps. Thanks!

No that is forward cant.

Reverse cant is with the barrel indexed forward.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    No that is forward cant.

Reverse cant is with the barrel indexed forward.
    They used to call that butt forward on Calvary holsters, except they were twist draw not cross draw, but the same cant. Twist draw is another option strong side, but rarely used anymore. To use twist draw though he would need a new holster.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump