• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in a car?

J_dazzle23

I have a level 2 serpa duty holster. Just wondering how you guys comfortably sit in the car with them? I'm a fairly big guy (6'5, 245) and the belt attachment it comes with probably needs to be swapped with a paddle, but (never thought I'd say this) my kydex iwb is more comfortable with seatbelt issues, ect. Cant really explain it, its just sitting low enough to be annoying.

What's the trick, guys???

Makin' it through class with tapatalk

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Where is it hitting you? (I'm presuming that is your complaint. It's the most frequent one I hear/read.)

Would adjusting your cant resolve the problem? How about shifting it forward/backwards an inch?

Without knowing specifically what the problem/concern is it is hard to suggest realistic fixes. Sort of like diagnosing a sore throat by mail with no pictures.

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

Strongside is usually a problem with a 0 degree cant. Cant the holster and you should be able to comfortably wear it. I had no problems with DH duty holster with a model 28. Another solution is to use a gun belt instead of a trouser belt. This will allow the belt to ride up the waist when sitting. Or if you are in a vehicle a lot go to a crossdraw cant with the serpa.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
My EDC is a CZ82 in a fobus paddle. The paddle does make for quick adjustments when I change up vehicles. I, just recently, spent a few weeks carrying a full size 1911 and I was banging into everything. Even with the paddle I would hit the seatbelt bracket getting in and out. I guess it just takes time to get the best position.

WalkingWolf

My EDC is a CZ82 in a fobus paddle. The paddle does make for quick adjustments when I change up vehicles. I, just recently, spent a few weeks carrying a full size 1911 and I was banging into everything. Even with the paddle I would hit the seatbelt bracket getting in and out. I guess it just takes time to get the best position.

If you can adjust the cant to reverse cant, try crossdraw, it solves most issues especially for the driver. Even for a passenger crossdraw seems better. I sometimes buckle my belt around the passenger seat when driving alone. Usually when I am with the boss she is driving. In the case of the latter I have access to both my guns on the passenger side.

For the OP the serpa is a excellent crossdraw holster.

J_dazzle23

Reverse cant is pistol pointing to the rear right? Ill try it out and see if it helps. Thanks!

Makin' it through class with tapatalk

WalkingWolf

No that is forward cant.

Reverse cant is with the barrel indexed forward.

They used to call that butt forward on Calvary holsters, except they were twist draw not cross draw, but the same cant. Twist draw is another option strong side, but rarely used anymore. To use twist draw though he would need a new holster.