• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying ammo in Canada?

av8tr1

Sorry if this is an off topic post.

I am heading up to BC for a couple of days. Buddy of mine up there said that there is .22 aplenty up there. What issues might I face purchasing a bunch and bringing it back here to Seattle for personal use? Is there a permit or something I need to bring it back over the boarder? Does it need to go through a FFL?

Bill45

From what I understand, to be able to buy ammunition in Canada you will need a Canadian "PAL" or Possession and Acquisition License.

Then to import into the U.S. you will need to contact the ATF for the proper red tape forms etc.

You should go to the CANADA open carry forum and ask. Then contact the ATF to see how much KY jelly you will need to get back into the good ol' USA.

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
It shall be unlawful for any person other than an FFL, knowingly to import, or bring into the
United States, any firearms or ammunition. 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(1).

According to the ATF...
An unlicensed person may obtain a permit to import sporting ammunition (excluding
armor-piercing, tracer, or incendiary ammunition) and firearm parts (other than frames,
receivers, firearm barrels, or barreled actions) without engaging the services of an FFL,
provided the items are for personal use and not for resale.
Page 3 Item#7
(http://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/g...poration-verification-guidebook--complete.pdf)

ATF F 5330.3A (Form 6, Part I) - Application and Permit for Importation of Firearms,
Ammunition, and Implements of War

Last edited:

av8tr1

Ok, roger that. No ammo buying for me. Have to get in line at Wally World like everyone else. Thanks for the info.