• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry v. Open Carry: Age Requirements

KzooCarry

Can anyone explain to me why at 18 (in most states) it is legal to carry a gun open on your hip, but you must be 21 to conceal carry. If you are essentially saying 18 year olds are generally responsible to carry a firearm, why the three year barrier? I am approaching 18 and am going into the field of law enforcement. I am going to carry regardless. However, I would rather conceal carry because I will not alarm other citizens who may not be accustomed to firearms and I do not want a potential threat to have the advantage to knowing I am armed. Being so, I cannot understand why at the age of 18 you can carry a weapon, just not concealed.

DamnYankeeOk

Just an arbitrary law. Just like how you can die at 18 for your country but not drink alcohol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Want the straight answer? The one nobody else will tell you?

And I'm not going to make you subscribe to anything, or watch some stupid video before you get the answer.

Here it is: The age differential is in compliance with the BISS Doctrine, which is one of the most stringently enforced international laws.

stay safe.

BISS Doctrine is what your parents/teachers/boss fall back on: Because I Say So.

eye95

Because concealed carry is actually two distinct and separable acts. The carry is lawful at 18. The separate act of concealing, which the Alabama Supreme Court referred to as "the evil act," and which once was completely illegal in almost every jurisdiction, being an act that was nearly exclusive to criminals, is what is being licensed or forbidden, not the carry.

The real question is, "Why does one have to be 21 and licensed to cover a gun with a piece of fabric?"

My answer to that question is that I don't care enough to waste my time on that issue when there are so many more deserving of resources. If they tell me I can't cover it, I won't--as long as they don't try to tell me that I can't carry it!

solus

you seem to have a fixation on what you like to call 'drive by posters' who might have, in fact, a legit query..

and you never seem to contribute to the poster's query except to criticize...

oh wait, I suppose you never, ever, absolutely NEVER, asked a question in your life and grew up knowing all of the answers affecting your world, eh?

what a strange world you must live in knowing all the answers to every question so you don't have to ask any...

ipse

Nice touch skidmark...nice!

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
How about convincing this young whippersnapper to hang around and participate and learn how us common folk think and view our rights. If he wants to be a cop lets teach him how not to violate peoples rights. Lets teach him to be a good cop. And help him not to allow bad cops to corrupt him.

It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.

solus

How about convincing this young whippersnapper to hang around and participate and learn how us common folk think and view our rights. If he wants to be a cop lets teach him how not to violate peoples rights. Lets teach him to be a good cop. And help him not to allow bad cops to corrupt him.

It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.

hear hear...

ipse

WalkingWolf

BTW OP, you could move to those states that concealed carry is a recognized constitutional right, instead of a privilege.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
you seem to have a fixation on what you like to call 'drive by posters' who might have, in fact, a legit query..

and you never seem to contribute to the poster's query except to criticize...

oh wait, I suppose you never, ever, absolutely NEVER, asked a question in your life and grew up knowing all of the answers affecting your world, eh?

what a strange world you must live in knowing all the answers to every question so you don't have to ask any...

ipse

Nice touch skidmark...nice!

Solus, I understand what you are saying. I love to answer questions for new people, and welcome them to the forum. It just seems there has been a bunch of "young" posters with a question, and never heard from again. Like maybe an agency trying to get somebody to say something incriminating. (I'm not a tin foil type) It just seems to be a sudden rash of these lately. I encourage people of all ages to join the forum, I would just like a poster who asks a question to at least post back that their question was answered, or needs more clarification.