• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chicago Ban Laser Sights, Again Trying to Skirt the IL Handgun Preemption

cirrusly

As you probably already know, in July 2013 IL passed legislation effectively preempting all handgun restrictions.

handgunlaw.us; said:
Section 90. Preemption.

The regulation, licensing, possession, registration, and transportation of concealed handguns and ammunition
for concealed handguns by licensees are exclusive powers and functions of the State. Any ordinance or
regulation, or portion thereof, enacted on or before the effective date of this Act that purports to impose
regulations or restrictions on licensees or concealed handguns and ammunition for concealed handguns in a
manner inconsistent with this Act shall be invalid in its application to licensees under this Act on the
effective date of this Act. This Section is a denial and limitation of home rule powers and functions under
subsection (h) of Section 6 of Article VII of the Illinois Constitution.

Note: All local restrictions on Handguns are null and void. Local Governments can keep their restrictions
on long guns and magazine bans for long guns.

Yet, Chicago in their unrelenting efforts to disarm law abiding citizens enacted an ordinance against laser sites. Several other municipalities also have similar ordinances.

handgunlaw.us; said:
8-20-060 Possession of a Laser Sight Accessory, Firearm Silencer or Muffler.

(a) It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess, display for sale, sell or otherwise transfer any laser sight
accessory, or a firearm silencer or muffler.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/09/matt-in-fl/chicago-laser-sights/

I wanted to pick up a Ruger LC9 with a Crimson laser grip. Technically since a laser grip would be built into the handgun, I don't think it would hold up in court as an "accessory," but I don't want to take a trip in metal bracelets either way. Looks like I'll be getting the Ruger without the Crimson.

Wanted to post this article, as many members on the IL forums were unaware of these "laser sight" and "handgun accessory" ordinances.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Gubbermint opened itself to ridicule--again.

Laser sights help keep legitimate self-defense rounds on target, and off innocents.

WalkingWolf

Gubbermint opened itself to ridicule--again.

Laser sights help keep legitimate self-defense rounds on target, and off innocents.

NYC cops should all have laser sighted guns. Ohhh never mind they still probably couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

SteveInCO

NYC cops should all have laser sighted guns. Ohhh never mind they still probably couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

A laser sight won't prevent an NYC cop from pulling the shot once the dot is on the target. (In fact it might just convince an ignorant ass that his gun is defective--"Look I even had the laser on the X and the stupid thing still shot the next target over after ricocheting off the floor.")

Kopis

Im not a laser sight fan, i find that i concentrate too hard on the dot instead of trusting my natural aim but to each their own. As another poster mentioned, a lot of weapons now have them built in from the factory. The law specifically says "laser sight accessory" but like you, im not a risk taker in that area!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Im not a laser sight fan, i find that i concentrate too hard on the dot instead of trusting my natural aim but to each their own. As another poster mentioned, a lot of weapons now have them built in from the factory. The law specifically says "laser sight accessory" but like you, im not a risk taker in that area!

I've seen two advantages from laser sights.

1. It allows you to shoot from positions where you cannot see the sights. For example, with the gun tucked in tight at waist-level to prevent a gun-grab in an up-close-and-personal scenario, or, say, knocked off your feet and flat on your back.

2. It improved my point shooting via dry-fire practice.* I've reached the point where I can "point" below line of sight, and then activate the laser to check point-of-impact. Its gotten lots closer with practice. That is to say, I practiced pointing with the laser activated. Then, after a while, I would point without the laser, then activate the laser button to check accuracy. I'm quite pleased. I won't hit a quarter by point shooting at ten feet, but I can pretty much always land on a 3 1/2 x 6 light switch cover plate. I attribute this to plenty of practice pointing with the laser turned on.

Now, I'm sure one can achieve the same level of skill without a laser. I found it helped tremendously to be able to dry-fire practice with the laser, instead of using up ammo and paid range time on a range.

The laser also helps a bit with trigger control during dry-fire. You can see it when you "pull the shot."

*This is for new guys. During dry-fire practice, you want to observe all safety rules--even though you "know" the gun is empty. Apparently, quite a few walls have been holed because the practicer forgot to unload the gun and empty the magazine.

Kopis

I've seen two advantages from laser sights.

1. It allows you to shoot from positions where you cannot see the sights. For example, with the gun tucked in tight at waist-level to prevent a gun-grab in an up-close-and-personal scenario, or, say, knocked off your feet and flat on your back.

2. It improved my point shooting via dry-fire practice.* I've reached the point where I can "point" below line of sight, and then activate the laser to check point-of-impact. Its gotten lots closer with practice. That is to say, I practiced pointing with the laser activated. Then, after a while, I would point without the laser, then activate the laser button to check accuracy. I'm quite pleased. I won't hit a quarter by point shooting at ten feet, but I can pretty much always land on a 3 1/2 x 6 light switch cover plate. I attribute this to plenty of practice pointing with the laser turned on.

Now, I'm sure one can achieve the same level of skill without a laser. I found it helped tremendously to be able to dry-fire practice with the laser, instead of using up ammo and paid range time on a range.

The laser also helps a bit with trigger control during dry-fire. You can see it when you "pull the shot."

*This is for new guys. During dry-fire practice, you want to observe all safety rules--even though you "know" the gun is empty. Apparently, quite a few walls have been holed because the practicer forgot to unload the gun and empty the magazine.

I like that draw and check your point of aim practice idea. Good point on the shooting when you cant see the sights either. Im not against them, they just arent for me. I wouldnt mind a weapon that came with them in the grip like a kimber crimson trace. i hate an aftermarket laser under the barrel because it's a pain to get holsters to fit after that.