Thread: Traveling Through

Traveling Through

Hello, I'm an OCer from Michigan, and I will be traveling through Virgina in January on my way to North Carolina. It's still a few weeks out, but I figure I should start looking up what laws I will need to follow on my way down.

I'm looking for:
    Summary of laws with citations
    Dos and Don'ts of OC
    Dos and Don'ts of CC
    Any other good information you think I may need.

I have a Michigan CPL (Concealed Pistol License)

Thanks.

Sorry to be short, but this has everything you are looking for.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bigt8261 View Post
    Hello, I'm an OCer from Michigan, and I will be traveling through Virgina in January on my way to North Carolina. It's still a few weeks out, but I figure I should start looking up what laws I will need to follow on my way down.

I'm looking for:
    Dos and Don'ts of OC
    Dos and Don'ts of CC

Thanks.
    How about starting with www.handgunlaw.us, click on Virginia, read all 14 pages and then get back to us if there's still an unanswered question....

Note that on page 10, concerning carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol: It states that consuming alcohol is illegal which is only partially true. If you are openly carrying, you may consume, but we strongly advise against it. If you are carrying concealed, you may not consume alcoholic beverages. Note that there are no "bars" in Virginia, only restaurants that serve alcohol.
    Last edited by JamesCanby; 12-30-2013 at 10:28 AM.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    How about starting with www.handgunlaw.us, click on Virginia, read all 14 pages and then get back to us if there's still an unanswered question....

Note that on page 10, concerning carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol: It states that consuming alcohol is illegal which is only partially true. If you are openly carrying, you may consume, but we strongly advise against it. If you are carrying concealed, you may not consume alcoholic beverages. Note that there are no "bars" in Virginia, only restaurants that serve alcohol.
    Thank you for the reference, but I've found too many inaccuracies at handgunlaw.us to just read it and trust it. Asking in these sub forums has been the most accurate and up-to-date method for me in the past.

Your reference to consuming alcohol speaks to my point. Many times it takes a discerning reader to understand the intricacies when OC is added to the mix. Most people don't read firearm laws while thinking of OC. I find that to be less of an issue here.

Interesting set of points here.

Point 1: People are unlikely to be willing to rehash the complete set of laws and expected behavior when such information already exists in other places.

Point 2: When such information does exist in a commonly used reference repository (handgunlaw.us) perhaps it would be wisest to occasionally review such information, and have it corrected there, instead of rehashing Point 1.

TFred

Anticipatory welcome to Virginia. When in January will you be passing through, and will you be stopping long enough to be worthwhile setting up a meet&greet?

Sure does make me feel good when furriners start asking for all the nitty-gritty and petty laws about OCing in Virginia. It's heartwarming to know that we do not have the amount of official oppression as folks from other places have. (Yes, we could stand to lose a few more of the laws we are currently saddled with, but in comparison this is truely Free America!)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

In Michigan prohibited places are pretty much wrapped up in two statues, though they interact a little weird with each other.

One is a list of places that you cannot possess a firearm, with an exception to anyone that has a CPL. The other is a list of places that you cannot CONCEAL a firearm.

There are very few places you cannot openly carry your firearm in Michigan with a CPL.

There are very few places you cannot openly carry your firearm in Michigan with a CPL.
    There are very few places in Virginia where a permit affects one's ability to carry.

National Forests and elementary school parking lots are pretty much all that comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    K-12 school parking lots.

Slight correction...

I'm looking for:
    Dos and Don'ts of OC
    Dos and Don'ts of CC

Thanks.

This might answer some of your questions:
    http://vcdl.org/CarryInfo

If you see a gun buster sign just avoid the place.

If you have a specific question fire away, as someone will most likely know/have an answer.

If you are inclined to post when and were you'll be somewhere you can host/invite us locals to join you.
    Please try to give as much advance notice as possible.
    Last edited by Marco; 12-30-2013 at 07:19 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Slight correction...
    Good call. That's what I meant, I swear.