Thread: Charlottesville's 'Knockout' beating - CPD not helpful?

Charlottesville's 'Knockout' beating - CPD not helpful?

Anybody know anything about this:

Knockout: Victims of brutal Downtown Mall assault want arrests, and answers from police

Are the CPD really uncaring, incompetent, overworked ... what?

I'm struck by this comment, though, from a victim:
    I was attacked years ago by three men fitting phyisical description and behavior -- laughing and carrying on like a game. i had no one to protect but myself so i was able to stay down and take the fun out of it for them. i sustained some injuries but not as bad as Marc's. i managed to use my voice when i gained consciousness and yelled out when i realized i was getting beaten. ...

For those advocating guns - i do not believe carrying a is a solution...first of all my defenses were down and i never saw the knock out punch coming so a gun wouldve been useless. Secondly, for many reasons i'd rather take a beating than possibly kill someone or vainly try to deliver wounds to all three and get shot myself, or at the very least, encourage them and the rest of society to carry.
    So, he would rather be beaten to unconsciousness than defend himself with a gun. Not only that, but his "defenses were down" so he wasn't paying attention? What qualifies him to give advice?

Maybe he wants validation of his chosen helplessness? I dunno. Even if he didn't see it coming, perhaps his companion could have used it for her protection?
    Last edited by SAvage410; 12-30-2013 at 05:22 PM.

first of all my defenses were down and i never saw the knock out punch coming so a gun wouldve been useless.
    So he's a stupid oblivious sheep walking around in condition white; therefore I would not see it coming and be defenseless as well. My usual SA condition is a magenta.

Take chill pill, folks, and after getting your breath back stop and reconsider a few things.

Yes, the vast majority of victims were not paying attention to any of the signs that would have warned them that something Bad was about to happen. But even someone in "Condition High Orange" (sometimes referred to as DefCon 3.5) can be coldcocked by a blow "out of the blue". As a matter of fact, I suggest that the higher your level of alertness the easier it can be to blindside you - all just by forcing you to pay attention in one direction and launching the attack from another.

Stop and consider how easily you get into tunnel vision when you are confronted with the threat of a threat. Also stop and consider how often you do not move to a place where you have an improved defensive position, as opposed to "keeping an eye on" the potential threat while generally continuing on your way.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    That's the type of girl I want .. one who will take pics of my impending death !

Or this girl ...
    http://media.wtfunny.com/content/pic...fh9F7ItyFy.jpg

Your choice

Update to the Charlottesville beating

Apparently the chief has been stung by the criticism over a lack of police response:

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/ch...9bb30f31a.html

"Mall Ambassadors". Wow! Just ... wow!

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Take chill pill, folks, and after getting your breath back stop and reconsider a few things.

Yes, the vast majority of victims were not paying attention to any of the signs that would have warned them that something Bad was about to happen. But even someone in "Condition High Orange" (sometimes referred to as DefCon 3.5) can be coldcocked by a blow "out of the blue". As a matter of fact, I suggest that the higher your level of alertness the easier it can be to blindside you - all just by forcing you to pay attention in one direction and launching the attack from another.

Stop and consider how easily you get into tunnel vision when you are confronted with the threat of a threat. Also stop and consider how often you do not move to a place where you have an improved defensive position, as opposed to "keeping an eye on" the potential threat while generally continuing on your way.

stay safe.
    I agree. I have seen videos capturing several of these "Attacks" and they are launched suddenly and brutally with little or no advance warning, often after the group has passed you. Unless you can move through life and force a 15 foot buffer zone around you in all directions at all times some of these attacks can be very hard to prevent. By all means try but try not to rake those not as talented over the coals too bad if they get hit out of the blue.

Comments shut down (hateful) -- CPD Chief orders internal investigation

New Developments:

Charlottesville Newspaper Shuts Down Comments on Knockout Game Report for 'Hateful Nature'
    "Please do not use this comment stream as a forum for social diatribes, for racist ranging, or for expressing anger. We will delete you."
    Um, is that a threat?

Charlottesville police chief orders internal review in mall attack case
    Charlottesville police are conducting an internal audit of what they described as a “breakdown” in their response to a beating on the Downtown Mall, the department said Monday.

Police Chief Timothy J. Longo reviewed a report on the case Monday morning and immediately assigned detectives to investigate the attack, police said.

I for one look forward to all of the people playing this game being charged under the federal hate crimes statutes. In my opinion it is charge one, charge all.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by half_life1052 View Post
    I for one look forward to all of the people playing this game being charged under the federal hate crimes statutes. In my opinion it is charge one, charge all.
    Charge them with the Acts of ASSAULT or other crimes they have committed at a STATE or MUNICIPAL level. This area of law is an area the FEDS have absolutely no business in. Also, I don't support "thought crime" statutes for how can one prove what another is thinking?
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 12-31-2013 at 07:24 PM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Charge them with the Acts of ASSAULT or other crimes they have committed at a STATE or MUNICIPAL level. This area of law is an area the FEDS have absolutely no business in. Also, I don't support "thought crime" statutes for how can one prove what another is thinking?
    No arguments from here,Joe. My comments were sarcastic.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by half_life1052 View Post
    No arguments from here,Joe. My comments were sarcastic.
    It is hard to tell online without them being labeled as such.....

"/Sarcasm" is one I use fairly often.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Update

Seems the folks involved have finally been arrested:

http://www.nbc12.com/story/24398736/...ville-arrested

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SAvage410 View Post
    Seems the folks involved have finally been arrested:

http://www.nbc12.com/story/24398736/...ville-arrested
    The victims snapped photos of their attackers in the Dec. 20th beating.

Whaaat?

More coverage:

Virginia Thugs Beat White Couple During Knock Out Style Attack – Police Refuse to Identify The Attackers As Black, and Refuse to Use Pictures of Them In Investigation… *Update* Thugs Turn Themselves In – Police Apologize

TFred

ETA: It really disgusts me that these two thugs are charged with misdemeanors, but a law-abiding citizen, openly carrying a handgun on a public sidewalk that happens to be 999 feet away from any school property is a felon.
    Last edited by TFred; 01-10-2014 at 02:44 AM.