• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with an empty holster?

teddyearp

After reading all the latest changes over the last decade+ in the laws in Cali since I left in '95, it looks like this might be the only way to make a statement.

Or is it?

I don't post this to troll, just as an honest question. I was born and raised in Cali and had many of my firearms taken away from me for minor infractions for the way that PC12025 and 12031 was written way back then. This led me to disown my native state and move to AZ.

So I guess pending any lawsuits, maybe the only way we could carry in Cali is with an empty holster; the firearm (if any) contained unloaded in a separate locked case and ammo twice removed.

After all I am:

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

There was a case in Illinois years ago of a student arrested for wearing a empty holster on campus. I have no idea what happened to the case, I can't even remember what they charged him with.

What are the laws on OCing a large knife in CA? Places that I cannot carry a handgun in NC I carry a large bowie OC. IMO a large bowie is a more effective deterrent than an empty holster, and it still gets the point across.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
There was a case in Illinois years ago of a student arrested for wearing a empty holster on campus. I have no idea what happened to the case, I can't even remember what they charged him with.

What are the laws on OCing a large knife in CA? Places that I cannot carry a handgun in NC I carry a large bowie OC. IMO a large bowie is a more effective deterrent than an empty holster, and it still gets the point across.

A fixed blade knife must be carried openly in California. There might be restrictions on length in various municipalities. I was thinking a large khukri myself, but to each their own.

WalkingWolf

A fixed blade knife must be carried openly in California. There might be restrictions on length in various municipalities. I was thinking a large khukri myself, but to each their own.

I have OC'd with a khurkri myself, but I prefer my bowies. I usually use the khurkri in the brush.

teddyearp

An empty holster is a legal and appropriate 1st amendment demonstration.

L.U.C.C. (or locked case transport) is also legal in most circumstances.

That's kind of what I meant, an empty holster as a statement. But is L.U.C.C. still OK in the CSSR? After all, some of the other 'exemptions' have been overrun. I.E., I cannot even carry in my campsite from what I've been reading here. Reading about folks' camp trailers and RV's being considered a 'public place' and such concerns me.