• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

finally gave in for my ccw

covi

over the holidays i finally decided to get my ccw. many places around wilmington serve alcohol. i hate having to leave my gun in the car. so i broke down and am getting my ccw. im still going to open carry all of the time but when i go somewhere that sells alcohol i will no longer have to worry about my car being broken into and my gun stolen. plus my wifes father keeps pestering me about it. he actually gave me the money to do it.lady at the sheriffs office said at least 90-120 days to get back all of the paper work. that seems like a long time. a guy i work with said his took 2 weeks. but thats in pender county. he also said he didnt have near as much paper work as i did. it was like a novel

WalkingWolf

It's called a CHP in NC, it will probably take 5 weeks once the paperwork is turned in, granted you can turn it in without a appointment. All the permits have to go through Raleigh before the counties approve them, that is what makes it take so long.

We have a handgun safe under the seat, plus two steel cables in the trunk to store the guns. I OC in restaurants that serve alcohol occasionally, I just change what I OC. Instead of a firearm I OC a large bowie, it still acts as a deterrent and I am still exercising my right. Mostly I pick places that do not serve alcohol. I don't drink, I don't pay for atmosphere, I like my restaurants to be brightly lit, have reasonable prices and service.

solus

the wait is due to mental health bkgnd check...

ipse

Last edited:

Jamesm760

I got mine due to the alcohol serving restaurants and movie theatres. I probably won't need it again after it expires. I just throw my shirt over the glock when I go into places where I need to CC. Took me 4 months to get in Meck county, just picked it up a week ago. Don't feel guilty, do what you have to do.

covi

i don't feel guilty one bit. just did not want to give the state any more of my money. but there are reasons that i needed to get it

ron73440

I'm still arguing with myself about it. I know it would make things more convenient, but still can't bring myself to ask permission when I can OC at 99% of the places I go (except work, but a CHP wouldn't help there anyway).

My wife goes back and forth as well, she thinks having one could help if cops hassle me, but she doesn't want to spend the money when I am going to OC regardless of having a CHP.

covi

I'm still going to oc most of the time….with it if i go to dinner i won't have to leave it in the car. thats the only reason I'm getting it

WalkingWolf

I'm still going to oc most of the time….with it if i go to dinner i won't have to leave it in the car. thats the only reason I'm getting it

We have a safe under the seat, and two cables in the trunk to leave ours in the car on those rare occasions. But mostly we don't eat in restaurants that serve alcohol. Not only are the non serving business less expensive they usually have better food, and are well lit. AND on the occasions we do eat in a alcohol restaurant, I OC a large bowie.

solus

spend the money on a vehicle safe...money better spent especially since if you get stopped you can lock it up and smile as you have assured the officer's safety is maintained and you wont have to endure the hassle of them taking it away for their alleged safety protocols...sigh!!

same for you ron...get a safe.

Maverick9

spend the money on a vehicle safe...money better spent especially since if you get stopped you can lock it up and smile as you have assured the officer's safety is maintained and you wont have to endure the hassle of them taking it away for their alleged safety protocols...sigh!!

You know that's NOT a bad idea. Even if you have a permit. If it's in the safe, the officer might not even need to demand to see your permit. In fact, might be a good idea for the -driver- to put his firearm in the car safe, while the passenger carries as usual (they don't call it shotgun for nuttin').

I'm going to seriously consider that. Now, I don't want to have to spend excessive time and trouble to re-holster, but it might be worth it to avoid the whole 'officer safety' issue.

I might run that by my CHL training guy.

Last edited:

rotorhead

You know that's NOT a bad idea. Even if you have a permit. If it's in the safe, the officer might not even need to demand to see your permit. In fact, might be a good idea for the -driver- to put his firearm in the car safe, while the passenger carries as usual (they don't call it shotgun for nuttin').

I'm going to seriously consider that. Now, I don't want to have to spend excessive time and trouble to re-holster, but it might be worth it to avoid the whole 'officer safety' issue.

I might run that by my CHL training guy.

If it's in the safe and not accessible, it's not carrying concealed- it's transporting, and no notification is required. Notifying the officer that you are a permit holder is only required if you are carrying concealed at the time of the interaction.

Now, will an officer determine that it IS accessible if the safe is within reaching distance from you? Hmm, that's a chance roll. Accessibility is often a judgement call of the officer involved. But in general, if you don't have immediate access to the gun, it's normally not considered "carrying" and classified as "transporting".

Either way, the burden isn't upon the officer to "demand" to see your permit. Instead, the burden is upon you if you are carrying concealed at the time. If so, you must declare it.

carolina guy

If it's in the safe and not accessible, it's not carrying concealed- it's transporting, and no notification is required. Notifying the officer that you are a permit holder is only required if you are carrying concealed at the time of the interaction.

Now, will an officer determine that it IS accessible if the safe is within reaching distance from you? Hmm, that's a chance roll. Accessibility is often a judgement call of the officer involved. But in general, if you don't have immediate access to the gun, it's normally not considered "carrying" and classified as "transporting".

Either way, the burden isn't upon the officer to "demand" to see your permit. Instead, the burden is upon you if you are carrying concealed at the time. If so, you must declare it.

And worst case scenario, it is a $100 fine for not notifying if you have a CHP and are "carrying"...so the penalty threshold is pretty low.

covi

got my permit back really fast. picked it up thursday this week. the date on it shows that it has been ready since jan 25th. that means with the holidays it only took 25 days. i called at 35 days and they said they were working on calling to say that it was ready. idk why it was so fast to get it back

Maverick9

I'm talking in Virginia. It may be different in Florida. Cops in many places don't know the law here. The law is to present your permit and ID on demand (in Va), IF you are carrying. So locked up means not carrying, I think. In addition, there is no law that says you have to discuss where, what, how you are carrying, if you are, and you have the permit, just if you have the permit. Cops don't seem to know that.

notalawyer

I'm talking in Virginia. It may be different in Florida. Cops in many places don't know the law here. The law is to present your permit and ID on demand (in Va), IF you are carrying. So locked up means not carrying, I think. In addition, there is no law that says you have to discuss where, what, how you are carrying, if you are, and you have the permit, just if you have the permit. Cops don't seem to know that.

Well, just an FYI, rotorhead is certainly not describing Florida law. :cool:

Last edited:

Resto Guy

Are you suggesting that during a stop, a cop won't mind if you reach into the floor area or under the seat and retrieve a safe? Then, he will let you unlock and open that safe and allow you to access your weapon, place it in the safe and lock it shut?

You can forget that ever happening. If if ain't in the safe when you get pulled, you won't be locking it away "to make both of us safer". Not even in fictional Mayberry.
Odds are you would get shot in the process.

CDT COX

Myine cost $60 and took 21 days.

In this post I share an alternate avenue for getting a concealed carry permission slip if the one is your state is expensive/timely.

Getting an AZ permit was simple for me since I'm .mil but shouldn't be too hard for you. My total cost was $60 for the permit plus postage which was around $5. It took 21 days from the time I mailed my application to until my permit arrived at my house.

Step 1. See if an AZ permit is honored in your state. AZ permits are valid in the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming

Step 2. Go here: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...ermits/Obtain/ . You must request a permit application packet. Use this link https://www.azdps.gov/About/Contacts/Email/?c=CCW and tell them you'd like a permit application sent to your address. They'll send the application with instructions, two finger print cards, and a return envelope.

Step 3. Part of the eligibility requirements is to complete a firearms safety training program pursuant to ARS §13-3112.N. I used (5.)Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces. You can use (3.)Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course. Use this link to search for classes: http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx Select all "Learn to shoot courses" and search 50 miles from your zip code(longer if you’re willing to drive) If the cost of the class(some are free!) plus $60 is less than the cost for a permit in your state, you’re good to go!

Step 4. Fingerprints. Your application packet requires two INK finger print cards. Your friendly neighborhood law enforcement agency should be able to do this.

Step 5. Mail your completed packet with payment and wait for approval.

Last edited:

solus

Are you suggesting that during a stop, a cop won't mind if you reach into the floor area or under the seat and retrieve a safe? Then, he will let you unlock and open that safe and allow you to access your weapon, place it in the safe and lock it shut?

You can forget that ever happening. If if ain't in the safe when you get pulled, you won't be locking it away "to make both of us safer". Not even in fictional Mayberry.
Odds are you would get shot in the process.

i am sorry you misunderstood, allow me to quantify my post.

safe is bolted behind my seat, as i am safely rolling to a stop, my firearm is placed in the safe w/my left hand and the safe's door is closed and locked.

as the officer is walking up and touching the back quarter panel of my vehicle i am retrieving my DL and ins paperwork.

roll the window half way down, make sure the doors are locked, and then put my hands on the steering wheel where they remain.

he is presented w/the documents with a comment...'can i help you officer?' depending on my mood at the moment, i might, just might throw in a salutation!

LE starts their speech....'do you know?????'

my response...'can i help you officer'

repeat as necessary till encounter is finished...then again depending on my mood, ticket given or not, will provide a 'thanks for your positive consideration officer!'

next public area, stop and get out of the vehicle, find the safe key, and retrieve my firearm.

ipse