Thread: 40,000 new laws take effect in 2014. CNN Tapper dearth of wits interview video

40,000 new laws take effect in 2014. CNN Tapper dearth of wits interview video

"It may have been the least productive year for Congress in history, at least in terms of passing laws – fewer than 60 of which made it through the House and Senate and were signed by President Barack Obama. Across the country, however, state lawmakers were busy getting more than 40,000 bills passed, ones that tackle everything from drones to food stamp benefits."

http://thelead.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12...ffect-in-2014/

"They call me a brainless Tory; but tell me, my young friend, which is better, to be ruled by one tyrant three thousand miles away, or by three thousand tyrants not a mile away. I tell you, my boy, there was just as much humbug in politics seventy years ago as there is today." (Mather Byles, Cotton Mather's grandson, to Nathaniel Emmons, Arthur Wentworth Hamilton Eaton, The Famous Mather Byles: The Noted Boston Tory Preacher, Poet and Wit, 1707-1788)
    "An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as a king can."
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-01-2014 at 09:55 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    SCOTUS said that congress can just add a note to the federal registry to change regulations .. no need to even update the regs.

We have no idea what the laws are anymore nor can one realistically find out.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    SCOTUS said that congress can just add a note to the federal registry to change regulations .. no need to even update the regs.

We have no idea what the laws are anymore nor can one realistically find out.
    Wasn't it Caligula who had his laws written in small print and then hung high on walls so nobody could read them.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Wasn't it Caligula who had his laws written in small print and then hung high on walls so nobody could read them.
    LOL!! Caligula was Gaius Agustus Germanica's epithet meaning 'little boot', -ula the diminutive of caliga, Roman military boot.

Suetonius says, "He allowed the magistrates unrestricted jurisdiction, without appeal to himself. He revised the lists of the Roman knights strictly and scrupulously, yet with due moderation, publicly taking their horses from those guilty of any wicked or scandalous act, but merely omitting to read the names of men convicted of lesser offences. To lighten the labour of the jurors, he added a fifth division to the previous four. He tried also to restore the suffrage to the people by reviving the custom of elections. " A different translation, 'He attempted likewise to restore to the people their ancient right of voting in the choice of magistrates [406]. (http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/6389/pg6389.html)

[440] He was likewise very near banishing the writings and the busts of Virgil and Livy from all libraries; censuring one of them as "a man of no genius and very little learning;" and the other as "a verbose and careless historian." He often talked of the lawyers as if he intended to abolish their profession. "By Hercules!" he would say, "I shall put it out of their power to answer any questions in law, otherwise than by referring to me!"
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-01-2014 at 07:17 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.