• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody carrying a long barrel revolver?

flhrci

I am curious if anyone carries a long revolver similar to the cowboy style. I suppose we are talking around 8 inches in length probably.

Not doing it myself, just interested if any one does or not. I am not sure it is practical or possibly a little provocative/ scary to people (sheeple).

David

mobiushky

To be honest, I would bet that OC of a long barreled revolver would be a lot LESS provocative. The media has so sensationalized firearms that people think "modern military style" guns are scary and evil. Most people probably wouldn't think twice about a revolver. I mean, you always see the hood rats sporting "Glock 40's" sideways in true tactical style right? LOL. It's just my thoughts, but I'd bet people wouldn't be nearly as skittish.

As for "practical" well, that's a debate that no one will budge on and people will stick to their opinions as though their life depends on it. And if we're really honest with ourselves, no one is wrong about their opinions on the subject.

jbone

Only looking for healthy conversation! NO FLAMES! I am just curious like I said.

David

Lighten up Francis!

You'd be hard pressed to find a single topic that hasn't had a bet of humor, unhealthily conversation, or flames injected. For the most part here we role with, it, ignor it, and expect it!

flhrci

Lighten up Francis!

You'd be hard pressed to find a single topic that hasn't had a bet of humor, unhealthily conversation, or flames injected. For the most part here we role with, it, ignor it, and expect it!

Oh I know!Light flames are ok. No hard deep flames. :)

David

Batousaii

To be honest, I would bet that OC of a long barreled revolver would be a lot LESS provocative. The media has so sensationalized firearms that people think "modern military style" guns are scary and evil. Most people probably wouldn't think twice about a revolver. I mean, you always see the hood rats sporting "Glock 40's" sideways in true tactical style right? LOL. It's just my thoughts, but I'd bet people wouldn't be nearly as skittish.

As for "practical" well, that's a debate that no one will budge on and people will stick to their opinions as though their life depends on it. And if we're really honest with ourselves, no one is wrong about their opinions on the subject.

I find this IS the case. When I carry my Ruger vaquero in a nice leather rig (not a long barrel) I get allot of compliments on how nice it looks by some rather unexpected sources, little old ladies, hippies etc. When I carry my 1911 or my wifes automatic, the same ones ask me if I'm a cop, or just kinda give me that big curious look over.
- I very rarely have "negative" encounters as it is, but the looks and reactions are indeed different. Maybe I'll carry my cap-n-ball Remington revolver for a while and see how it goes
:)

flhrci

I find this IS the case. When I carry my Ruger vaquero in a nice leather rig (not a long barrel) I get allot of compliments on how nice it looks by some rather unexpected sources, little old ladies, hippies etc. When I carry my 1911 or my wifes automatic, the same ones ask me if I'm a cop, or just kinda give me that big curious look over.
- I very rarely have "negative" encounters as it is, but the looks and reactions are indeed different. Maybe I'll carry my cap-n-ball Remington revolver for a while and see how it goes

What kind of leather rig do you use? Cowboy style gun belt or something more contemporary looking?

David

WalkingWolf

I find the long barrels cumbersome, but I do carry anywhere from a 4.75 to a 5.5 inch regularly. Along with a 3 inch BUG SA revolver. I get positive reactions, and I am never mistaken for a cop, cowboy sometimes yes, but never a cop. I don't carry in a drop leg though, but my belts do have cartridge loops.

mobiushky

I think it would be very unusual to have someone mistake your for a cop if you're wearing that kind of rig. Remember people are generally unaware and if they do briefly snap out of their self induced zombie state, they only think as far as movies and TV has taught them. So in movies and TV cops and bad guys wear scary black guns. That and, I wouldn't be surprised if the first thought on a lot of their minds is that the gun is either not real or is not functional.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I think it would be very unusual to have someone mistake your for a cop if you're wearing that kind of rig. Remember people are generally unaware and if they do briefly snap out of their self induced zombie state, they only think as far as movies and TV has taught them. So in movies and TV cops and bad guys wear scary black guns. That and, I wouldn't be surprised if the first thought on a lot of their minds is that the guns is either not real or is not functional.

"Are those real?" Is one of the questions I get every once in a while...

Batousaii

What kind of leather rig do you use? Cowboy style gun belt or something more contemporary looking?

David

This is me and my rig (below) :)

"Are those real?" Is one of the questions I get every once in a while...

I usually reply and ask "Is that a real question?" - They usually turn a little red (realizing it's silly to ask that) and then I try to let them know it's perfectly legal in our state, and that good guys carry guns too.

Attachments

• 222-Starbucks_Guns.jpg
    222-Starbucks_Guns.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

flhrci

Nice!

You are the first person I have ever heard of openly wearing that type of gun belt and holster in public. Very cool. Nothing wrong with that to me.

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JoeSparky

Centurion
I have OC'd a S&W 500 magnum with 8 in barrel strong side hip holster to a OCDO/UCC meet and greet meal. A couple of pictures were taken that I was not posing for and believe it or not--- the Revolver was not even visible to the camera!:shocker:
Agreed, it would be quite cumbersome as a dedicated self-defense weapon carried on the hip, but Chest cross draw or even possibly vertical shoulder holster may work.:dude:

ETA: Not telling anyone not to carry one if you want to or if it is the only one you got for self-defense. I just ask that whatever you carry for self-defense that you be proficient and accurate with any rounds placed downrange.

Last edited:

CT Barfly

No.

There's no scientific reason why you couldn't do it...but if someone told you there was a faster/easier/more reliable way to defend yourself...you'd probably have a hard time responding. whether it's size, weight, capacity, speed, appearance, etc...the revolver would probably fall short in some respect (but maybe not all). So it will STILL boil down to personal preference.

A six-shot revolver won't be as good a fighting gun as your average G19.

Batousaii

No.

There's no scientific reason why you couldn't do it...but if someone told you there was a faster/easier/more reliable way to defend yourself...you'd probably have a hard time responding. whether it's size, weight, capacity, speed, appearance, etc...the revolver would probably fall short in some respect (but maybe not all). So it will STILL boil down to personal preference.

A six-shot revolver won't be as good a fighting gun as your average G19.

To me, an automatic is an offensive style weapon, and a six-gun is a defensive tool well fitted for the streets. Also, Six-gunning is where I started, and I am perfectly comfortable with one. Although I often do carry an automatic, it’s usually for winter time concealment because they are a little more comfortable when pressed in to my side under clothing, and because my wife pirated my snubby, so I’m using her .380 Cheetah, it’s small, handy and easy to carry.

• Now… If I was swathing my way through zombies, restoring the constitution, or fending off the North Korean invasion, then the high capacity handgun would be my sidearm of choice. My primary would of course be a reliable military style rifle as well. For the travel to and from work, going to the grocery store, or a night out with the wife, I usually carry a .38 snub-nosed revolver in stainless (or the cheetah, or a 1911 –lol). Dry weekends, I like my .45 Vaquero. If you’re going to assault me when I have my Vaquero with me, you better bring a few armed friends, cause the first couple are catching Volkswagens. I grew up with a single action cap-n-ball in my hand, as it was my first gun and I had it for years. It was an 1860 Army (Replica) in .44 to be exact. I spent more hours drawing, spinning and shooting that gun than I can remember. I am a firm believer that it’s the first shot landed that usually wins, and thus my .45 Colt is a favorite. Don’t discount a good revolver, their reliability makes up for capacity in most situations that a civilian will get in to. But carry what YOU can use best, that’s simply the best formula all around.

BLKH2O

Theres just something about a six-shooter (western style that is) that I have always liked. Might have something to do with my age (62) and growing up watching westerns on Saturdays at the local YMCA. I grew up knowing that anyone toting a sixgun was probably a better shot as they had to make each shot count. I have my share of semi-autos and carry a Glock most of the time. The only sixgun I own is a Ruger Blackhawk in .357mag. In my opinion, I think someone carrying a sixgun just looks more impressive, although I haven't seen anyone carrying one in my part of the state as of yet. Somehow it just makes a statement like, "I'm your Huckleberry."

WalkingWolf

(snip)I am a firm believer that it’s the first shot landed that usually wins,

+1,000,000 BINGO! All those rounds do no one any good unless they hit their mark. If it takes a person 20 rounds to hit their mark that have serious problems. IMO in the past 20 years pray and spray has been more common in gunfights, and often nobody gets shot, or shot seriously.

It is rumored that Wyatt Earp took his time to aim, and always came out on top.

Batousaii

+1,000,000 BINGO! All those rounds do no one any good unless they hit their mark. If it takes a person 20 rounds to hit their mark that have serious problems. IMO in the past 20 years pray and spray has been more common in gunfights, and often nobody gets shot, or shot seriously.

It is rumored that Wyatt Earp took his time to aim, and always came out on top.

Ah yes, the ancient technique of aim-fu. Some still practice it today, myself included. I am however a strong proponent of accurate reflexive point shooting too. But like aiming takes much practice and control, and this iteself becomes a form of aiming due to it being a very controlled technique. I used to cast my own wax bullets when I was 15, and would gun-sling those bad boys in the back yard propelled my just the caps. I’d have soda cans and empty milk cartons to shoot at. Started out slow, smooth and built the "feel" of it, and increased the pace only as fast as my accuracy would allow. The little pop never alarmed anyone and no one seemed to care, so I had hours of fun. When shooting lead balls with powder (not in the back yard of course), It all translated over very nicely, and I became extremely accurate at medium close ranges where most gunfights would occur. Well, now I’m 30 years older, some newer/modern guns, some army training, and a good hand injury later… I’m not as fast or as practiced as my youthful self, but I can hold my own in technique and accuracy with just about anything that slings lead regardless of shape or size or mechanical function. The ultimate answer is to simply build good controlled technique that incorporates a swift controlled movements with a touch of patience… for most that means “slow down” – Because slow is smooth, and smooth is fast... aiming can play a big role in there too.
;)

Last edited: