• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SCOTUS & Navarette v. California: Applications to Gun control?

Repeater

This seems potentially serious. From Orin Kerr:

A First Look at Navarette v. California: Are Stops Governed by the Rules of Terry or By Case-by-Case Reasonableness?
On January 21st, the Supreme Court will hear argument in Navarette v. California, a Fourth Amendment case on whether an officer who receives an anonymous tip regarding drunk driving must corroborate the dangerous driving before stopping the car.

The California brief takes a different approach. Instead of just asking when “reasonable suspicion” exists, California asks the Court engage in interest balancing on a case-by-case basis. In California’s view, the reasonableness of a stop isn’t based on whether Terry‘s reasonable suspicion standard has been satisfied in the abstract. Instead, California sees Terry as merely one application of reasonableness balancing, and it asks the Court to engage in interest balancing afresh by considering the nature of the crime to be investigated when assessing whether the stop was reasonable. The basic idea is that drunk driving is so serious a problem that stopping a car for suspected drunk driving requires less cause than would a stop for a less serious offense. The more serious the crime, the less suspicion is needed.

It would be very easy for gun-hating courts and states to assert 'gun violence' is so serious that less suspicion is needed. That mentality would threaten all who carry. Anonymous tipsters often lie, or are simply wrong. MWAG tips, without clear Fourth Amendment protections, could be quite dangerous.

eye95

I wouldn't worry about the opposing argument. The Court will have to do an about-face to buy off on that argument. If they do that (I don't expect they will), that is what you should worry about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

OC for ME

<snip> It would be very easy for gun-hating courts and states to assert 'gun violence' is so serious that less suspicion is needed. That mentality would threaten all who carry. Anonymous tipsters often lie, or are simply wrong. MWAG tips, without clear Fourth Amendment protections, could be quite dangerous.
In some cases, and jurisdictions they are quite dangerous. It is very dangerous because cops always give the benefit of the doubt to the "anonymous" MWAG caller.

Cops: "We got a call and need to make sure you ain't a felon or that your gun ain't stolen." "You understand, we are just doing our job." "Hey, Jack, I fully support the 2A, I'm a member of the NRA." "Nothing personal, we just gotta be sure, for the children, ya can't be too careful now, can you?"

countryclubjoe

Hi Folks

Read this Supreme Court decision regarding anonymous tips..

FLORIDA V J.L.
529,U.S. 266, 129. S.CT.1375, 146 L.Ed 254 (2000)

Justice Ginsburg delivered the opinion of the Court..

" The question presented in this case is whether an anonymous tip that a person is carrying a gun is, without more, sufficient to justify a police officer's stop and frisk of that person..
WE HOLD THAT IT IS NOT...

Best regards.

CCJ

eye95

To extrapolate to probable future rulings: An anonymous tip is not enough alone to develop RAS. The officer, himself, needs to add a fact or facts, by his observation, in addition to the tip to develop RAS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>