Thread: Schroedinger's Cat out of its box! NSA seeks to build quantum computer that could ...

Schroedinger's Cat out of its box! NSA seeks to build quantum computer that could ...

"A working quantum computer would open the door to easily breaking the strongest encryption tools in use today, including a standard known as RSA, named for the initials of its creators. RSA scrambles communications, making them unreadable to anyone but the intended recipient, without requiring the use of a shared password. It is commonly used in Web browsers to secure financial transactions and in encrypted e-mails. RSA is used because of the difficulty of factoring the product of two large prime numbers. Breaking the encryption involves finding those two numbers. This cannot be done in a reasonable amount of time on a classical computer.

In 2009, computer scientists using classical methods were able to discover the primes within a 768-bit number, but it took almost two years and hundreds of computers to factor it. The scientists estimated that it would take 1,000 times longer to break a 1,024-bit encryption key, which is commonly used for online transactions.

A large-scale quantum computer, however, could theoretically break a 1,024-bit encryption much faster. Some leading Internet companies are moving to 2,048-bit keys, but even those are thought to be vulnerable to rapid decryption with a quantum computer."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...df2_print.html
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    So, once they accomplish building this computer will the thing be able to find my misplaced car keys???????

Read Piers Anthony's 1969 Macroscope, a.k.a., the Super Dooper Pooper Scooper that detects macrons from across all time and space (sounds just like neutrinos). Broad details in neutrino flux are being seen at the ICECUBE neutrino detector project.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-02-2014 at 07:34 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVdg_1g5ukM

Here's my password I use alot ^^^

good luck interweb !

You mean this one?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dataentry.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	11072

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    So a quantum computer on the Firefox server should be able to search and find the desired data virtually instantly, rather than having to wait .0537 seconds + what an improvement such would make when locating something on OCDO.

I might even be put out of the anti-spam/spammer detection business - that would break my heart, but allow more time for other things
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    You mean this one?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dataentry.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	11072
    Now I changed it to the same one on my luggage.....never guess that one