Thread: Crowley/Lafayette area

Crowley/Lafayette area

I was offered a major promotion at work today that requires me to move to your wonderful state. If I take it, I'd be working in Crowley and living in the Lafayette/Crowley area. What can you guys and gals tell me about the ins and outs of the area? The info I found on citydata.com isn't very comforting but I also know there's alot you can't find on the internet. I'm looking for the things only the locals know. Also, I know LA is mostly OC friendly but if someone could give me the short version of the laws regarding that I would be most grateful. Also, if I take it, I'll need some new friends for me and the family. Anyone wanna be my friend? Lol

Welcome to the area! Check out our main site for info about Carry laws in Louisiana here: http://laopencarry.org
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Thanx for the link it was helpful. Can anyone tell me about the housing, entertainment, schools and other things a guy needs to know before moving out that way? If at all possible, I'd like to find a place that's sort of in BFE. Can those be found for a reasonable price? Are there places like that for rent often or am I most likely gonna have to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by mustangkiller View Post
    Thanx for the link it was helpful. Can anyone tell me about the housing, entertainment, schools and other things a guy needs to know before moving out that way? If at all possible, I'd like to find a place that's sort of in BFE. Can those be found for a reasonable price? Are there places like that for rent often or am I most likely gonna have to buy?
    I'd say to stay away from Crowley, especially the west side. Crowley's crime rate is astonishingly high. Anything north and south is going to be open country, so you should be good. Try to buy or rent above i-10, in case of a hurricane. any of the small towns around there are high in drug related crime, though.

Crowley has the rice festival, Lafayette has several more, festival international, festival Acadian, annually.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangkiller View Post
    Get ready to purchase Bunny bread at the grocery store and 'A-bear' is how they pronounce Herbert....
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Get ready to purchase Bunny bread at the grocery store and 'A-bear' is how they pronounce Herbert....
    No, Hebert = "a-bear". It took us 5 years to get our name right in the phone book when we moved to Lafayette in 1960. They kept spelling "Mercer" the French "Mercier"! Lafayette was a good place to grow up for me. We lived on Westchester Drive on the West side of town not far from Lafayette High.
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

Quote Originally Posted by HeroHog View Post
    It took us 5 years to get our name right in the phone book when we moved to Lafayette in 1960. They kept spelling "Mercer" the French "Mercier"!
    Did you tell them it was just like "Roy Dam Mercer"?

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Did you tell them it was just like "Roy Dam Mercer"?
    This was Pre Roy D I'm afraid. People always ask me if we are related and I tell them Roy is a fictitious character while I am real and WILL put a knot on yer head ya can hitch a trailer to!
    Last edited by HeroHog; 01-24-2014 at 07:04 PM.