• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crowley/Lafayette area

mustangkiller

I was offered a major promotion at work today that requires me to move to your wonderful state. If I take it, I'd be working in Crowley and living in the Lafayette/Crowley area. What can you guys and gals tell me about the ins and outs of the area? The info I found on citydata.com isn't very comforting but I also know there's alot you can't find on the internet. I'm looking for the things only the locals know. Also, I know LA is mostly OC friendly but if someone could give me the short version of the laws regarding that I would be most grateful. Also, if I take it, I'll need some new friends for me and the family. Anyone wanna be my friend? Lol

mustangkiller

Thanx for the link it was helpful. Can anyone tell me about the housing, entertainment, schools and other things a guy needs to know before moving out that way? If at all possible, I'd like to find a place that's sort of in BFE. Can those be found for a reasonable price? Are there places like that for rent often or am I most likely gonna have to buy?

talkinggoat

Thanx for the link it was helpful. Can anyone tell me about the housing, entertainment, schools and other things a guy needs to know before moving out that way? If at all possible, I'd like to find a place that's sort of in BFE. Can those be found for a reasonable price? Are there places like that for rent often or am I most likely gonna have to buy?

I'd say to stay away from Crowley, especially the west side. Crowley's crime rate is astonishingly high. Anything north and south is going to be open country, so you should be good. Try to buy or rent above i-10, in case of a hurricane. any of the small towns around there are high in drug related crime, though.

Crowley has the rice festival, Lafayette has several more, festival international, festival Acadian, annually.

HPmatt

Get ready to purchase Bunny bread at the grocery store and 'A-bear' is how they pronounce Herbert....

HeroHog

Get ready to purchase Bunny bread at the grocery store and 'A-bear' is how they pronounce Herbert....

No, Hebert = "a-bear". It took us 5 years to get our name right in the phone book when we moved to Lafayette in 1960. They kept spelling "Mercer" the French "Mercier"! Lafayette was a good place to grow up for me. We lived on Westchester Drive on the West side of town not far from Lafayette High.

HeroHog

Did you tell them it was just like "Roy Dam Mercer"?

This was Pre Roy D I'm afraid. People always ask me if we are related and I tell them Roy is a fictitious character while I am real and WILL put a knot on yer head ya can hitch a trailer to! :banana:

Last edited: