Thread: Can I OC in TN with a NC CHP Permit?

Can I OC in TN with a NC CHP Permit?

As the title suggests, I love acronyms.

*crickets*

Anyways, I live in Asheville, NC, have a valid NC concealed handgun permit, and make frequent trips to TN, especially the Johnson City area. I have always concealed when carrying up there because a friend of mine said it was concealed carry only. So am I able to open carry when in TN?

Yes. AG cite coming... (Since you love acronyms.)

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.
    Open means open...

Here is the full TN AG opinion for OC with a permit: http://www.tn.gov/attorneygeneral/op/2005/op/op154.pdf

handgunlaw.us is also a great source for which states recognize your permit, etc. TN recognizes all other states' permits.

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.
    Open means open...

Be sure to set your friend straight!

Open means open...

Permit only

Your friend may have confused this issue with TN is permit only carry, not conceal only carry. You must have a handgun carry permit from any other state if your not a resident of TN. If your a resident (I know your not) then you MUST have your TN HCP.
    Last edited by Ken56; 01-03-2014 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken56 View Post
    Your friend may have confused this issue with TN is permit only carry, not conceal only carry. You must have a handgun carry permit from any other state if your not a resident of TN. If your a resident (I know your not) then you MUST have your TN HCP.
    OK, so I think I understand this now. TN has a Handgun Carry Permit (allowing both open and concealed carry) and NC has a Concealed Handgun Permit (allowing concealed carry, since NC open carry is already legal without permit). Got it. I'll be rockin' the Glock next week in Johnson City, then!

Also

I should add that the default is carry is ILLEGAL in TN WITHOUT A PERMIT. So, if a LEO sees your openly carried firearm he CAN ask to see your permit and DL. Most LEO are informed and cool with it but unlike some other states just carrying is RAS here. TN is not a traditional open carry state where you may not have to show ID and permit. And another thing, GUN BUSTER SIGNS HAVE THE WEIGHT OF LAW HERE. If you go into an establishment that has a gun buster sign you have committed a crime just by walking past it. LOOK REAL GOOD BEFORE ENTERING.

Quote Originally Posted by TDFbound View Post
    OK, so I think I understand this now. TN has a Handgun Carry Permit (allowing both open and concealed carry) and NC has a Concealed Handgun Permit (allowing concealed carry, since NC open carry is already legal without permit). Got it. I'll be rockin' the Glock next week in Johnson City, then!
    Correctamundo!

I should add that the default is carry is ILLEGAL in TN WITHOUT A PERMIT. So, if a LEO sees your openly carried firearm he CAN ask to see your permit and DL. Most LEO are informed and cool with it but unlike some other states just carrying is RAS here. TN is not a traditional open carry state where you may not have to show ID and permit. And another thing, GUN BUSTER SIGNS HAVE THE WEIGHT OF LAW HERE. If you go into an establishment that has a gun buster sign you have committed a crime just by walking past it. LOOK REAL GOOD BEFORE ENTERING.
    He speaks truth here!

Open means open...

Type resiprocity map in Google and click on it. There it will bring up a link. It will take u to a map.. that map has two tabs one tab shows you who's permits you stats honor and the other is what states honors yours.. very helpful.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

stopping without RAS - OC'er, driver

I should add that the default is carry is ILLEGAL in TN WITHOUT A PERMIT. So, if a LEO sees your openly carried firearm he CAN ask to see your permit and DL. Most LEO are informed and cool with it but unlike some other states just carrying is RAS here. TN is not a traditional open carry state where you may not have to show ID and permit.....
    So under that rationale, since driving a motor vehicle in TN is illegal without a Tennessee Driver's License, if an LEO sees you driving a motor vehicle on a TN roadway, he CAN ask to see your DL, without having any other RAS that you have committed, are committing, or are about to commit an offense ?

Well thats TN law, no one said it was logical or rational. We should work to get it changed.

Of course it's already been answered but i am resident of west memphis AR but work and do most of my shopping in memphis. AR is CCW only but i always OC in memphis. TN simply recognizes your permit as an HCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    ...AR is CCW...
    That's actually quite debatable there, my friend.

Open means open...

Quote Originally Posted by docachna View Post
    So under that rationale, since driving a motor vehicle in TN is illegal without a Tennessee Driver's License, if an LEO sees you driving a motor vehicle on a TN roadway, he CAN ask to see your DL, without having any other RAS that you have committed, are committing, or are about to commit an offense ?
    This has been addressed many times..... here is the difference.

There isn't a law that says it is illegal to drive. Then a separate law that makes an exception saying you may drive if you have a Drivers License.

But there is a law that says it is illegal to posses a weapon with the intent to go armed in TN. Then there is a separate law that makes some defenses/exceptions. One of those being a HCP.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    This has been addressed many times..... here is the difference.

There isn't a law that says it is illegal to drive. Then a separate law that makes an exception saying you may drive if you have a Drivers License.

But there is a law that says it is illegal to posses a weapon with the intent to go armed in TN. Then there is a separate law that makes some defenses/exceptions. One of those being a HCP.
    Truth. Unfortunate...but truth.

Open means open...

Quote Originally Posted by independence View Post
    That's actually quite debatable there, my friend.
    Indeed it is. Sadly, until someone gets arrested and a courts decide, we're in limbo. My sheriff said they would arrest an OCer so no OC in AR for me.

The only time I have been asked for my HCP in the Tri-Cites area was while out with a few of our members.
    We met up at the Crazy Tomato, one of my co-workers went as well, he arrived prior to us and got a table.
    He does not carry and chose to have a beer,
    a few officers showed up dispatch had received a call that a group of men with guns were drinking.
    We were asked for our HCP's which they ran, and were subjected to opinions that did not matter.
    They followed the law as did we.
    This does not say that I agree with the law as it is, but at this juncture it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    The only time I have been asked for my HCP in the Tri-Cites area was while out with a few of our members.
    We met up at the Crazy Tomato, one of my co-workers went as well, he arrived prior to us and got a table.
    He does not carry and chose to have a beer,
    a few officers showed up dispatch had received a call that a group of men with guns were drinking.
    We were asked for our HCP's which they ran, and were subjected to opinions that did not matter.
    They followed the law as did we.
    This does not say that I agree with the law as it is, but at this juncture it is what it is.
    I wouldn't have even spoken to them. They had no reason to bother you or see any of your identification. Being in the vicinity of an unarmed man who is drinking a beer does not constitute reasonable articulable suspicion that you have or are in the process of committing a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by TDFbound View Post
    I wouldn't have even spoken to them. They had no reason to bother you or see any of your identification. Being in the vicinity of an unarmed man who is drinking a beer does not constitute reasonable articulable suspicion that you have or are in the process of committing a crime.
    How do you figure this since TN law requires you to show your HCP upon demand of a LEO?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

fallguy is correct. You are required to produce a CCW or HCP upon request of an LEO in TN. Like it, love it or hate it doesnt matter. It's the law and we abide by that.

silly me and trying to master technology...sigh
    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 02-03-2014 at 04:49 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

alas, so must we in NC, per 14-415.11: (a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...ticle_54B.html

of contention to some within NC at times is what actually constitutes 'approached or addressed'...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Bottom line, if a cop asks to see it, show it. Engaging in any conversation with the cop is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Bottom line, if a cop asks to see it, show it. Engaging in any conversation with the cop is not required.
    Agreed