• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I OC in TN with a NC CHP Permit?

TDFbound

As the title suggests, I love acronyms.

*crickets*

Anyways, I live in Asheville, NC, have a valid NC concealed handgun permit, and make frequent trips to TN, especially the Johnson City area. I have always concealed when carrying up there because a friend of mine said it was concealed carry only. So am I able to open carry when in TN?

independence

Yes. AG cite coming... (Since you love acronyms.)

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.

independence

Here is the full TN AG opinion for OC with a permit: http://www.tn.gov/attorneygeneral/op/2005/op/op154.pdf

handgunlaw.us is also a great source for which states recognize your permit, etc. TN recognizes all other states' permits.

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.

independence

Be sure to set your friend straight! ;)

Ken56

Permit only

Your friend may have confused this issue with TN is permit only carry, not conceal only carry. You must have a handgun carry permit from any other state if your not a resident of TN. If your a resident (I know your not) then you MUST have your TN HCP.

Last edited:

TDFbound

Your friend may have confused this issue with TN is permit only carry, not conceal only carry. You must have a handgun carry permit from any other state if your not a resident of TN. If your a resident (I know your not) then you MUST have your TN HCP.

OK, so I think I understand this now. TN has a Handgun Carry Permit (allowing both open and concealed carry) and NC has a Concealed Handgun Permit (allowing concealed carry, since NC open carry is already legal without permit). Got it. I'll be rockin' the Glock next week in Johnson City, then!

Ken56

Also

I should add that the default is carry is ILLEGAL in TN WITHOUT A PERMIT. So, if a LEO sees your openly carried firearm he CAN ask to see your permit and DL. Most LEO are informed and cool with it but unlike some other states just carrying is RAS here. TN is not a traditional open carry state where you may not have to show ID and permit. And another thing, GUN BUSTER SIGNS HAVE THE WEIGHT OF LAW HERE. If you go into an establishment that has a gun buster sign you have committed a crime just by walking past it. LOOK REAL GOOD BEFORE ENTERING.

independence

OK, so I think I understand this now. TN has a Handgun Carry Permit (allowing both open and concealed carry) and NC has a Concealed Handgun Permit (allowing concealed carry, since NC open carry is already legal without permit). Got it. I'll be rockin' the Glock next week in Johnson City, then!

Correctamundo!

I should add that the default is carry is ILLEGAL in TN WITHOUT A PERMIT. So, if a LEO sees your openly carried firearm he CAN ask to see your permit and DL. Most LEO are informed and cool with it but unlike some other states just carrying is RAS here. TN is not a traditional open carry state where you may not have to show ID and permit. And another thing, GUN BUSTER SIGNS HAVE THE WEIGHT OF LAW HERE. If you go into an establishment that has a gun buster sign you have committed a crime just by walking past it. LOOK REAL GOOD BEFORE ENTERING.

He speaks truth here!

cmr287

Type resiprocity map in Google and click on it. There it will bring up a link. It will take u to a map.. that map has two tabs one tab shows you who's permits you stats honor and the other is what states honors yours.. very helpful.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

docachna

stopping without RAS - OC'er, driver

I should add that the default is carry is ILLEGAL in TN WITHOUT A PERMIT. So, if a LEO sees your openly carried firearm he CAN ask to see your permit and DL. Most LEO are informed and cool with it but unlike some other states just carrying is RAS here. TN is not a traditional open carry state where you may not have to show ID and permit.....

So under that rationale, since driving a motor vehicle in TN is illegal without a Tennessee Driver's License, if an LEO sees you driving a motor vehicle on a TN roadway, he CAN ask to see your DL, without having any other RAS that you have committed, are committing, or are about to commit an offense ?

Kopis

Of course it's already been answered but i am resident of west memphis AR but work and do most of my shopping in memphis. AR is CCW only but i always OC in memphis. TN simply recognizes your permit as an HCP.

independence

...AR is CCW...

That's actually quite debatable there, my friend.

Fallguy

So under that rationale, since driving a motor vehicle in TN is illegal without a Tennessee Driver's License, if an LEO sees you driving a motor vehicle on a TN roadway, he CAN ask to see your DL, without having any other RAS that you have committed, are committing, or are about to commit an offense ?

This has been addressed many times..... here is the difference.

There isn't a law that says it is illegal to drive. Then a separate law that makes an exception saying you may drive if you have a Drivers License.

But there is a law that says it is illegal to posses a weapon with the intent to go armed in TN. Then there is a separate law that makes some defenses/exceptions. One of those being a HCP.

independence

This has been addressed many times..... here is the difference.

There isn't a law that says it is illegal to drive. Then a separate law that makes an exception saying you may drive if you have a Drivers License.

But there is a law that says it is illegal to posses a weapon with the intent to go armed in TN. Then there is a separate law that makes some defenses/exceptions. One of those being a HCP.

Truth. Unfortunate...but truth.

pfries

The only time I have been asked for my HCP in the Tri-Cites area was while out with a few of our members.
We met up at the Crazy Tomato, one of my co-workers went as well, he arrived prior to us and got a table.
He does not carry and chose to have a beer,
a few officers showed up dispatch had received a call that a group of men with guns were drinking.
We were asked for our HCP's which they ran, and were subjected to opinions that did not matter.
They followed the law as did we.
This does not say that I agree with the law as it is, but at this juncture it is what it is.

TDFbound

The only time I have been asked for my HCP in the Tri-Cites area was while out with a few of our members.
We met up at the Crazy Tomato, one of my co-workers went as well, he arrived prior to us and got a table.
He does not carry and chose to have a beer,
a few officers showed up dispatch had received a call that a group of men with guns were drinking.
We were asked for our HCP's which they ran, and were subjected to opinions that did not matter.
They followed the law as did we.
This does not say that I agree with the law as it is, but at this juncture it is what it is.

I wouldn't have even spoken to them. They had no reason to bother you or see any of your identification. Being in the vicinity of an unarmed man who is drinking a beer does not constitute reasonable articulable suspicion that you have or are in the process of committing a crime.

Fallguy

I wouldn't have even spoken to them. They had no reason to bother you or see any of your identification. Being in the vicinity of an unarmed man who is drinking a beer does not constitute reasonable articulable suspicion that you have or are in the process of committing a crime.

How do you figure this since TN law requires you to show your HCP upon demand of a LEO?

Kopis

fallguy is correct. You are required to produce a CCW or HCP upon request of an LEO in TN. Like it, love it or hate it doesnt matter. It's the law and we abide by that.