• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Try to hold back your tears... Piece of history turned in at police gun buy

sudden valley gunner

Was it the Connecticut officer or the California ones that were kind enough to inform of the true value?

At the falsely named gun buy back in Seattle, where an impromptu gun trade broke out outside of the event, ( we got some nice pieces of history). John and I walked around the event and noticed some nicer looking rifles were being put in a special barrel and not being piled up with the others.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP At the falsely named gun buy back in Seattle, where an impromptu gun trade broke out outside of the event, ( we got some nice pieces of history). John and I walked around the event and noticed some nicer looking rifles were being put in a special barrel and not being piled up with the others.

:idea:

These disarmament schemes sound like great candidate for a FOIA/Sunshine/Open Records request.

Just let some nice rifle end up logged as "given to chief." What a way for pro-self-defense rights advocates to make hay and suppress these things.

If you think about it, there are lots of angles to this.

Was every weapon logged in?

Was every logged-in weapon then logged as destroyed?

Some were logged as being transfered to police property? Oh? Which statute or city ordinance allows police to buy weapons off standard channels while bypassing standard bidding and review process? Where are the invoices, please. Which ordinance authorized police to pay well below market value for non-standard police weapons without informing the seller of the true value of the weapon?

The police cannot account for every weapon because of record-keeping mistakes? Oh? With something as dangerous as guns that had to be taken off the street!?

Heh, heh, heh.

The more I think about this, the more FOIA looks like an almost no-lose way to shut down these disarmament schemes. It certainly ought to discourage a good number of them.

stealthyeliminator

Because they would never pass the BR check?

:lol: zing!

Also, good idea Citizen.

I've decided to stop calling them "buy-backs." I'm not sure how they got that name anyway. I didn't by my gun from the local PD, and if I sold it to them they wouldn't be buying anything "back."

I also really like the idea of "counter-buys" where groups set up across the streets or whatever and buy guns for better reasons. OCT held one to counter that of a church in Dallas (I believe it was Dallas). The church was going to destroy them all. As it turned out, almost nobody came out to sell. I think that OCT picked up a couple, or at least one, and the church got a few as well. Overall OCT couldn't help but call it a success because, well, not many people were selling their firearms. :D Of course, what was really funny was to read about the huge success of the church in the paper, touting that some ridiculously large number of firearms had been collected. Never mind that the number was actually for several years worth of buys, strategically written as to give the impression that the huge number was collected at that single event. :rolleyes:

Honestly though, if someone wants to sell their guns, or even have them destroyed... hey, it's theirs to do what they will with. What really grinds my gears is when they get all high and mighty about it, as if they're doing some great moral thing. Especially when it's a church doing the buying (when they're going to do something like destroy the weapons), or a church member doing the selling. I just want to walk up to them and ask, selling a sword to buy a coat, ehhhhh? And raise one eyebrow up real high, see if they catch the reference.