• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia - Worst State to be a Burglar

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Interesting article - not exactly OC, but does discuss rise in firearm purchases and 5 year trend in gun sales. Also general discussion on analysis of castle doctrine and stand-your-ground rankings of all 50 states.

Who new you could get life in prison for burglary in VA, and a $100,000 fine to boot!:uhoh:

http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article...e-to-be-a-burglar-x2019&template=fairfaxTimes

The study states that the average burglary rate for Virginians is 361 per 100,000 residents, the lowest for all 50 states and DC,compared to the national average of 667 per 100,000.

In Fairfax County, where there were 1,063 burglaries in 2012, that average drops to 95 per 1000,000 residents, according to Fairfax County Police statistics for 2012.

FBrinson

Interesting. My home has been burglarized three times since I moved back to Virginia. Once in South Norfolk in 86. Once in Richmond in 93. Once in Glen Allen in 2012. With those odds, I should start playing Lottery.\

I wonder if they counted my home once or three times.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Interesting. My home has been burglarized three times since I moved back to Virginia. Once in South Norfolk in 86. Once in Richmond in 93. Once in Glen Allen in 2012. With those odds, I should start playing Lottery.
--snip--

That might indicate the you have 3X the odds of similarly losing.

May I sugggest 12' perimeter, wire topped fencing and sallyport gates front and rear.

More to the point, was any of your property ever recovered?

va_tazdad

Or you could always

May I sugggest 12' perimeter, wire topped fencing and sallyport gates front and rear.

Listen to NObama's Security Expert, Idiot Joe Biden, and buy a shotgun to protect your home.

FBrinson

1st time I lost all my home stereo equipment, a drum set, and a TV. Recovered nothing.
2nd time I lost my satellite receiver, VCR, camera, and one of those brick style cell phones. Recovered nothing.
3rd time I lost around 10 grand of photography equipment, 7 firearms, 46 inch tv, Laptop, my wifes jewelry, 5 string bass guitar, acoustic guitar, recording studio equipment, and other odds and ends. Recovered 3 firearms, the jewelry, the music equipment, TV, and laptop. All the cameras and lenses and such, gone forever. Found out my neighbor two houses down did it, him and two of his friends were found guilty of B/E and grand larceny. They got 10 yrs suspended, never served a day. They were ordered to pay restitution which only one guy was paying (he stopped after about $500). They were ordered to pay me 3,400 each.
(the police did not find anything, nor did they even attempt to in any of the three burglaries. Learning from this, after the third burglary, my wife and I spent two days searching pawn shops, browsing craigslist, etc and found everything but the camera equipment and some oddball items.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
The study states that the average burglary rate for Virginians is 361 per 100,000 residents, the lowest for all 50 states and DC,compared to the national average of 667 per 100,000.

In Fairfax County, where there were 1,063 burglaries in 2012, that average drops to 95 per 1000,000 residents, according to Fairfax County Police statistics for 2012.

You wrote 95 per 1 million for Fairfax. Is that what you meant to say?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
1st time I lost all my home stereo equipment, a drum set, and a TV. Recovered nothing.
2nd time I lost my satellite receiver, VCR, camera, and one of those brick style cell phones. Recovered nothing.
3rd time I lost around 10 grand of photography equipment, 7 firearms, 46 inch tv, Laptop, my wifes jewelry, 5 string bass guitar, acoustic guitar, recording studio equipment, and other odds and ends. Recovered 3 firearms, the jewelry, the music equipment, TV, and laptop. All the cameras and lenses and such, gone forever. Found out my neighbor two houses down did it, him and two of his friends were found guilty of B/E and grand larceny. They got 10 yrs suspended, never served a day. They were ordered to pay restitution which only one guy was paying (he stopped after about $500). They were ordered to pay me 3,400 each.
(the police did not find anything, nor did they even attempt to in any of the three burglaries. Learning from this, after the third burglary, my wife and I spent two days searching pawn shops, browsing craigslist, etc and found everything but the camera equipment and some oddball items.

So is your neighbor still alive or in some remote swamp feeding the bugs, larvae, and other swamp critters?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't believe the article. Like FB said, it goes on all the time. Governors Antiques had a large percentage of it's inventory from buying stolen antiques and this went on for years and was well known. He was finally charged and convicted. Didn't serve much time either.

My father in law had his houses (2 locations) burglarized a dozen times.

I call BS on the story.

Last edited:

TFred

I don't believe the article. Like FB said, it goes on all the time. Governors Antiques had a large percentage of it's inventory from buying stolen antiques and this went on for years and was well known. He was finally charged and convicted. Didn't serve much time either.

My father in law had his houses (2 locations) burglarized a dozen times.

I call BS on the story.
See, now that's strange. I had someone come into my apartment - goodness, it's been almost 30 years now, and I suspect either a former tenant or a management job (someone with a key) - but they didn't take anything. Other than that, I honestly can't recall hearing of a burglary victim among any of the people I know personally in my own circle. Ever. Oh, one, the lady next door to me said that her house was broken into - again, 25 years ago - during the time that the neighborhood was under construction. She happened to be one of the first to move into a townhouse complex.

Maybe people just don't talk about it?

TFred

TFred

You wrote 95 per 1 million for Fairfax. Is that what you meant to say?

That is what the article alleges - seems waaay too low.
I'm sure this was just a typo on the website. Numbers like this are typically (and throughout the rest of this article) cited in terms of "per 100,000." Someone just fat-fingered an extra "0". If they had intended it to be a million, they would have added the second comma as well.

TFred

Maverick9

3rd time I lost around 10 grand of photography equipment, 7 firearms, 46 inch tv, Laptop, my wifes jewelry, 5 string bass guitar, acoustic guitar, recording studio equipment, and other odds and ends. Recovered 3 firearms, the jewelry, the music equipment, TV, and laptop. All the cameras and lenses and such, gone forever. Found out my neighbor two houses down did it, him and two of his friends were found guilty of B/E and grand larceny. They got 10 yrs suspended, never served a day.

How'd you find out. Glad you got most of it back. Sorry he didn't get time. Guess crime does pay.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
repeat after me, "dogs are a good thing"

Yeah,,,I guess. Zeus is always on high alert:lol:

_1010193_zpsf7ba3e37.jpg