Thread: New to the site - hello!

New to the site - hello!

So I've seen this site and referred to it every now and again for some things so I decided to finally register. You all seem like a fun and informative bunch. I'll start with a little introduction:

My name is Doug. I'm 23 years old, been carrying regularly for a couple months now. I love open carrying my Gen 4 Glock 22. I did five years in the US Navy as a Master-at-arms. I did 3 years overseas in Italy followed by a year and a half in Washington. I was honorably discharged earlier this year. I open carry with my beautiful wife who just very recently received her first firearm.

I'd like to open carry with some friends, but my social life is quite lacking. I'm hoping there are people here who wouldn't mind doing something while OC'ing. I've yet to see a single person carry here in Vegas. Oh, I live in North (east) Las Vegas. In fact, most of the time you'd think that OC'ing is quite frowned upon by the reactions I get.

Anyway, nice to meet all of you! I look forward to my stay here.

Banned
    Italy? Now that's tough duty huh lol. I imagine you enjoyed it there ...

Welcome to the site.

Italy was a blast. It was nasty southern Italy, but still fun. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome.

TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

Be sure to pay attention to the events section. There are a couple new guys that want to meet up soon. Im thinking tuesday

And welcome!

Welcome to the site. Thanks for your service.
    Our Las Vegas group use to be fairly active with meet ups, lunches and an occasional picnic. Just information to new or newer, no rules anyone can plan a neet up.. Just need a date time and place.

Thanks for the warm welcome! If it's open invite, the wife and I would like to attend on Tuesday. thanks all for the warm induction!

Yup, open invite to whoever wants to show up

What? You carry a Glock? ROCK OUT WITH YOUR GLOCK OUT MY FELLOW GLOCKER!!! And welcome to the forum! Please, I invite you to be active here and DO NOT be afraid to ask questions. Your input is also welcome!

Also, 28kfps is right. OC events were far more common and it's my hope that we can make that possible again! BBQs and picnics are a GREAT way to fellowship with those of similar interests. Perhaps, when you and your lovely bride are comfortable, you may decide to sponsor an OC event (like an invite to other noobs and veterans to BBQs, picnics, or even a simple get together at a local eatery).

Just a friendly reminder, it's best to read up on the gun laws before one ventures out to OC. Although it is becoming more commonplace, there are those who feel it necessary to "challenge" your right. Simply saying that you read it here on this forum (or some other webpage) is not enough. There is a thread called, Sticky: Nevada (Open) Carry Pamphlet. Here, you will find a pamphlet that you can print and carry on your person (wallet, pocket, or purse) that you can refer to IF you are challenged. Also, you can review the following sites:

http://armsinfo.com/nevada/firearm.htm
    http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/nevada.aspx

And please, it would be SO nice if we had women carry as well. Perhaps your wife might be interested in OCing? *Hint, hint*

Once again, welcome to the forum! Hope to see you at the OC event sponsored by Vegaspassat, and remember to convince others to "Join the Glock side" LOL!

Welcome welcome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    IT is better to have a gun on you and NOT need it, than to need a gun and NOT have it on you...

Quote Originally Posted by SharpShootur View Post
    What? You carry a Glock? ROCK OUT WITH YOUR GLOCK OUT MY FELLOW GLOCKER!!! And welcome to the forum! Please, I invite you to be active here and DO NOT be afraid to ask questions. Your input is also welcome!

Also, 28kfps is right. OC events were far more common and it's my hope that we can make that possible again! BBQs and picnics are a GREAT way to fellowship with those of similar interests. Perhaps, when you and your lovely bride are comfortable, you may decide to sponsor an OC event (like an invite to other noobs and veterans to BBQs, picnics, or even a simple get together at a local eatery).

Just a friendly reminder, it's best to read up on the gun laws before one ventures out to OC. Although it is becoming more commonplace, there are those who feel it necessary to "challenge" your right. Simply saying that you read it here on this forum (or some other webpage) is not enough. There is a thread called, Sticky: Nevada (Open) Carry Pamphlet. Here, you will find a pamphlet that you can print and carry on your person (wallet, pocket, or purse) that you can refer to IF you are challenged. Also, you can review the following sites:

http://armsinfo.com/nevada/firearm.htm
    http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/nevada.aspx

And please, it would be SO nice if we had women carry as well. Perhaps your wife might be interested in OCing? *Hint, hint*

Once again, welcome to the forum! Hope to see you at the OC event sponsored by Vegaspassat, and remember to convince others to "Join the Glock side" LOL!
    I love my Glock! :P I lived here in Vegas before I enlisted, and I've done (what I like to think) extensive research on the OC laws here in my area. I feel pretty comfortable and I've definitely already had a few challenge me (with no problems thereafter). It doesn't hurt that my mother is well-versed in Nevada law!

I should have rephrased my paragraph above; my wife does carry with me, and she enjoys it. It makes me feel a lot safer knowing she's armed. I just need to get her some more trigger time. I am planning on being at the OC event, provided my interview for North Las Vegas PD doesn't take too long. We will BOTH be carrying :P

I can already tell this is a good community, I'm glad I decided to sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by DDumont View Post
    I love my Glock! :P I lived here in Vegas before I enlisted, and I've done (what I like to think) extensive research on the OC laws here in my area. I feel pretty comfortable and I've definitely already had a few challenge me (with no problems thereafter). It doesn't hurt that my mother is well-versed in Nevada law!

I should have rephrased my paragraph above; my wife does carry with me, and she enjoys it. It makes me feel a lot safer knowing she's armed. I just need to get her some more trigger time. I am planning on being at the OC event, provided my interview for North Las Vegas PD doesn't take too long. We will BOTH be carrying :P

I can already tell this is a good community, I'm glad I decided to sign up.
    If your wife is looking for some trigger time, I may have a answer. My wife and I shoot at Discount firearms. She noticed last week they have a ladies only night once a month. She and a friend will be going to the next one which I think is Feb.

I'll definitely ask her! Thank you for the invitation.

Welcome! I'm back in town for a bit so will catch up on where the latest goings-on are!
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Thanks Mac! A few of us just had a nice lunch the other day, it was nice meeting the members here.

Welcome! Awesome idea, OCing together! This forum is pretty cool but you just have to keep a thick skin. Nearly everyone is highly opinionated, lol. More so than other firearms sites, in my opinion. If someone demands that you provide an exact citation of the law or the source for a statistic, don't be offended. It's sort of the OCDO way. We don't like misinformation. Glad to hear that you've done so much research on your own! Isn't it amazing how stupid firearms laws are? Emotionally based and out of touch with reality -- not to mention infringement galore. Hope you have fun here and stay safe!

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.
    Last edited by independence; 01-09-2014 at 01:43 AM.
    Open means open...

Quote Originally Posted by DDumont View Post
    Thanks Mac! A few of us just had a nice lunch the other day, it was nice meeting the members here.

"Do you have your permits?" Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    IT is better to have a gun on you and NOT need it, than to need a gun and NOT have it on you...

I always seem to miss the fun ones! Not that I've not had fun at the normal ones...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

LOL! Yeah, Doofster, I'm glad that person at the Denny's reminded us to have our "permits."

Quote Originally Posted by SharpShootur View Post
    LOL! Yeah, Doofster, I'm glad that person at the Denny's reminded us to have our "permits."
    OOOO explain. You cant just leave us hanging like this.

I was the one that said we "all had our permits" They had no intention of kicking us out, they were only seeking validation.

Reno carriers?

I'm also new to the site but live in reno. Do any of you folks hail from the northern side of Nevada?

I do. Fallon.
    Hoka hey

Ddumont, I would definetly like to meet up as I'm in the same situation as you, I don't have many friends here but would definetly like to have some, especially ones who open carry ! Haha

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk