Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPW: "Letís stop dangerous celebratory gunfire"

MPW: "Letís stop dangerous celebratory gunfire"

Michael Paul Williams provides free advertising to Henry Marsh; don't know how this could be enforced:

Letís stop dangerous celebratory gunfire
    Itís time to call a cease-fire to the celebratory gunshots, which have become a New Yearís Eve ritual as reckless as drunken driving.

A Chesterfield County home was apparently hit late Tuesday night by a stray bullet that struck the exterior of a childís bedroom but did not enter the house, police said.

That incident was a sad reminder of the Fourth of July death of 7-year-old Brendon Mackey, of Chesterfield, who was killed by a stray bullet while waiting to see a fireworks show on Swift Creek Reservoir in Brandermill. The case remains unsolved.

As it is, the applicable charge for celebratory gunfire is reckless handling of a firearm, a Class 1 misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail, Shand said.

State Sen. Henry L. Marsh III wants to up the ante, even for celebratory gunfire that doesnít find a target.

Marsh, a Richmond Democrat, and Del. Joseph D. Morrissey, D-Henrico, have submitted legislation that would increase penalties for celebratory gunfire. The so-called ďBrendonís LawĒ would make the willful discharge of a firearm with no discernable target within a city or town limits, or within 2 miles of an occupied building, punishable by five to 40 years in prison if the bullet kills someone.

Such gunfire resulting in injury but not death would be a Class 3 felony (five to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $100,000); such conduct that results in no bodily injury would be a Class 6 felony (up to five years incarceration and a maximum fine of $2,500).

ďIím asking them to increase the punishment so it would be a deterrent to people who donít think about it,Ē Marsh said Thursday. ďThey really donít focus on the fact that if you shoot a bullet in the air, itís going to come back down.Ē

The legislation provides an opportunity to educate the public and save lives, he said. ďIt happens in the rural areas, it happens in inner cities, it happens regardless of the race of the shooter or the victim. Itís a universal problem.Ē

ďI donít think the gun lobby should oppose this,Ē Marsh said. ďThis is not about people having guns. Itís about shooting guns in situations where injury or death can occur Ö Most people follow the law. If we can change the law, we can change the conduct. If we can save one childís life, itíll be worth the effort.Ē

But Marsh can expect opposition from the Virginia Citizens Defense League, a gun-rights lobby.

Its president, Philip Van Cleave, called the bill ďtoo vague and loaded with felonies,Ē and said itís directed at people who would be charged with other offenses. ďWe just donít find that itís a very good bill, or even if itís necessary.Ē

As for the idea that the legislation will educate people to the risks of such behavior, he said: ďIf the state wants to do that, run some commercials every now and then. If you really want to educate people, just changing the law wonít educate people.Ē

Still, the VCDL strongly discourages anybody from doing celebratory shooting in the air with rifles and handguns. The bullets in those firearms can travel a considerable distance, and have a weight and mass that create dangerous force upon descent. ďRifles and guns are not really designed to be fired up in the air,Ē Van Cleave said.

Shotguns, on the other hand, are intended for bird hunting, and use relatively lightweight pellets that disperse and lose energy quickly, he said.

Interesting, the PC police are hard at work. I saw an article a few days ago which noted that this is a tradition commonly observed in Latin culture... and increasing here as that culture increases here... the article has since been deleted.

TFred

On information and belief, that was the result of a drive-by shooting.

It is not possible to prove the source of a random bullet without further evidence - a match between bullet and barrel, e.g. The chances of a truly random air-shot hitting a man sized target are on the order of 1:10^7 - the ratio of the surface area of a semi-sphere of radius range to the surface area of the target.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    On information and belief, that was the result of a drive-by shooting.

It is not possible to prove the source of a random bullet without further evidence - a match between bullet and barrel, e.g. The chances of a truly random air-shot hitting a man sized target are on the order of 1:10^7 - the ratio of the surface area of a semi-sphere of radius range to the surface area of the target.
    I believe that they did conclude just that in the July 4th shooting, due to the angle of the wound path, etc. Been a while since I read it, so it's a little fuzzy.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Interesting, the PC police are hard at work. I saw an article a few days ago which noted that this is a tradition commonly observed in Latin culture... and increasing here as that culture increases here... the article has since been deleted.

TFred
    PWC is now 50+% Latino and EVERY holiday except Christmas I hear guns shots outside in my neighborhood. Not safe to stand outside...
    "Just because I'm paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me"
    NRA Lifetime Member

Not just Latinos. Not many Latinos in the hood along Shell Road and the LaSalle Ave and Victoria Blvd intersection in Hampton. For the last 15 years it's sounded like a war zone on the 4th of July and New Years. Not to forget the non-celebratory gunfire any other time between 12 am and 6 am any other day of the year.

I'm getting sick and fed up with it! I can't see making an accidental discharge a felony, but I see nothing wrong with making a willful discharge one.
    Last edited by mobeewan; 01-04-2014 at 04:18 PM.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Banned
    I think a celebration is in order...

More laws to make illegal actions more illegal

Whatever happened to reckless endangerment and criminal negligence?

Yes, just what need: Another damn law to make something more illegal.

Founder's Club Member
    I love the little weasel quote at the end that makes it seem like Philip implied firing a shotgun into the air isn't dangerous. Make it look like he might not be opposed to celebratory shotgunning.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I love the little weasel quote at the end that makes it seem like Philip implied firing a shotgun into the air isn't dangerous. Make it look like he might not be opposed to celebratory shotgunning.
    Nah, Philip has just been listening to Shotgun Joe.

Ask Marsh if he really believes that those that follow Biden's advice should be turned into felons.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableĖand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come ÖÖÖÖ. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post

Ask Marsh if he really believes that those that follow Biden's advice should be turned into felons.
    Don't see why. Elmer Fudd was never pwosecuted for firing his shotgun at that pesky wabbit. What's that you say? That's where Joe got the idea? Hmmm.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post

Would these be those that followed Biden's advice and COMMITTED felonies or just those that followed some stupid lawyer politician with bad advice?
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    SNIP Elmer Fudd was never pwosecuted for firing his shotgun at that pesky wabbit.

Wiley Coyote was prolly the prosecutor at the time.

Which reminds me. Yosemite Sam was never prosecuted for those times he emptied the cylinders, neither.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

In 1997 I spent new years with my grandparents in Mesa, AZ. About 10 seconds after the ball dropped, the ceiling fan exploded in a shower of broken lightbulb glass and fell on the coffee table. "That was probably a .45" said grandpa.

Right

“I’m asking them to increase the punishment so it would be a deterrent to people who don’t think about it,” Marsh said Thursday.

I am sure it will be as effective as ther Death Penalty is to stop murders. This is just another feel good law by idiot politicians that will accomplish NOTHING !!!!!

The only time the Death Penalty is effective is when they execute a convicted murderer. It does not stop them from the original act, but it does keep them from ever doing it again.

But then, look at the 2 fools proposing the bill.
    Last edited by va_tazdad; 01-05-2014 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Michael Paul Williams provides free advertising to Henry Marsh; don't know how this could be enforced:

Letís stop dangerous celebratory gunfire
    Why do they not just fire blanks. They do make them for many different calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by thnycav View Post
    Why do they not just fire blanks. They do make them for many different calibers.
    Because that would take forethought and the ability and desire to act responsibly.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Why is this a 'Black' issue?

Any insight?

Va. bill seeks to criminalize celebratory gunfire
    The Legislative Black Caucus this morning outlined its legislative priorities for the General Assembly session starting today, including support for a bill criminalizing celebratory gunfire.

ďBrendonís LawĒ would make it a felony to shoot a firearm without a ďdiscernible of designated targetĒ within any Virginia city or town or within two miles of an occupied building. It is named for Brendon Mackey, a 7-year-old Chesterfield County boy who died July 5 after being struck in the head with a bullet fired into the air, said the billís patron, Sen. Henry Marsh, a Chesterfield Democrat.

Violating the law would be a Class 6 felony, punishable by one to five years in prison. Celebratory gunfire that results in a death would be punishable by five to 40 years behind bars.

ďShooting a gun has consequences,Ē Marsh said during the press conference at the Capitol. ďWhen you shoot up, the bullet is eventually going to come down.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Why is this a 'Black' issue?

Any insight?

Va. bill seeks to criminalize celebratory gunfire

The Legislative Black Caucus this morning outlined its legislative priorities for the General Assembly session starting today, including support for a bill criminalizing celebratory gunfire.
    I would suggest that your question is invalid.

I don't follow any inference whatsoever from "The Legislative Black Caucus this morning outlined its legislative priorities for the General Assembly session starting today, including support for a bill criminalizing celebratory gunfire" to this being "a black issue."

Of course, my point being that "The Legislative Black Caucus" is a political organization which has little, if anything, to do with promoting issues that actually help improve the lives of those they claim to represent.

It's not a "black" issue. It's a "Legislative Black Caucus" issue.

TFred

Banned
    nanny state

Looks like i made a friend...

Sent using Tapatalk 2.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    Looks like i made a friend...

Sent using Tapatalk 2.
    YOU are not allowed to speak (write, whatever!):

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    YOU are not allowed to speak (write, whatever!):
    Lets be best friends

Sent using Tapatalk 2.

This is another of those issues that can be easily dealt with using existing laws and ordinances. No need to add on more.

RTD ED: "Tougher rules needed on celebratory gunfire"

Look, isn't Manslaughter "tougher" -- what else can we do?

Tougher rules needed on celebratory gunfire

Last summer Bryan and Brendon Mackey ó father and son ó walked toward Swift Creek Reservoir to enjoy a Fourth of July fireworks show. Joy turned to grief when a bullet fell from the sky and struck Brendon in the head. The 7-year-old died.

Death apparently came from a gun fired in celebration of Independence Day. The police diligently have sought the shooter but have been unable to charge anyone.

State Sen. Henry Marsh reacted to the heartbreak by introducing legislation to toughen penalties against celebratory gunfire. The Times-Dispatchís Jim Nolan reports that Marshís bill would make a death resulting from such gunfire a Class 5 felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison, the same as manslaughter. It would make injury resulting from celebratory gunfire a Class 6 felony punishable by up to five years imprisonment. A conviction for the firing of a gun in a celebration that does not cause harm would be a Class 1 misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail.

We support Marshís proposal without reservation and are pleased a Senate committee has endorsed it.

The person responsible for the crime knows what he did. How does he live with himself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast