• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MPW: "Let’s stop dangerous celebratory gunfire"

Repeater

Michael Paul Williams provides free advertising to Henry Marsh; don't know how this could be enforced:

Let’s stop dangerous celebratory gunfire
It’s time to call a cease-fire to the celebratory gunshots, which have become a New Year’s Eve ritual as reckless as drunken driving.

A Chesterfield County home was apparently hit late Tuesday night by a stray bullet that struck the exterior of a child’s bedroom but did not enter the house, police said.

That incident was a sad reminder of the Fourth of July death of 7-year-old Brendon Mackey, of Chesterfield, who was killed by a stray bullet while waiting to see a fireworks show on Swift Creek Reservoir in Brandermill. The case remains unsolved.

As it is, the applicable charge for celebratory gunfire is reckless handling of a firearm, a Class 1 misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail, Shand said.

State Sen. Henry L. Marsh III wants to up the ante, even for celebratory gunfire that doesn’t find a target.

Marsh, a Richmond Democrat, and Del. Joseph D. Morrissey, D-Henrico, have submitted legislation that would increase penalties for celebratory gunfire. The so-called “Brendon’s Law” would make the willful discharge of a firearm with no discernable target within a city or town limits, or within 2 miles of an occupied building, punishable by five to 40 years in prison if the bullet kills someone.

Such gunfire resulting in injury but not death would be a Class 3 felony (five to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $100,000); such conduct that results in no bodily injury would be a Class 6 felony (up to five years incarceration and a maximum fine of $2,500).

“I’m asking them to increase the punishment so it would be a deterrent to people who don’t think about it,” Marsh said Thursday. “They really don’t focus on the fact that if you shoot a bullet in the air, it’s going to come back down.”

The legislation provides an opportunity to educate the public and save lives, he said. “It happens in the rural areas, it happens in inner cities, it happens regardless of the race of the shooter or the victim. It’s a universal problem.”

I don’t think the gun lobby should oppose this,” Marsh said. “This is not about people having guns. It’s about shooting guns in situations where injury or death can occur … Most people follow the law. If we can change the law, we can change the conduct. If we can save one child’s life, it’ll be worth the effort.”

But Marsh can expect opposition from the Virginia Citizens Defense League, a gun-rights lobby.

Its president, Philip Van Cleave, called the bill “too vague and loaded with felonies,” and said it’s directed at people who would be charged with other offenses. “We just don’t find that it’s a very good bill, or even if it’s necessary.”

As for the idea that the legislation will educate people to the risks of such behavior, he said: “If the state wants to do that, run some commercials every now and then. If you really want to educate people, just changing the law won’t educate people.”

Still, the VCDL strongly discourages anybody from doing celebratory shooting in the air with rifles and handguns. The bullets in those firearms can travel a considerable distance, and have a weight and mass that create dangerous force upon descent. “Rifles and guns are not really designed to be fired up in the air,” Van Cleave said.

Shotguns, on the other hand, are intended for bird hunting, and use relatively lightweight pellets that disperse and lose energy quickly, he said.

TFred

Interesting, the PC police are hard at work. I saw an article a few days ago which noted that this is a tradition commonly observed in Latin culture... and increasing here as that culture increases here... the article has since been deleted.

TFred

TFred

On information and belief, that was the result of a drive-by shooting.

It is not possible to prove the source of a random bullet without further evidence - a match between bullet and barrel, e.g. The chances of a truly random air-shot hitting a man sized target are on the order of 1:10^7 - the ratio of the surface area of a semi-sphere of radius range to the surface area of the target.
I believe that they did conclude just that in the July 4th shooting, due to the angle of the wound path, etc. Been a while since I read it, so it's a little fuzzy.

TFred

JohnM15A

Interesting, the PC police are hard at work. I saw an article a few days ago which noted that this is a tradition commonly observed in Latin culture... and increasing here as that culture increases here... the article has since been deleted.

TFred

PWC is now 50+% Latino and EVERY holiday except Christmas I hear guns shots outside in my neighborhood. Not safe to stand outside...

mobeewan

Not just Latinos. Not many Latinos in the hood along Shell Road and the LaSalle Ave and Victoria Blvd intersection in Hampton. For the last 15 years it's sounded like a war zone on the 4th of July and New Years. Not to forget the non-celebratory gunfire any other time between 12 am and 6 am any other day of the year.

I'm getting sick and fed up with it! I can't see making an accidental discharge a felony, but I see nothing wrong with making a willful discharge one.

Last edited:

AtackDuck

More laws to make illegal actions more illegal

Whatever happened to reckless endangerment and criminal negligence?

Yes, just what need: Another damn law to make something more illegal.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I love the little weasel quote at the end that makes it seem like Philip implied firing a shotgun into the air isn't dangerous. Make it look like he might not be opposed to celebratory shotgunning.

Thundar

I love the little weasel quote at the end that makes it seem like Philip implied firing a shotgun into the air isn't dangerous. Make it look like he might not be opposed to celebratory shotgunning.

Nah, Philip has just been listening to Shotgun Joe. :banghead:

Ask Marsh if he really believes that those that follow Biden's advice should be turned into felons. :shocker:

2a4all

Ask Marsh if he really believes that those that follow Biden's advice should be turned into felons. :shocker:
Don't see why. Elmer Fudd was never pwosecuted for firing his shotgun at that pesky wabbit. What's that you say? That's where Joe got the idea? Hmmm.

JoeSparky

Centurion

Would these be those that followed Biden's advice and COMMITTED felonies or just those that followed some stupid lawyer politician with bad advice?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Elmer Fudd was never pwosecuted for firing his shotgun at that pesky wabbit.

:D

Wiley Coyote was prolly the prosecutor at the time.

Which reminds me. Yosemite Sam was never prosecuted for those times he emptied the cylinders, neither.

wimwag

In 1997 I spent new years with my grandparents in Mesa, AZ. About 10 seconds after the ball dropped, the ceiling fan exploded in a shower of broken lightbulb glass and fell on the coffee table. "That was probably a .45" said grandpa.

va_tazdad

Right

“I’m asking them to increase the punishment so it would be a deterrent to people who don’t think about it,” Marsh said Thursday.

I am sure it will be as effective as ther Death Penalty is to stop murders. This is just another feel good law by idiot politicians that will accomplish NOTHING !!!!!

The only time the Death Penalty is effective is when they execute a convicted murderer. It does not stop them from the original act, but it does keep them from ever doing it again.

But then, look at the 2 fools proposing the bill.

Last edited:

Repeater

Why is this a 'Black' issue?

Any insight?

Va. bill seeks to criminalize celebratory gunfire
The Legislative Black Caucus this morning outlined its legislative priorities for the General Assembly session starting today, including support for a bill criminalizing celebratory gunfire.

“Brendon’s Law” would make it a felony to shoot a firearm without a “discernible of designated target” within any Virginia city or town or within two miles of an occupied building. It is named for Brendon Mackey, a 7-year-old Chesterfield County boy who died July 5 after being struck in the head with a bullet fired into the air, said the bill’s patron, Sen. Henry Marsh, a Chesterfield Democrat.

Violating the law would be a Class 6 felony, punishable by one to five years in prison. Celebratory gunfire that results in a death would be punishable by five to 40 years behind bars.

“Shooting a gun has consequences,” Marsh said during the press conference at the Capitol. “When you shoot up, the bullet is eventually going to come down.”

TFred

Why is this a 'Black' issue?

Any insight?

Va. bill seeks to criminalize celebratory gunfire

The Legislative Black Caucus this morning outlined its legislative priorities for the General Assembly session starting today, including support for a bill criminalizing celebratory gunfire.
I would suggest that your question is invalid.

I don't follow any inference whatsoever from "The Legislative Black Caucus this morning outlined its legislative priorities for the General Assembly session starting today, including support for a bill criminalizing celebratory gunfire" to this being "a black issue."

Of course, my point being that "The Legislative Black Caucus" is a political organization which has little, if anything, to do with promoting issues that actually help improve the lives of those they claim to represent.

It's not a "black" issue. It's a "Legislative Black Caucus" issue.

TFred