• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

pulled over by a policeman

Primus

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf

Bottom of page 5 on here says:

From IN State Police FAQ’s

Q. Does Indiana statute require me to carry the handgun on my person concealed or
exposed?
A. Indiana law is silent on this issue; however, carrying an exposed weapon in public may alarm some
people. Also, the right to carry a firearm may be restricted on private property and businesses by the
owners. Be attentive for signs warning of restricted areas when carrying firearms into public places.
If approached by law enforcement for official business such as traffic stops or complaint related
inquiries, it is recommended that you tell the officer in a non-threatening manner that you are
carrying a weapon or have a weapon in the vehicle and that you have a valid permit. A law
enforcement officer does have the right to inspect the permit.

Note: I can find no reference in Indiana Law stating you must carry your Permit. The FAQ from the IN St.
Police states they do have the right to inspect your permit. "

I agree with the note, I still can't find the statute, but ive seen it a few places. Not sure if guys are just going by the FAQ from the state police? This actually has me interested now...

ANYONE ELSE SEE THIS CITE.

HOW ABOUT THE PART AT THE BOTTOM THAT SAYS CANT FIND THE STATUTE.

Yet I'm obtuse......I again, agree with Falls, unless its out of the statute then I wouldn't take it either. Hence the reason me asking if its from the state police.

Primus

primus, come on, you have whined over and over you are being unfairly picked on by forum members and that such tactics are unwarranted.

yet after 1.2K posts you would think you would be able to understand a valid cite is from a reliable and perhaps unbiased source...handgun, wiki, and now ehow? these are not, as you were called out on, reliable cites.

come on are you that slow of a learner or are you being obtuse on purpose? if it is the latter, then i am afraid you are deserving of all the criticism you have received to date and will receive in the future.

ipse

Is handgunlaw.us a valid cite for you?

Maverick9

Is handgunlaw.us a valid cite for you?

That site is maintained by an individual and is not a legal document or a valid 'cite'. That would be something with a code.

The point is, policemen do not have 'rights'. Any 'law' which says something like 'a cop has a right to inspect' something is poorly worded and was probably written by a layperson, not a lawyer. It should say something like 'as provided in 123.45 of the Indiana Legal code, a permit must be produced on demand of a law enforcement official' or words to that effect. Backing by statue with proper definitions as to terms. Further a properly worded one might say 'a copy of the license is (or is not) permissible'. If it doesn't go on to talk about 'must show the handgun and the location of carry' or other nonsense, it's not a 'right', or a duty of citizen to provide such information. Is it an omission, maybe but too bad - no force of law.

HTH

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Is reading hard for you? I asked for cite regarding police "rights" to demand disclosure based on having a carry permit.

I also asked what you find "inane" about following attorney advice [don't talk to the police] when dealing with investigative questions from police.

Thats all. It's a forum. You discounted, discredited and dismissed a poster's input, based on nothing other than you feel the need to protect the profession of law enforcement, under the guise of officer "rights".

Is comprehension hard for you? Do you have a problem "connecting the dots?" If the law in Indiana and other states require that the permit holder produce his/her permit "upon demand of a police officer," what other "citation" do you think you need to show that the LEO has the right to demand disclosure? Are you that obtuse?

My comment about the inanity of the response was based more on the general input of that poster, but since you asked, my response was directed specifically at an implied refusal to reply to a LEO's demand for providing the permit. In later posts, I address the concept of not answering questions that are investigative rather than responding to legal demands.

Your inference that I "feel the need to protect the profession of law enforcement" is laughable. What I *do* feel is the need to treat other people as equals, LEOs included, until and unless their words or actions cause me to lose respect for them ... as is the case with you.

Moving on.

Fuller Malarkey

Is comprehension hard for you? Do you have a problem "connecting the dots?" If the law in Indiana and other states require that the permit holder produce his/her permit "upon demand of a police officer," what other "citation" do you think you need to show that the LEO has the right to demand disclosure? Are you that obtuse?

My comment about the inanity of the response was based more on the general input of that poster, but since you asked, my response was directed specifically at an implied refusal to reply to a LEO's demand for providing the permit. In later posts, I address the concept of not answering questions that are investigative rather than responding to legal demands.

Your inference that I "feel the need to protect the profession of law enforcement" is laughable. What I *do* feel is the need to treat other people as equals, LEOs included, until and unless their words or actions cause me to lose respect for them ... as is the case with you.

Moving on.

Probably best you do move on as you have displayed an inability to work within the parameters of a contention YOU laid out. Words have meaning, and I am somewhat surprised I'd have to tell that to someone that has set themselves up to be an instructor, something that requires properly applied words to convey the correct information.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Probably best you do move on as you have displayed an inability to work within the parameters of a contention YOU laid out. Words have meaning, and I am somewhat surprised I'd have to tell that to someone that has set themselves up to be an instructor, something that requires properly applied words to convey the correct information.

No, I'm moving on because I find it an utter waste of time conversing with such a biased and closed mind.

Fuller Malarkey

No, I'm moving on because I find it an utter waste of time conversing with such a biased and closed mind.

I'm not closed to anything, nor can you produce anything that indicates I am. You've gone for the ad hominem attack, about what I would expect from someone giving in to their compulsive need to be right, and are stuck like a deer in the headlights. And you blame the headlights, not your choices. NOT sound thinking by someone that supposedly instructs others on making critical choices.

Primus

No, sir.
At a minimum, a citation to the law will be a link to the applicable law from a site maintained by said State Legislature, or a link to an independent organization such as FindLaw.Com. In either case, a valid citation must include the Chapter and paragraph of the law being cited.

Got it. I'm actually coming to the conclusion its just pulled from the firearms FAQS on the state website. Obviously that isn't a chapter and section so I have no idea where they get out from. I eve checked the other chapters to see if it was under administrative stuff but found nothing. I think I'm going to shoot them an email today and ask them for a cite. I'll see what I get and post. I saw another poster in this thread pop up and say the same thing but not sure where he got his info from either. Wonder if its one of those urban legends lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Fallschirjmäger

:dude:
We, as humans are inclined to take what we know and try to fit that knowledge to unknown situations, (if every book you've read in your life opens right to left you're going to assume the next book you pick up does the same until you find yourself in a country that reads right to left instead of left to right.)

Just sent an inquiry to isp@isp.in.gov

Dear Indiana State Police

Is there a section of the Indiana Code that requires me to
a) Inform an officer that I am armed, or
b) Produce my firearms license upon an officer’s demand?

Yrfthflsrvnt
[Fallschirmjäger]

Last edited:

Fuller Malarkey

:dude:
We, as humans are inclined to take what we know and try to fit that knowledge to unknown situations, (if every book you've read in your life opens right to left you're going to assume the next book you pick up does the same until you find yourself in a country that reads right to left instead of left to right.)

Just sent an inquiry to isp@isp.in.gov

Dear Indiana State Police

Is there a section of the Indiana Code that requires me to
a) Inform an officer that I am armed, or
b) Produce my firearms license upon an officer’s demand?

Yrfthflsrvnt
[Fallschirmjäger]

They [ISP] don't answer the phone, at least today. The recording indicates that due to the weather, only essential personnel are in today. Might be a bit before a response surfaces.

Fallschirjmäger

To be quite honest, I'll be surprised if I do get a response. Most agencies (and most companies) seem to be reticent to admit things when they are not as the agency/company wishes. There's no penalty to the ISP for just ignoring the email.

MrOverlay

I always find it amazing that after the initial contact with an individual, the LEO feels it necessary to tell them to not touch their firearm, or leave it where it is, or even worse give it to the LEO for safe keeping.

Apparently they don't realize that if the individual has bad intent, it would most likely already be exhibited by that time.

Fuller Malarkey

To be quite honest, I'll be surprised if I do get a response. Most agencies (and most companies) seem to be reticent to admit things when they are not as the agency/company wishes. There's no penalty to the ISP for just ignoring the email.

I'd like to voice my appreciation to you for the effort you've put into researching this and the sharing of your insights. While I dislike some aspects of this site, there are people here that seem to thrive on seeking out the truth. In those quests, they bring their discoveries here and test them for water tightness through discussion. I find Falls to be one of those. You've gained some skills in truth seeking and I am richer for your sharing your findings here. Thank you.

Maverick9

I always find it amazing that after the initial contact with an individual, the LEO feels it necessary to tell them to not touch their firearm, or leave it where it is, or even worse give it to the LEO for safe keeping.

Apparently they don't realize that if the individual has bad intent, it would most likely already be exhibited by that time.

It's called 'goading' and is a favorite tactic. For some it's a type of passive aggression, giving instructions which they know aren't going to be challenged, showing they can 'rule'. It beats stopping and arrest really dangerous criminals.

When you think a LEO is not familiar with the law, or is asking things he knows very well he can't require, he's really trying to escalate the situation. He actually knows the law quite well. He knows he's got a LAC and he's not very likely to get challenged, but he thinks he might be able to make an arrest if he gets the person riled up. Witness cops who break the driver's window and pull a hapless black woman out into the street due to an equipment violation. You'd think he was arresting a mafia kingpin strapped with C4.
[video=youtube;S4K5Lr0y7Pw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4K5Lr0y7Pw[/video]

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

I once had an occasion where I tried the "I'ma not goin' t' roll my window all the way down" thing. I decided it was just me being passively aggressive and it's not something you're going to win on the side of the road. The whole "officer safety" thing rolls into this and he can claim a window partially opened so that he can't lean inside is dangerous just as easily as he can claim that a fully opened widow in an invitation to him being entrapped in the window frame. Same with exiting your car, it's dangerous if you do it, it's required if he commands you to do the same thing, both all in the name of "officer safety."

Best tactic? Be Ned Flanders, give him a friendly, "Oklie Doaklie, Neighboroonie" and if he says, "don't touch your gun" just agree and give him a friendly, "No worries; won't touch it, even if someone starts shooting and hits you."

WalkingWolf

It's called 'goading' and is a favorite tactic. For some it's a type of passive aggression, giving instructions which they know aren't going to be challenged, showing they can 'rule'. It beats stopping and arrest really dangerous criminals.

When you think a LEO is not familiar with the law, or is asking things he knows very well he can't require, he's really trying to escalate the situation. He actually knows the law quite well. He knows he's got a LAC and he's not very likely to get challenged, but he thinks he might be able to make an arrest if he gets the person riled up. Witness cops who break the driver's window and pull a hapless black woman out into the street due to an equipment violation. You'd think he was arresting a mafia kingpin strapped with C4.
[video=youtube;S4K5Lr0y7Pw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4K5Lr0y7Pw[/video]

I hope the officer is charged and prosecuted, but probably will not be. He should get the maximum sentence for abusing his privileges. He could have easily handed the citation through the window, and his fingers(not arm) were only in the window because he was breaking the window. What a jack ass!