• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Meeting In Bowling Green.

AtackDuck

We had real nice meeting at the Scottish Horse Thief in Bowling Green. Phil Van Cleave, Pres. VCDL, briefed us on the upcoming VA, legislative bills that VCDL supports or opposes, as well as Lobby Day on the 20th of Jan.

Some topics:
Support:
Reduce the CHP cost.
Lifetime CHP.
Authorize certain persons in schools to CCW.
Prohibit state employees from enforcing federal gun laws passed after January 1, 2013.
CCW in nonsterile areas of airports.
Clarification of the meaning of concealed.
Redefined meaning of "brandish".

Oppose:
Gun show loophole.
Denial of gun rights through misdemeanors.
Prohibit out-of-state sales of long guns.
Celebratory gunfire.
A multitude of health bills that can be used to unfairly deny gun rights.
Restoration of felon rights does not cover gun rights.
New penalties for commission of felony with a firearm.

I hope to see everyone on Lobby Day, January 20. The Lobby Day breakfast at Riverside Diner, is an event within itself not to be missed!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Great turnout! I hope we can get the Fredericksburg area on the regular VCDL schedule!

TFred

Sure hope he comes up with a few more topics to support. I only see two that get my interest.

Now the oppose list is looking a little better. This is where VCDL's strength will be this year anyway. Even if the support bills pass tey won't get signed and I don't see many veto overides coming.

Last edited:

AtackDuck

It's not a final list.

Sure hope he comes up with a few more topics to support. I only see two that get my interest.

Now the oppose list is looking a little better. This is where VCDL's strength will be this year anyway. Even if the support bills pass tey won't get signed and I don't see many veto overides coming.

The list is primarily of prefiled bills and is by no means a final or inclusive list. I am very interested in redefining "brandishing". This law has gotten way too much abuse in the last few years, much like disorderly conduct, or resisting arrest.
Constitutional carry was also discussed, and a bill may be tendered, but (and I agree) this appears to be too big of a bite to take with McAuliffe in office. However, steps may be taken in the coming years to set this up for actual passage, after McAuliffe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The list is primarily of prefiled bills and is by no means a final or inclusive list. I am very interested in redefining "brandishing". This law has gotten way too much abuse in the last few years, much like disorderly conduct, or resisting arrest.
Constitutional carry was also discussed, and a bill may be tendered, but (and I agree) this appears to be too big of a bite to take with McAuliffe in office. However, steps may be taken in the coming years to set this up for actual passage, after McAuliffe.

This is a prefile that I've heard murmurings about VCDL support but haven't gotten anything definite. While items like Sunday hunting may be a little beyond their scope, this isn't considering their strong support of 223's for Deer a couple of years ago.

HB 127 Use of muzzleloading pistols.
Edward T. Scott
Summary as introduced:
Use of muzzleloading pistols. Allows persons to hunt big game with muzzleloading pistols of a caliber of .45 or greater where and in those seasons when the use of muzzlelooading rifles is permitted. The bill authorizes the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries to adopt regulations that specify the types of muzzleloading pistols and projectiles and propellants that can be used.

They also need to oppose

HB 102 State legislative buildings; prohibits possession of weapons in buildings except by certain persons.
Patrick A. Hope | all patrons ... notes | add to my profiles

Summary as introduced:
Possession of weapons in state legislative buildings. Prohibits the possession of weapons in legislative buildings except by any person who lawfully possesses a handgun. The provisions of the bill that require screening of persons entering such building would not apply to General Assembly members or staff or to any law-enforcement officer.
Full text:
12/13/13 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/08/14 14103050D pdf