Thread: budget holster suggestions

budget holster suggestions

hey my name is carter I just joined this site after reading a bunch of very informational stuff. I live in Alabama and just recently turned 21 and got my conceal carry permit and my first pistol which is a glock 17 gen 3. And as of now I conceal carry but I want to start open carrying and wanted some suggestions for some budget owb holsters to start off with. thanks for the suggestions!

You can find Fobus for a little more or less than 20 bucks.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Thanks!

Safariland 6378 from the high 20's to the low 40's depending on your shopping skills.
    Not made of plastic, well thought of professionally.

Don't protect a $500 gun with the cheapest thing you can find.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 01-05-2014 at 10:46 PM.

Thanks I like that holstee. And I may just wait and save up and get a good quality one.

Founder's Club Member
    If you like leather, I've had good luck with DeSantis. They're not as economically priced as the plastic stuff, but they're not up in the expensive range, either. I've got one that's been worn almost daily for seven years and still doing fine.

Of course, the problem with leather is you have to get two. A brown one for daytime wear. And, a black one for evening wear--a gentleman never wears brown leather after 6:00 pm.

Separately, plan on spending as much again on a good belt. A regular belt just won't do. A regular belt will stretch. And, pretty quick, too. A belt made for a gun is what's needed. The leather is thicker. Or, maybe a good nylon web belt. The main point is don't carry with your favorite everyday belt. The weight of the gun will stretch it.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Safariland 6378 from the high 20's to the low 40's depending on your shopping skills.
    Not made of plastic,
    If not plastic, then what? Doesn't look like leather...
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    If you like leather, I've had good luck with DeSantis. They're not as economically priced as the plastic stuff, but they're not up in the expensive range, either. I've got one that's been worn almost daily for seven years and still doing fine.

Of course, the problem with leather is you have to get two. A brown one for daytime wear. And, a black one for evening wear--a gentleman never wears brown leather after 6:00 pm.

Separately, plan on spending as much again on a good belt. A regular belt just won't do. A regular belt will stretch. And, pretty quick, too. A belt made for a gun is what's needed. The leather is thicker. Or, maybe a good nylon web belt. The main point is don't carry with your favorite everyday belt. The weight of the gun will stretch it.
    Gun Belts by The Belt Man http://thebeltman.net/

Makes all of my belts. And yes, a brown one and a black one are de rigueur also for never mixing belt and shoe colors.

Last night, Sunday night, friends put on a Downton Abbey themed fancy-dress dinner for the opening of the new season. I don't own a tux, so I wore a double-breasted black suit over my CCW, with bow tie, kiltied-opera shoes and my black dress fedora. Another of the four gentlemen did wear 'black-tie', and the ladies all dressed to the fashion of the day.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    The Safariland Model 6378 Holster is a concealment version of the Automatic Locking System (ALS®) series holsters. Once the weapon is holstered, it "locks" into place, providing an extra measure of security from standard open top holsters. A simple straight up draw is possible once the ALS® is de-activated by the thumb while obtaining a shooting grip. IDPA approved. The Model 6378 holster features an all-new injection molded paddle design that is highly concealable and rides close to body with a slightly forward weapon cant. It also comes standard with the 567BL belt loop, fitting 1.5" to 1.75" belt widths. Additionally, it features suede lining to help protect the gun's sights and finish, and its SafariLaminate™ structure with wraparound design provides the strongest design combination available

That do it for you Mate?
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Not made of plastic, well thought of professionally.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    Kydex, a brand of polymer. The difference between polymer and plastic is complicated as all plastics are polymers but not all polymers are plastic*. The 6378* is formed from a sheet of Kydex wrapped around a form, the last Fobus I saw was made from injection molded plastic.

It's not so much the material a Fobus holster is constructed from as it is the design issues. The attachment between the actual holster and the belt slide/paddle of the Fobus has been reported as rather weak. Since that interface is what prevents the holster from being ripped away from one's body it's an important consideration in making the decision as to which to purchase. I've never heard of a Safariland holster being ripped from someone's waistband as has been videoed happening with Fobus (Although in the well known video it's the material blamed and not the design, one can see that the materials survived where as the attachment failed.)

*similar to "all revolvers are pistols, but not all pistols are revolvers" or "all Corvettes are automobiles but not all automobiles are Corvettes (or Yugo's for that matter.)
    ** and likely others, but I only have a 6300-series on hand to examine.

Someone has compared Safariland, Blackhawk, and Fobus holsters. I'll post the link as I go watch it myself.

Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 01-06-2014 at 12:18 PM.

If you do insist on going the 'inexpensive' route but also insist on quality, allow me to suggest the very underrated GLOCK sport/combat holster. It's injection molded plastic (which I just railed against), it's ugly as sin, and it would be a Herculean task to rip it from a belt. It also fits tighter against the body than any other holster I've come across due to the thinness of the material, and with two sizes it fits everything in Glock's lineup plus a few pistols from other manufacturers. I use one in the larger size to conceal my G19 and my M&P.
    For +/- $15 it's hard to beat.

I purchased one at the same time I purchased my G17 (mid 70's) and haven't come close to wearing it out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02088.jpg 
Views:	6229 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	11084
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 01-06-2014 at 12:35 PM.

If you do insist on going the 'inexpensive' route but also insist on quality, allow me to suggest the very underrated GLOCK sport/combat holster. It's injection molded plastic (which I just railed against), it's ugly as sin, and it would be a Herculean task to rip it from a belt. It also fits tighter against the body than any other holster I've come across due to the thinness of the material, and with two sizes it fits everything in Glock's lineup plus a few pistols from other manufacturers. I use one in the larger size to conceal my G19 and my M&P.
    For +/- $15 it's hard to beat.

I purchased one at the same time I purchased my G17 (mid 70's) and haven't come close to wearing it out.

Name:	DSC02088.jpg 
Views:	6229 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	11084
    It also sort of molds itself to you over time. I have one also, but I rarely ever use it now. Only for range days sometimes. But it's a good cheap holster that just works. It's a little stiff on the draw, but maybe mine isn't worn in yet?

Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    It's a little stiff on the draw, but maybe mine isn't worn in yet?
    Err... um...
    My 30-year old original and my one year old (larger size) seem to draw identically. Probably good that it's a little stiff as the only retention on the holster is friction.

crap.. thirty year old holster? gawd, i'm getting older.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 01-06-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Err... um...
    My 30-year old original and my one year old (larger size) seem to draw identically. Probably good that it's a little stiff as the only retention on the holster is friction.

crap.. thirty year old holster? gawd, i'm getting older.
    No argument about the retention. I just assumed it would slack a little over time. If not, it's no biggie to me.

Kydex, a brand of polymer. The difference between polymer and plastic is complicated as all plastics are polymers but not all polymers are plastic*. The 6378* is formed from a sheet of Kydex wrapped around a form, the last Fobus I saw was made from injection molded plastic.
    Sorry, I thought you meant it was something completely different. KYDEX, made by Emco Industrial Plastics, may be a better type of plastic than what Fobus uses, but it is a thermoplastic. From the KYDEX homepage:

The specialty thermoplastic sheet for specialty applications.
    KYDEX® thermoplastics have the physical, mechanical and thermal properties your customers want
    KYDEX, LLC is a worldwide leader in specialty thermoplastic sheet manufacturing.
    As I understand it, that puts it in the "all plastics are polymers" category, not the "not all polymers are plastics" category. No?
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

I might be wrong I believe kydex is acrylic-polyvinyl chloride, similar to polyvinyl chloride(sewer/water pipes). PVC will hold pressures, depending on thickness to over 60 PSI. I am not sure if fobus is acrylic-polyvinyl chloride or another type of plastic. I do believe the kydex sheets are injected molded in flat sheets though, though would be subjected to high heat twice to make a holster. IMO it seems that a injected molded holster of the same chemical properties would be stronger.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I'm not totally sure what material Fobus holsters are made from, it could be diamond coated lizard skin for all I know.
    That said, I'm very leery of the quality of their materials in the long run as well as the security of the attachment of the holster to the paddle.

Name:	glock-19-with-fobus-gl-2-nd-holster-paddle.JPG 
Views:	2788 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	11085
    I just cannot put a lot of trust in three rivets.

I am not a plastic holster person, so I can't say for sure, but the point is that fobus are a inexpensive holster, and from what I have read they work. They are plastic and so is kydex. There is one member here who reported that his Serpa failed from stress cracking, something that most plastic is susceptible to. Leather is not so much as skin is designed by evolution to flex. I prefer leather holsters, but unless the OP makes his own, as I do, they tend to be expensive. I would offer to make him one, but I do not own a Glock to mold the leather to. I hot wax my holsters which makes them function and sound like kydex but they are stronger, and look better. If he is interested I will tell him what he needs to make a few holsters, but no sense tying up the thread with it unless he wants to go that route.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Hi - Carter,

For OC might I suggest ACECASE holsters. They are mostly nylon (with felt inner) which has some advantages. It will not wear the finish of your pistol like plastic will. It is mildew and water resistant. It is quiet. They do offer some leather holsters too. They offer a life time warranty from defects and are made in USA! Been around since the early 1970's. Of the less expensive brands they are the best in my opinion. Hint their holsters can usually be found cheaper at the big online stores ie CTD etc...
    http://acecase.com/
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 01-07-2014 at 12:45 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Blackhawk makes a variety of holsters, some also have finger releases like the one in the link. Down side is they are plastic and will cause unnecessary wear. I picked up a sheet of felt that had a adhesive backing for under a 1$. Didn't take to much work to line the holster with the felt and it holds my firearm snug and wear free.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/251...-polymer-black
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

Just remember, with a good holster you hurt once. With a poor holster you hurt again and again.

Poor holsters will nickel and dime you to death over the years. I tried cheap leather holsters, and over a brief few years I've spent much more on those combined than I did my $100 Safariland 6360.

I recommend checking E-Bay stores/auctions. You can get some very good leather holsters for very reasonable prices if you shop around. The problem is when the holsters are available, they're available until they're gone. Most of them are close-outs, new-old stock, or gun store closing left-overs. The ones that are most desireable are usually on auction and can get pricey quickly. Open carry holsters like police duty holsters and field holsters generally don't rate "pricey."

You can PM me if you want a recommendation to a particular store that I've had very good luck with. I don't have any business relationship with the vendor other than he's gotten quite a bit of my money over the years.

ECS
    "If the truth hurts, it should." - Dad

" A year from now, ten, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

"The cheaper the crook, the gaudier the patter." - Sam Spade, The Maltese Falcon

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/gl26resedeho.html

It will fit the Glock 17 as well, and you can't really beat the price. It's fully adjustable for 360 degrees so you can set the angle exactly where you want it, and the retention works the same as a SERPA, this is the same company that makes the holsters for Sig, and it's the exact same model (except for Glocks). This is the holster I use for my Glock, except mine is longer, and I have the belt attachment. It's also available in green.

Quote Originally Posted by Small_Arms_Collector View Post
    http://www.cdnninvestments.com/gl26resedeho.html

It will fit the Glock 17 as well, and you can't really beat the price. It's fully adjustable for 360 degrees so you can set the angle exactly where you want it, and the retention works the same as a SERPA, this is the same company that makes the holsters for Sig, and it's the exact same model (except for Glocks). This is the holster I use for my Glock, except mine is longer, and I have the belt attachment. It's also available in green.
    Good find! May be getting left & right for my 26's ... :thumbup:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Good find! May be getting left & right for my 26's ... :thumbup:
    No problem.

It's a good holster, I've been using it for several years now.