• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

budget holster suggestions

carterfromalabama

hey my name is carter I just joined this site after reading a bunch of very informational stuff. I live in Alabama and just recently turned 21 and got my conceal carry permit and my first pistol which is a glock 17 gen 3. And as of now I conceal carry but I want to start open carrying and wanted some suggestions for some budget owb holsters to start off with. thanks for the suggestions!

Fallschirjmäger

Safariland 6378 from the high 20's to the low 40's depending on your shopping skills.
Not made of plastic, well thought of professionally.
236554.jpg

Don't protect a $500 gun with the cheapest thing you can find.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
If you like leather, I've had good luck with DeSantis. They're not as economically priced as the plastic stuff, but they're not up in the expensive range, either. I've got one that's been worn almost daily for seven years and still doing fine.

Of course, the problem with leather is you have to get two. A brown one for daytime wear. And, a black one for evening wear--a gentleman never wears brown leather after 6:00 pm. :)

Separately, plan on spending as much again on a good belt. A regular belt just won't do. A regular belt will stretch. And, pretty quick, too. A belt made for a gun is what's needed. The leather is thicker. Or, maybe a good nylon web belt. The main point is don't carry with your favorite everyday belt. The weight of the gun will stretch it.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
If not plastic, then what? Doesn't look like leather... :confused:

The Safariland Model 6378 Holster is a concealment version of the Automatic Locking System (ALS®) series holsters. Once the weapon is holstered, it "locks" into place, providing an extra measure of security from standard open top holsters. A simple straight up draw is possible once the ALS® is de-activated by the thumb while obtaining a shooting grip. IDPA approved. The Model 6378 holster features an all-new injection molded paddle design that is highly concealable and rides close to body with a slightly forward weapon cant. It also comes standard with the 567BL belt loop, fitting 1.5" to 1.75" belt widths. Additionally, it features suede lining to help protect the gun's sights and finish, and its SafariLaminate™ structure with wraparound design provides the strongest design combination available

That do it for you Mate?

Fallschirjmäger

Safariland 6378 from the high 20's to the low 40's depending on your shopping skills.
Not made of plastic, well thought of professionally.
If not plastic, then what? Doesn't look like leather... :confused:

Kydex, a brand of polymer. The difference between polymer and plastic is complicated as all plastics are polymers but not all polymers are plastic*. The 6378* is formed from a sheet of Kydex wrapped around a form, the last Fobus I saw was made from injection molded plastic.

It's not so much the material a Fobus holster is constructed from as it is the design issues. The attachment between the actual holster and the belt slide/paddle of the Fobus has been reported as rather weak. Since that interface is what prevents the holster from being ripped away from one's body it's an important consideration in making the decision as to which to purchase. I've never heard of a Safariland holster being ripped from someone's waistband as has been videoed happening with Fobus (Although in the well known video it's the material blamed and not the design, one can see that the materials survived where as the attachment failed.)

*similar to "all revolvers are pistols, but not all pistols are revolvers" or "all Corvettes are automobiles but not all automobiles are Corvettes (or Yugo's for that matter.)
** and likely others, but I only have a 6300-series on hand to examine.

Someone has compared Safariland, Blackhawk, and Fobus holsters. I'll post the link as I go watch it myself.

[video=youtube;WbNvQhEqcBY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbNvQhEqcBY[/video]

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

If you do insist on going the 'inexpensive' route but also insist on quality, allow me to suggest the very underrated GLOCK sport/combat holster. It's injection molded plastic (which I just railed against), it's ugly as sin, and it would be a Herculean task to rip it from a belt. It also fits tighter against the body than any other holster I've come across due to the thinness of the material, and with two sizes it fits everything in Glock's lineup plus a few pistols from other manufacturers. I use one in the larger size to conceal my G19 and my M&P.
For +/- $15 it's hard to beat.

I purchased one at the same time I purchased my G17 (mid 70's) and haven't come close to wearing it out.
DSC02088.jpg

Last edited:

mobiushky

If you do insist on going the 'inexpensive' route but also insist on quality, allow me to suggest the very underrated GLOCK sport/combat holster. It's injection molded plastic (which I just railed against), it's ugly as sin, and it would be a Herculean task to rip it from a belt. It also fits tighter against the body than any other holster I've come across due to the thinness of the material, and with two sizes it fits everything in Glock's lineup plus a few pistols from other manufacturers. I use one in the larger size to conceal my G19 and my M&P.
For +/- $15 it's hard to beat.

I purchased one at the same time I purchased my G17 (mid 70's) and haven't come close to wearing it out.
View attachment 11084

It also sort of molds itself to you over time. I have one also, but I rarely ever use it now. Only for range days sometimes. But it's a good cheap holster that just works. It's a little stiff on the draw, but maybe mine isn't worn in yet?

Fallschirjmäger

It's a little stiff on the draw, but maybe mine isn't worn in yet?
Err... um...
My 30-year old original and my one year old (larger size) seem to draw identically. Probably good that it's a little stiff as the only retention on the holster is friction.

crap.. thirty year old holster? gawd, i'm getting older.

Last edited:

mobiushky

Err... um...
My 30-year old original and my one year old (larger size) seem to draw identically. Probably good that it's a little stiff as the only retention on the holster is friction.

crap.. thirty year old holster? gawd, i'm getting older.

No argument about the retention. I just assumed it would slack a little over time. If not, it's no biggie to me.

JustaShooter

Kydex, a brand of polymer. The difference between polymer and plastic is complicated as all plastics are polymers but not all polymers are plastic*. The 6378* is formed from a sheet of Kydex wrapped around a form, the last Fobus I saw was made from injection molded plastic.
Sorry, I thought you meant it was something completely different. KYDEX, made by Emco Industrial Plastics, may be a better type of plastic than what Fobus uses, but it is a thermoplastic. From the KYDEX homepage:

The specialty thermoplastic sheet for specialty applications.

KYDEX® thermoplastics have the physical, mechanical and thermal properties your customers want

KYDEX, LLC is a worldwide leader in specialty thermoplastic sheet manufacturing.

As I understand it, that puts it in the "all plastics are polymers" category, not the "not all polymers are plastics" category. No?

WalkingWolf

I might be wrong I believe kydex is acrylic-polyvinyl chloride, similar to polyvinyl chloride(sewer/water pipes). PVC will hold pressures, depending on thickness to over 60 PSI. I am not sure if fobus is acrylic-polyvinyl chloride or another type of plastic. I do believe the kydex sheets are injected molded in flat sheets though, though would be subjected to high heat twice to make a holster. IMO it seems that a injected molded holster of the same chemical properties would be stronger.

Fallschirjmäger

I'm not totally sure what material Fobus holsters are made from, it could be diamond coated lizard skin for all I know.
That said, I'm very leery of the quality of their materials in the long run as well as the security of the attachment of the holster to the paddle.
glock-19-with-fobus-gl-2-nd-holster-paddle.JPG
I just cannot put a lot of trust in three rivets.

WalkingWolf

I am not a plastic holster person, so I can't say for sure, but the point is that fobus are a inexpensive holster, and from what I have read they work. They are plastic and so is kydex. There is one member here who reported that his Serpa failed from stress cracking, something that most plastic is susceptible to. Leather is not so much as skin is designed by evolution to flex. I prefer leather holsters, but unless the OP makes his own, as I do, they tend to be expensive. I would offer to make him one, but I do not own a Glock to mold the leather to. I hot wax my holsters which makes them function and sound like kydex but they are stronger, and look better. If he is interested I will tell him what he needs to make a few holsters, but no sense tying up the thread with it unless he wants to go that route.

FreeInAZ

Hi - Carter,

For OC might I suggest ACECASE holsters. They are mostly nylon (with felt inner) which has some advantages. It will not wear the finish of your pistol like plastic will. It is mildew and water resistant. It is quiet. They do offer some leather holsters too. They offer a life time warranty from defects and are made in USA! Been around since the early 1970's. Of the less expensive brands they are the best in my opinion. Hint their holsters can usually be found cheaper at the big online stores ie CTD etc...
http://acecase.com/

Last edited:

OneForAll

Blackhawk makes a variety of holsters, some also have finger releases like the one in the link. Down side is they are plastic and will cause unnecessary wear. I picked up a sheet of felt that had a adhesive backing for under a 1$. Didn't take to much work to line the holster with the felt and it holds my firearm snug and wear free.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/25...lster-right-hand-glock-17-22-31-polymer-black

Slade McCuiston

Just remember, with a good holster you hurt once. With a poor holster you hurt again and again.

Poor holsters will nickel and dime you to death over the years. I tried cheap leather holsters, and over a brief few years I've spent much more on those combined than I did my $100 Safariland 6360.