• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police deal with another mental health emergency by killing the citizen

Fuller Malarkey

Father says his 18-year-old son was murdered by a Southport Police Officer

http://www.wwaytv3.com/2014/01/05/f...old-son-was-murdered-southport-police-officer

"Everything was going good, then this fat cop from Southport walks in the room, walks around the corner, says, 'we don't have time for this. Tase that kid now, let’s get him out of here.'"

Wilsui says like any teenage boy, his son tried to run when he heard the word tase.

"The tasers hit him, he fell back. Two officers were on top of him. You know, he's got the little screwdriver. I mean, I would have went and got the screwdriver from him. I went to help, and I hear a shot,” Wilsui explained.

Wilsui says he grabbed the officer so he could not shoot again.

"What did you shoot my son for? 'Well I'm protecting my officers.’

Of course this is an isolated incident, similar to the other isolated incidents we see almost daily.

This could happen to any of us, anywhere. A friend, a family member or ourselves could find ourselves in need of outside immediate assistance, and our good yet misguided intentions could cost a loved one their life.

Or am I unrealistic in believing we should be free from arbitrary extermination?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Mark Wilsui says he called police when his 18-year-old, 90 lb. son had a screwdriver that he would not let go.

Don't call the police for such trivial matters ... the parents could have just left the bldg if they felt threatened (and should in any event if they feel threatened, right?)

Wilsui says his son, Keith Vidal had schizophrenia and was having an episode Sunday afternoon at their home on the 1100 block of President Road in Boiling Spring Lakes

Having an episode? And why did not the father handle it? Oh, right .. he was worried he would be killed by his kid poking him with the tool he held in his hand .... so, he called the police who carry guns and are told to kill others who may harm them or other cops.

Sucks....but if you are the one responding, you gonna take a screwdriver to the brain from a 18yr old having a fit?

Also, you know when 3 cops are around, someone's likely gonna be getting hurt.

I was not there so I cannot say if it was justified ...

But its a good post with the moral of the story: don't call cops to your own house ... deal with issues that crop up yourself...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Sad. Another parent/spouse taken in by the idea that police are there to protect and serve, there to help.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sad. Another parent/spouse taken in by the idea that police are there to protect and serve, there to help.

The police cannot expand your freedom, they can only lower it ...

I've have had police at my door, saying they are responding to this or that ... when I ask "Am I under arrest? and they say No"...slam goes the door (if it was opened)~cause hey, me talking to them ain't gonna make me free-er-er.

Really, not enough info to understand why the cop decided to shoot the kid ... holding it in his hand with 2 cops on top of him is likely not enough ...

Fuller Malarkey

Some news up dates:

http://www.wect.com/story/24367610/...er-officer-involved-shooting-that-killed-teen

By the head count given by the District Attorney's Office, five cops were present:

"According to the report, the first unit on scene was a Boiling Spring Lakes officer who arrived at 12:34. He was joined shortly after by two additional BSL officers and a Brunswick County Sheriff's Deputy.

The first unit on scene reported a confrontation in the hallway, but told Brunswick County Dispatchers several times that everything was OK. Unit 104 from Southport arrived on the scene at 12:48:41, fourteen minutes after the first officer had already been on scene. Seventy seconds later, Unit 104 radioed out that he had to fire shots at the subject in order to defend himself."

Another news report gives some other perspectives:

“Everyone is committed to going wherever the truth leads,” said District Attorney Jon David. “This is now an investigation.”

David confirmed that the State Bureau of Investigations was looking into the incident, which involved officers from three different municipalities: Brunwick County, Boiling Spring Lakes and Southport."

http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/06/u...18-year-old-family-cries-murder-and-cover-up/

"Looking into it" is not the same as "taking the lead" or "in charge of" the investigation, which implies to me that the actual investigation will be "conducted" by the departments involved. Objectivity is going to be challenged here.

"Prior to the press conference, Vidal’s family was incensed, however. They claimed that David didn’t want them disturbing the conference, and had prohibited them from attending."

Well the prosecutor seems objective. :shocker: Funny he didn't have the family locked up for violating his banishment of them from the press conference.

3147636_G.jpg

There's the "perp".....90 pounds of raw thug that five "highly trained" police officers could not control.

WalkingWolf

"A Brunswick County grand jury indicted Bryon Vassey, a nine-year veteran of the Southport Police Department, on a charge of voluntary manslaughter in connection with the Jan. 5 shooting of Vidal, who had been diagnosed with schizophrenia."

http://portcitydaily.com/2014/02/03...nic-teen-charged-with-voluntary-manslaughter/

Damn skippy, in this state police do not always get away with acting recklessly. If indictments were nation wide this kind of doo doo would slow down quickly.

WalkingWolf

father should have filmed the encounter.

The father was concerned about his son, not collecting a settlement on a lawsuit. Instead of suing, though his family probably will, he went for formal charges against the officer. As it should be and is in this state.

Seems one so called activist in CA is only concerned with lining his pockets.

onus

The father was concerned about his son, not collecting a settlement on a lawsuit. Instead of suing, though his family probably will, he went for formal charges against the officer. As it should be and is in this state.

Seems one so called activist in CA is only concerned with lining his pockets.

Umm.....does this post make sense to anyone ?

Fuller Malarkey

Indicted Southport detective put on unpaid leave

[B]SOUTHPORT, NC (WWAY) -- A Southport police officer charged with voluntary manslaughter in the death of a Boiling Spring Lakes teen will not be getting a paycheck as he waits for his case to be heard.

Det. Bryon Vassey was placed on non-disciplinary suspension without pay, City Manager Kerry McDuffie said. That went into effect Tuesday.

Vassey had been on paid leave since Jan. 5, when he shot and killed Vidal 70 seconds after arriving at the teen's home.[/B]

http://www.wwaytv3.com/comment/reply/49755#comment-form

I imagine the Po-po benevolent society will have a bake sale to fund beer and his cable TV.

Meanwhile, the family lives with the memory of watching their child die in front of them, powerless to protect their child from......well, you fill in the blank.