• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Upcoming Ohio OC Events??

eye95

Almost 30 folks showed up at Hometown Buffet. Spoke at length with a candidate for the 17th District seat in the Ohio House. Not my district or I'd probably be voting for him. He is Liberty-minded, but knows how to pick and win battles. We don't see eye to eye on everything, but then, who does?

A couple of ladies called me over, one of them saying that she had a question. I said that I had an answer. I was expecting either a contentious question or one of the usual are-you-allowed-to-do-thats or are-you-a-cops. Instead, she was down with our carry, had even identified a few of the handguns to her table-companion, and just wondered who we were. We chatted for a few minutes before I rejoined the group.

The group included two minors, including one who was OC--the usual suspect. He and his dad were both sporting far more hair than when I saw them last.

Oh, and no one got shot.

MyWifeSaidYes

Its just come to my attention that the 3rd shift manager at Ashland McDonald's on 250 is a dick and just loves to call the police on people and also go against company policy. I think I just found the destination of my next open carry snack :p

Deep breath, dude.

These restaurants are private property. Some stores are company-owned and some are owned by franchisees.

As far as policies, a franchised store has more flexibility on what policies they can enact, including restricting firearms.

What battle do you win if the manager asks you to leave?

Even unarmed, if you refuse to leave, YOU have then committed Criminal Trespass.

Regardless of who owns the store, in Ohio, any employee or agent of the business owner can ask you to leave.

I'm not saying not to open carry there. I would. But then I open carry everywhere I can.

I'm just saying private property owners are not the folks with whom to pick fights.

Find a city, village or even a township with gun laws still on their books (I can help you find lots, like Bexley). Find a county fairground with "No guns" signs on their fences (like Franklin county). Find a community park with a "no guns" rule (like Powell).

All of these rules are invalid as per Ohio Revised Code 9.68. It is the opinion of MANY people that these invalid laws, serving no legitimate purpose, should be removed from the books instead of being allowed to remain and potentially causing problems by accidental enforcement.

If you want to fight, we've got plenty of battles.

Eat a McChicken for me while you're there!

:)

eye95

Deep breath, dude.

These restaurants are private property. Some stores are company-owned and some are owned by franchisees.

As far as policies, a franchised store has more flexibility on what policies they can enact, including restricting firearms.

What battle do you win if the manager asks you to leave?

Even unarmed, if you refuse to leave, YOU have then committed Criminal Trespass.

Regardless of who owns the store, in Ohio, any employee or agent of the business owner can ask you to leave.

I'm not saying not to open carry there. I would. But then I open carry everywhere I can.

I'm just saying private property owners are not the folks with whom to pick fights.

Find a city, village or even a township with gun laws still on their books (I can help you find lots, like Bexley). Find a county fairground with "No guns" signs on their fences (like Franklin county). Find a community park with a "no guns" rule (like Powell).

All of these rules are invalid as per Ohio Revised Code 9.68. It is the opinion of MANY people that these invalid laws, serving no legitimate purpose, should be removed from the books instead of being allowed to remain and potentially causing problems by accidental enforcement.

If you want to fight, we've got plenty of battles.

Eat a McChicken for me while you're there!

:)

Oh, this is a battle definitely worth pursuing.

This is how I'd advise Mr. Dew:

Anytime that someone (even someone other than the owner) kicks you off private property, go. Then work your way up the chain until you find out the owner's policy. If it is anti-carry, just let him know that you and many others will not patronize the establishment. Then tell us about the place so that we don't go there. If the policy allows carry, relate what happened and ask for corrective action. This works.

eye95

How could that not happen? Carrying guns is dangerous you know! OH MY!!! :rolleyes:

David

I think the closest anyone came to getting shot was me futzing with my gun in the dark, in the rain, between two cars, in the parking lot, trying to comply with a moronic Ohio law.

SteveInCO

I think the closest anyone came to getting shot was me futzing with my gun in the dark, in the rain, between two cars, in the parking lot, trying to comply with a moronic Ohio law.

I think I know which moronic law that is.

Moronic laws are like a***oles, everyone seems to have em and they all stink.

OC for ME

Almost 30 folks showed up at Hometown Buffet. Spoke at length with a candidate for the 17th District seat in the Ohio House. Not my district or I'd probably be voting for him. He is Liberty-minded, but knows how to pick and win battles. We don't see eye to eye on everything, but then, who does?

A couple of ladies called me over, one of them saying that she had a question. I said that I had an answer. I was expecting either a contentious question or one of the usual are-you-allowed-to-do-thats or are-you-a-cops. Instead, she was down with our carry, had even identified a few of the handguns to her table-companion, and just wondered who we were. We chatted for a few minutes before I rejoined the group.

The group included two minors, including one who was OC--the usual suspect. He and his dad were both sporting far more hair than when I saw them last.

Oh, and no one got shot.
They called you over, not because of your ruggedly handsome good looks, as depicted in your membership photo, but for your gat, it seems. How do you feel about that?

eye95

They called you over, not because of your ruggedly handsome good looks, as depicted in your membership photo, but for your gat, it seems. How do you feel about that?

It would seem that my "compensation" is working.

Anyway, if looks were a factor in this convo, I would have run screaming from their table. These two apparently were regulars at the Buffet and ALWAYS got their money's worth!

commonsense1776

And other posters on this site wonder why I have an issue with openly carrying firearms after the comment about a McDonald's Restaurant in the Ashland/Mansfield area. What a great image and attitude this represents of firearm owners.

eye95

And other posters on this site wonder why I have an issue with openly carrying firearms after the comment about a McDonald's Restaurant in the Ashland/Mansfield area. What a great image and attitude this represents of firearm owners.

If you have an issue with OC, then don't OC. We don't care whether you do or don't. You can even tell us you'd rather we didn't. (We'll just dismiss your opinion.) However, don't ever advocate for government to impose your will on us. That is when we will have a problem.

MyWifeSaidYes

And there you have the level of intelligent conversation you get from common, even on other forums where he espouses the same rhetoric.

Somehow he believes that open carry, that has been legal in Ohio over 200 years longer than our CHL system, will somehow harm gun ownership in Ohio.

He has never provided a reasonable explanation for his opinion.

MyWifeSaidYes

And the posters wonder why I have an issue with openly carrying firearms. The comments regarding the McDonald's in the Ashland/Mansfield area are those that I believe are detrimental to gun ownership.

The comments expressed by MtnDEWD are those of someone new to open carry. If he has an open mind, there will be offers of advice on when and how to open carry. Some advice has already been posted.

MtnDEWD did not say he was going to go shoot up a McD's, he was just going to open carry there. Nothing illegal in that. If he's not doing anything wrong, I fail to see how he's harming gun ownership.

In fact, I have seen NO anti-gun group say anything about openly carried handguns in Ohio. I have also not seen any bills introduced at the statehouse that affect openly carried handguns in any way.

The community will work with MtnDEWD to make sure he's doing the right things for the right reasons. That is what will protect him. Him doing the right things will protect the community. The community doing the right things will protect our rights of gun ownership.

MyWifeSaidYes

I will be working the Ohioans for Concealed Carry (OFCC - ohioccw.org) table at the Westland gun show in Columbus on Feb. 1 & 2.

Stop by, introduce yourself and we can chat. There will probably be a couple other folks there, also open carriers, that may be able to make a better argument on why open carry is not a bad thing.

Why some concealed carriers, who are late to the party as far as many open carriers are concerned, don't think anyone should open carry, I don't know.

If I were to cop an attitude about it...open carriers were here first.

Why common can't simply choose to conceal and stop telling people that OC is bad and just let us live with OUR choice of carry method, again, I don't know.

Chuck!

If I were to cop an attitude about it...open carriers were here first.

Reminds me of our big Counter rally to the Mad Mayors last year

I was chatting with the Columbus PD Sargent about what was going on when this other fellow decided he wanted to join the conversation
He walked up and interrupted us with this well rehearsed notification speech, "Officer, I am required to inform you under the Ohio revised Code that I have an Ohio license to carry a concealed handgun and I am currently armed at this time"
To which the cop replied "You're concealed? Let's have it. Show me your license"
While he was digging his license out out of his wallet the cop said "Your ID too. He's, (indicating me) carrying open, so I don't care, but if you're concealing I want your license"

I got a kick out of it,,,,